Andre Smith arrested

[b] Andre Smith arrested in Atlanta[/b]

Posted by Josh Alper on January 18, 2013, 1:52 PM EST

[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/300x-53.jpg?w=375[/img]

Bengals tackle Andre Smith is set to become a free agent in March if he doesn’t work out a deal with the team or get the franchise tag.
He may have some legal issues to sort through while trying to secure his football future, however. WCPO-TV is reporting that Smith [url="http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/football/bengals/bengals-offensive-lineman-andre-smith-arrested-after-allegedly-bringing-gun-to-airport"]was arrested in[/url] Atlanta Thursday for allegedly trying to bring a gun onboard an airplane.
Atlanta police say that Smith tried to board an airplane at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport with a .380 caliber handgun among his belongings. Smith was in court on Friday and got released on a $3,000 bond.
Smith, a 2009 first-round pick, turned in his strongest NFL season in 2012. While the arrest could lead to discipline from the NFL, it’s likely that he’ll still be a prized commodity if he hits the open market.

[url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/andre-smith-arrested-in-atlanta/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/andre-smith-arrested-in-atlanta/[/url]

I believe that people should have the right to carry guns if they want to, but I would never say that forgetting where your gun is is "no big deal"

I know it happens a lot, but that does not mean it is not a big deal.

Dre won't get hit too hard by the NFL for this so I doubt it will make much difference in his contract negotiations either way.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1358540774' post='1209338']
I believe that people should have the right to carry guns if they want to, but I would never say that forgetting where your gun is is "no big deal"

I know it happens a lot, but that does not mean it is not a big deal.

Dre won't get hit too hard by the NFL for this so I doubt it will make much difference in his contract negotiations either way.
[/quote]
I agree that it's pretty bad to forget where your gun is but if he's got a lot of them I can understand how he might lose track of one. Doesn't make it ok but at least understandable.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358540950' post='1209340']
I agree that it's pretty bad to forget where your gun is but if he's got a lot of them I can understand how he might lose track of one. Doesn't make it ok but at least understandable.
[/quote]

I don't see how its ever understandable.

He's also got a little daughter at home.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358541474' post='1209345']

I don't see how its ever understandable.

He's also got a little daughter at home.
[/quote]
If I have a lot of a particular thing I might misplace one and not realize it. that's how it's understandable. note that I also said it's not ok?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1358538121' post='1209319']
2nd Ammendment

:)
[/quote]

I had to laugh because it was my first thought with the storylines on the news yesterday....

But I know not to get in any political discussion on here.....

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358542601' post='1209357']

its not a particular thing, its a fucking gun!
[/quote]
I don't get what you're fired up about, you did see the part where I said it's not ok right? an unloaded gun stored securely in my own home is not something I have on my mind so if I had say 10 of them yeah maybe I'd forget that I left one in my luggage as a storing place. You seem to be thinking I'm saying he just misplaced it, left it sitting around. And I'm using the word understandable in a very literal sense as in I understand how this happened, again, not saying it's ok. I shouldn't have said misplaced earlier, that's not what I meant.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1358543303' post='1209367']
I don't get what you're fired up about, you did see the part where I said it's not ok right? an unloaded gun stored securely in my own home is not something I have on my mind so if I had say 10 of them yeah maybe I'd forget that I left one in my luggage as a storing place. You seem to be thinking I'm saying he just misplaced it, left it sitting around. And I'm using the word understandable in a very literal sense as in I understand how this happened, again, not saying it's ok. I shouldn't have said misplaced earlier, that's not what I meant.
[/quote]

I get you're saying its not ok.

However, I don't see it "understandable" in any way that he forgot it was in there, no matter how many guns he may have. If people can't responsibly keep track of their guns, they shouldn't be allowed to have one.

What if, before he left for the airport, his 1yr old daughter had crawled over to his bag and started opening the zippers (a reasonable thing for a baby to do)?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358543526' post='1209369']

However, I don't see it "understandable" in any way that he forgot it was in there, no matter how many guns he may have. If people can't responsibly keep track of their guns, they shouldn't be allowed to have one.

What if, before he left for the airport, his 1yr old daughter had crawled over to his bag and started opening the zippers (a reasonable thing for a baby to do)?
[/quote]
She would have had a tough time loading it and cocking it. Andre will and should be penalized for this and should have his gun ownership credentials examined at least. I would expect a judge to give him a lecture about proper gun storage and such, I wouldn't even be against him having to turn over that particular gun, and any others he has, and provide proof that he has a gun safe before he can get them back. But the gun that went through the airport he loses. I respect his right to own guns but if he's proving to be irresponsible with them then he's going to have to deal with the consequences. I still understand how it happened though and don't think any less of him as a human being for it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1358543526' post='1209369']

[/quote]

You're also making the assumption that it was loaded. It very well may have been, but if not it's really no more dangerous than a rock the size of your fist. I also think you're stretching things a little with the baby crawling on the luggage, opening it up, rifling through the clothes inside, pulling the gun out and or discharging it in some way. Not impossible, but also not very likely.

It was a dumb thing that Dre did. Doesn't mean people should get all up in arms about it though.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1358544576' post='1209377']
B1181. You are assuming it was loaded. And someone correct me from what I read it was not because that would be have been a totally different charge.
[/quote]

I'm not assuming its loaded. I don't think it not being loaded makes it any more "understandable." Nor does the fact that it's not an uncommon occurrence.

It's stupid and wreckless whether it was loaded or there were no bullets in the bag whatsoever. It's never "understandable" to not know where your gun is, regardless of how many guns you own.

Archived