2013 NFL Combine

Looking over the list of measurments from the combine (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/22/4016994/2013-nfl-combine-measurements-for-offensive-linemen), Barrett Jones actually has better size and length than I was expecting.

I kind of assumed that the reason he might be falling a little bit was that he maybe had short arms or something. But 6'4 with 34+ inch arms is pretty ideal for an OG...

I have not seen him play.  My question is this.  Is he better enough than Hawkins to warrant taking him as high as he is expected to go?  

Yes. He is one of the best open field guys I've ever seen. Unreal - can do it all. I like Hawk a lot but Austin is a lot better, IMO.

He's definitely confident, but not a knucklehead.

Looking over the list of measurments from the combine (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/22/4016994/2013-nfl-combine-measurements-for-offensive-linemen), Barrett Jones actually has better size and length than I was expecting.

I kind of assumed that the reason he might be falling a little bit was that he maybe had short arms or something. But 6'4 with 34+ inch arms is pretty ideal for an OG...

He lind of looks like Chris Farley :lol:

Here is a list for comparison taken from Bengal's players prior to the draft;

---Jones:  Height: 6-4   Weight: 305

Boling:  Height: 6-5   Weight: 308

Cook:  Height: 6-4   Weight: 291

Whitworth:  Height: 6-7   Weight: 334

Smith:  Height: 6-4   Weight: 332

Zeitler:  Height: 6-4   Weight: 314

FWIW

Walterfootball is saying the Bengals met with Lane Johnson at the Combine.

I've only seen highlites but it was enough to tell he plays with an edge.

Pancakes guys and then stands over them. Picks up the safety blitz and then follows the beaten player towards the defensive huddle...jaw bumping the whole way. After the snap points at the guy he blocked and says who knows what while the other guy tries his best to ignore him. In short, very aggressive and demonstrative for an offensive lineman.

I've only seen highlites but it was enough to tell he plays with an edge.

Pancakes guys and then stands over them. Picks up the safety blitz and then follows the beaten player towards the defensive huddle...jaw bumping the whole way. After the snap points at the guy he blocked and says who knows what while the other guy tries his best to ignore him. In short, very aggressive and demonstrative for an offensive lineman.

So do the draft Lane Johnson and move Whitworth to RT (or LG) conspiracies start now?  :whistle:

I have not seen him play.  My question is this.  Is he better enough than Hawkins to warrant taking him as high as he is expected to go?  

I don't think you let Andrew Hawkins keep you away from drafting the most explosive player in the draft.  You could put both guys on the field at the same time as well, with Tavon having ability to play running back.  Plus Tavon Austin can return both kicks and punts.  

You could pretty much eliminate B.Scott from the team if you took Austin.  

love the way he plays, but unless you give him one of the RB spots, I'm not sure how you put a 5'8 Austin and a 5'7 Hawkins on the same team, and I don't see Hawkins going anywhere.

Three pounds over listed weight RT @BryanBroaddus: Tavon Austin WR of West Virginia measured 5084 174 this morning.

yeah, i'd have to totally agree with that one. one is enough, plenty enough. keep one for gadget type plays and you've filled your quota. i just don't think it's smart to lean on size disadvantaged players for the bread and butter of your offense. once they're overused, it tends to limit their effectiveness. also, i think it's important to surround this particular QB with big targets, guys with a huge catching radius. mother nature eliminates size disadvantaged guys from qualifying to those standards, much as we experienced last year with baby hawk and several throws he just couldn't get to...drive killing throws. i'm not saying cut him, just reduce his role and our reliance on him and i think we'll see our offense function at a better clip.

I have never understood or agreed with this line of thinking. If the man has proven that he can't do the job, I don't care if his salary is 10 million or the league minimum, he shouldn't be on the field for the Bengals. A cheap failure is still a failure.

Can he do Skuta's job, though?

I don't think you let Andrew Hawkins keep you away from drafting the most explosive player in the draft.  You could put both guys on the field at the same time as well, with Tavon having ability to play running back.  Plus Tavon Austin can return both kicks and punts.  

You could pretty much eliminate B.Scott from the team if you took Austin.  

Agree. I don't think Hawkins is anything special but Austin just seems to be a gamebreaker at about four different positions. Dude is bad ass with the football in his hands

Archived