2013 NFL Combine

Lewis on Rey... #bengals we want all our guys back

Ha. What a BS canned response. I'm sure they want Bernard Scott back so badly they've offered him all the concession stand nachos he can eat. And how could they possibly fill the shoes of Richard Quinn? Or who else could possibly give the fans that unique feeling in the pits of their stomachs from watching Tate set up to return a kick?

Geoff Hobson ‏@GeoffHobsonCin
Lewis on Rey... #bengals we want all our guys back

I suspect there won't be a huge market for Rey, so it is possible he is brought back to play limited snaps as the strong side LB. but there could be some 3-4 teams that are willing to give him a decent contract. His skill set is probably a better fit for those teams.

If he's cheap, I wouldn't mind him back. I think there is some chance that he has an experience similar to Pat Sims where the outside interest just isn't really there and he has to take a 1 year deal for around 1 or 2 million.

Speaking of cheap, it will be really interesting to watch FA play out. Looking at the guys on the market, I think some bigger names are going to get a lot less than they think they will. I could see the Bengals avoiding the early frenzy like they always do and finding some real bargains later on in the process. I know the most likely route to improve RB is the draft, but there could end up being some good FA RBs who are surprisingly cheap. Could see the Bengals waiting it out and getting a guy on a dirt cheap 1 year deal.

Didn't sound like Lewis was ready to cut ties with Rey Maualuga. Said he's in same ballpark as team's other FAs as the priority to sign.

When asked about Rey's comments about "auditioning" in the playoff game, Marvin said he "needs to be more comfortable in his own skin."

Lewis says he would evaluate Te'o more on his game tape than what has happened since the end of the season.

Says he isn't sure he could fully understand Te'o from just a 15 minute interview.

#Bengals...Lewis says open competition at center

With this news half the board got a chubby!

Lewis says the only position the Bengals won't consider in the draft is starting QB. Calls Dalton "our guy".

And with this news Go is all but assured to make 0 appearances in 2013.

Well, Marvin mentioned competition with a specific mention of the Center in a few different iterations, so that makes me happy.  As long as Robinson gets an honest shot, I'm going to feel a lot better about that spot.

I also love the emphasis on competition, in general, as I think THAT's what's really helped turn this team around in the post Palmer era.  It also makes the draft much more exciting.  Having a capable starter is nice, but if you can upgrade by bringing in a new guy, why not?

Tavon Austin: I’m the best player in the draft
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
tavonaustin.jpg?w=250AP

For many prospects at the Scouting Combine, the primary goal when standing up at the podium in front of the assembled media is not to say anything controversial. But West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin is different.

Austin brashly proclaimed himself the best player in the draft when it was his turn to meet the media in Indianapolis. Asked if he views himself as the top player available at any position, Austin answered, “I think so.”

I think I am the all around best player in the draft,” Austin continued.

Austin is certainly a playmaker: In his senior season at West Virginia he caught 114 passes for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns, ran the ball 72 times for 643 yards and three touchdowns, returned 15 punts for 165 yards and one touchdown, and returned 33 kickoffs for 813 yards and one touchdown. In the NFL, he said, he’ll be a combination of Percy Harvin and Wes Welker.

Tavon Austin is not lacking for confidence.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/tavon-austin-im-the-best-player-in-the-draft/

on the topic of Patterson, LOL.

1. At #NFLCombine:RT @JoshNorris: Cordarrelle Patterson checked in at 6'1 7/8" and 216 pounds, per @BryanBroaddus. No issues there.

2. @Vol_Football @joshnorris @bryanbroaddus that's def false. Patterson is at least 6'3

3. @tyler_D_fish9 @vol_football @joshnorris @bryanbroaddus lol ya the combine is lying and your right. Did you measure him personally?

4. @UTvolsUT @vol_football @joshnorris @bryanbroaddus oh so his sister @CrystalPatt84 Is lying if she says he's 6'4? Yea that's what I thought

5. @tyler_D_fish9 I just checked with two teams that had him measured at 6017 as well so don't know what else to tell you.

@BryanBroaddus there's no absolute way he's just 6'1 Bryan. I'm sorry I can't agree with that

Yeah, but we'd have to take him with our 2nd 2nd - if he even lasts that long.  

I was happy with the trade down last year, but this year I'd be ecstatic if we did the same.

I'd be sad to watch the first round for 2 hours only to have us trade out but at the same time there isn't a huge difference in talent from the top guys and the 2nd round prospects.

If say Arizona takes Fisher 7th and Glennon is there at 21, I'd sure as shit give them 21 for their 2nd and 3rd.

I'm just not sure he's that much better of an option than Sanu.  Big and strong, but word on Rogers is that he may lack explosiveness/top-end speed.

He's much more explosive than Sanu. I haven't watched any videos of him but from the few scouting reports I've read all list his speed as a strength.

I'd be sad to watch the first round for 2 hours only to have us trade out but at the same time there isn't a huge difference in talent from the top guys and the 2nd round prospects.

If say Arizona takes Fisher 7th and Glennon is there at 21, I'd sure as shit give them 21 for their 2nd and 3rd.

There are a few teams needing a QB but from what I've read not many (any?) that are really worthy of a high first round pick.  One of those teams might be willing to give up a lot in order to get back into the first round.

Archived