2013 NFL Combine

Kniles has speed, but no wiggle.  He had a horrible short shuttle(4.38).  I always look at SS compared to 40 time, .30 diff is good, .40 diff is great.  Guys with a good combo (4.55 or faster 40 combined with a 4.20 or faster SS) were Michael, Bernard, Williams, Stacey and Barner.

I'm right there with you, man.  Obviously I'm not or ever will be a scout, but if I were, I'd be looking at the 3 cone and shuttle times before I looked at the 40.  Maybe the 10 yard dash.  But the chances of a running back going untouched through the hole is very, very, unlikely.  Looking at this agility and his acceleration is a great indicator of a backs ability to change direction (shuttle) and make people miss (agility).  Then when he can do that, he may see 40 yards worth of free space.

I'm right there with you, man.  Obviously I'm not or ever will be a scout, but if I were, I'd be looking at the 3 cone and shuttle times before I looked at the 40.  Maybe the 10 yard dash.  But the chances of a running back going untouched through the hole is very, very, unlikely.  Looking at this agility and his acceleration is a great indicator of a backs ability to change direction (shuttle) and make people miss (agility).  Then when he can do that, he may see 40 yards worth of free space.

yep.  vision and change of direction ability trump top end speed.  

He had 1 (granted, prolonged) incident.  But other than that one incident (which wasn't criminal in anyway) he was looked at as a ++ character guy.  I don't think you can classify him as a "headache".

Not saying he would be a headache, rather the media following him around.

I hated the guy with a passion, but I wish we could have the bus v2.  Just incredible to be that good, that big.

He ran behind a great o line which allowed him to run downhill then over trembling LBS and safeties. Still, dude ran HARD.

RB Adrian Peterson's Combine stats, just for comparison:

Ht: 6-2

Wt: 217

40 Yard Dash: 4.40

10 Yard Split: 1.53

Bench Press: N/A

Vertical Jump: 38.5

Broad Jump: 10'7"

20 Yard Shuttle: 4.40

3 Cone Drill: 7.09

Speed Score = (217 x 200) / (4.40 ^4) = 43400 / 374.8096 = 115.8 (rounded up)

He ran behind a great o line which allowed him to run downhill then over trembling LBS and safeties. Still, dude ran HARD.

Yes, and vs. the Bengals, a lot of times they seemed to bottle him up pretty well early, but he just ran them over as the game progressed.

Yes, and vs. the Bengals, a lot of times they seemed to bottle him up pretty well early, but he just ran them over as the game progressed.

Cowher and that team had the mentality and defense to just keep feeding him.

One of the most frustrating deals because the Bengals almost had the opposite.  Holy Shit!  we are down 3 we can't give it to Corey Dillon anymore.    

5. I think, still, that Manti Te'o will be a first-round pick (not past No. 21 to Cincinnati). As one scout told me over the weekend, if you assume Te'o is likely to be a two-down player out of the lineup on most third downs, or passing downs, then the importance of his 40 time diminishes. And his 10- and 20-yard intervals were in the range of what players who run 4.6-second 40s would do. So if you assume it's important for an inside linebacker to have good burst, strength and instinct, then a guy with fast 10-yard speed is going to be valuable for that position.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130304/joe-flacco-tom-brady-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2MZt8IOpY

5. I think, still, that Manti Te'o will be a first-round pick (not past No. 21 to Cincinnati). As one scout told me over the weekend, if you assume Te'o is likely to be a two-down player out of the lineup on most third downs, or passing downs, then the importance of his 40 time diminishes. And his 10- and 20-yard intervals were in the range of what players who run 4.6-second 40s would do. So if you assume it's important for an inside linebacker to have good burst, strength and instinct, then a guy with fast 10-yard speed is going to be valuable for that position.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130304/joe-flacco-tom-brady-peter-king-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2MZt8IOpY

Yeah but do you want a first round lb that only plays 2 downs?

It always makes me laugh how they go "Damn this player measured up terribly in the combine and decimated their stock, they're only likely to be one of the 30 best players in the draft".

Tape is all that matters. How often have you ever seen a player perform a broad jump, or a tackle run 40 yards? If they can play, they can play. How fast they can run in shorts isn't really important.

It always makes me laugh how they go "Damn this player measured up terribly in the combine and decimated their stock, they're only likely to be one of the 30 best players in the draft".

Tape is all that matters. How often have you ever seen a player perform a broad jump, or a tackle run 40 yards? If they can play, they can play. How fast they can run in shorts isn't really important.

x2

If tape was all that mattered, they wouldn't hold the combine. 

The combine helps NFL people to know how a player potentially projects into the NFL.  His workout numbers help to determine that....it's not the end all be all but it is a tremendous help in projections.   Teo specifically, had decent key numbers you would look at for a MLB.   His 4.82 isn't true either because of his instincts.  I'd rather have a 4.82 instinctual player than a 4.6 guy who has no instincts.  Teo is going to be decent in the NFL but won't be a 1st Rd pick IMO. 

speaking of combine workouts, I thought this was interesting...

(1/2) This is wild. Per @DanPompei#BYU DE Ziggy Ansah did not train for the Combine. Just kept going to class:

(2/2) Ansah's 4.63 40 ranked 6th among DLs. 34 1/2" vert tied for 7th. 9'10" broad jump was top10. Only Mingo had faster 10-yd split (1.56).

If tape was all that mattered, they wouldn't hold the combine. 

The combine helps NFL people to know how a player potentially projects into the NFL.  His workout numbers help to determine that....it's not the end all be all but it is a tremendous help in projections.   Teo specifically, had decent key numbers you would look at for a MLB.   His 4.82 isn't true either because of his instincts.  I'd rather have a 4.82 instinctual player than a 4.6 guy who has no instincts.  Teo is going to be decent in the NFL but won't be a 1st Rd pick IMO. 

The combine matters to NFL player personnel mostly for interviews and medical exams.

Archived