2013 NFL Combine

I'd be sad to watch the first round for 2 hours only to have us trade out but at the same time there isn't a huge difference in talent from the top guys and the 2nd round prospects.

If say Arizona takes Fisher 7th and Glennon is there at 21, I'd sure as shit give them 21 for their 2nd and 3rd.

I have a good feeling about the QB Manuel from Florida State.  Someone is going to want to wait to the top of the second where all of the QB Needy teams who didn't take a guy in the 1st will be hoping they can find this year's AD or Kapernick.

I suspect there won't be a huge market for Rey, so it is possible he is brought back to play limited snaps as the strong side LB. but there could be some 3-4 teams that are willing to give him a decent contract. His skill set is probably a better fit for those teams.

If he's cheap, I wouldn't mind him back. I think there is some chance that he has an experience similar to Pat Sims where the outside interest just isn't really there and he has to take a 1 year deal for around 1 or 2 million.

Speaking of cheap, it will be really interesting to watch FA play out. Looking at the guys on the market, I think some bigger names are going to get a lot less than they think they will. I could see the Bengals avoiding the early frenzy like they always do and finding some real bargains later on in the process. I know the most likely route to improve RB is the draft, but there could end up being some good FA RBs who are surprisingly cheap. Could see the Bengals waiting it out and getting a guy on a dirt cheap 1 year deal.

I have never understood or agreed with this line of thinking. If the man has proven that he can't do the job, I don't care if his salary is 10 million or the league minimum, he shouldn't be on the field for the Bengals. A cheap failure is still a failure.

I have never understood or agreed with this line of thinking. If the man has proven that he can't do the job, I don't care if his salary is 10 million or the league minimum, he shouldn't be on the field for the Bengals. A cheap failure is still a failure.

just because they're moving on from him as starting MLB doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable backup or worth having in a competition at SLB, where he had his best season as a pro.  

It's hard to not get excited thinking about Tavon Austin in this offense.  I worry about his demeanor, though.  It is nice to have confidence, but it just screams Titus Young to me for whatever reason.

He would be the perfect compliment running back and also could steal the slot receiving position as well.  Could take Tate's spot.

I don't understand this.   What has been our Defense ranking over the years Rey has started in the system?   "Can't do the job" is subjective as is the assignment of "failure".

They could resign Rey tomorrow and that's not a negative.   Reality is we are trying to go from very good defense to Elite.    We need overall LB play along with S play to achieve that.

That doesn't necessarily mean Rey can't be a starting piece or depth.

There is a reason the roster isn't limited to just 22 guys. 

It's hard to not get excited thinking about Tavon Austin in this offense.  I worry about his demeanor, though.  It is nice to have confidence, but it just screams Titus Young to me for whatever reason.

He would be the perfect compliment running back and also could steal the slot receiving position as well.  Could take Tate's spot.

I have not seen him play.  My question is this.  Is he better enough than Hawkins to warrant taking him as high as he is expected to go?  

just because they're moving on from him as starting MLB doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable backup or worth having in a competition at SLB, where he had his best season as a pro.  

The thing with Rey is that he's played really well at times. Putting him at SAM with no responsibilities much beyond "see ball - get ball" could make all the difference. I doubt his phone is blowing up with offers, either.

Either way I expect there'll be some new faces at LB whether draft pick, free agent, or both.

I have not seen him play.  My question is this.  Is he better enough than Hawkins to warrant taking him as high as he is expected to go?  

he's certainly better than Hawkins, but I don't think that matters that much.  IMO Austin, while undersized, has the talent to play outside opposite AJ.  He'd also be a gamechanger at kick returner and punt returner, and also can be a change of pace running back for 6-7 carries a game.  So you're not just filling one spot, you're filling four.

I don't know that I'd take him at 21, but wouldn't hate it.  At 37 he'd be a great value.  

The thing with Rey is that he's played really well at times. Putting him at SAM with no responsibilities much beyond "see ball - get ball" could make all the difference. I doubt his phone is blowing up with offers, either.

Either way I expect there'll be some new faces at LB whether draft pick, free agent, or both.

as long as he's in a quality competition and has to earn his way back in the lineup, I'd have no problem with him being back.  They can't just hand him his job back though, and he has to be in a competition with better guys than Moch, Maybin, and Lamur.

It's not that complicated. I don't want to pay him starting MLB money. However, if we can get him cheap to compete for playing time at SLB on obvious running downs and be the backup MLB, then that works.

In my opinion, he's proven that he is a below average starting MLB. That doesn't mean he isn't an NFL player at all. He'd be a very good backup. Same with a guy like Pat Sims. I wouldn't pay him starter money, but he's a nice guy to have as a backup.

Barret Jones foot surgery has him out "4 months" and "hopefully" ready in time for May mini camps.  

Will he drop to the 4th?

I saw a report somewhere (Gil Brandt maybe?) saying that nobody he talked to had him rated as a 1st or 2nd rounder. He might be one of those guys who is a better college player than pro prospect.

If he did fall to the 4th. Maybe even the late 3rd, he'd be exactly the type of versatile OL who would be a great addition and could backup multiple spots.

I think we'll be adding at least one OL in the draft, maybe 2 if we lose Andre. Although we've actually had much better luck with undrafted FAs (Cook, Robinson) in recent years than we have late draft picks (Hudson, Stephens, etc.).

If he did fall to the 4th. Maybe even the late 3rd, he'd be exactly the type of versatile OL who would be a great addition and could backup multiple spots.

That's EXACTLY my interest in him.  I mean the guy won the Outland for the best lineman in college football as a Junior - playing Left Tackle.  

That's a utility man extraordinaire I'd be happy to have join the team.

I saw a report somewhere (Gil Brandt maybe?) saying that nobody he talked to had him rated as a 1st or 2nd rounder. He might be one of those guys who is a better college player than pro prospect.

I think we'll be adding at least one OL in the draft, maybe 2 if we lose Andre. Although we've actually had much better luck with undrafted FAs (Cook, Robinson) in recent years than we have late draft picks (Hudson, Stephens, etc.).

There's a lot to be said for that "undrafted, chip on your shoulder" mentality.  Just ask Burfict.

Barret Jones foot surgery has him out "4 months" and "hopefully" ready in time for May mini camps.  

Will he drop to the 4th?

Jones had the Surgery in January.  I'm not a doctor or a therapist.  Approximately January 9th of this year Jones underwent surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisfranc_injury

Lisfranc injury

(other players with this type of injury)....Matt Schaub, Darren McFadden, Santonio Holmes, Ryan Kalil, DeMarco Murray, Maurice Jones-Drew and Cedric Benson, and most often occurs when the athlete's foot is plantar flexed and another player lands on the heel.

Treatment

Treatment options include operative or non-operative treatment. If the dislocation is less than 2 mm, the fracture can be managed with casting for six weeks.[11] The patient's injured limb cannot bear weight during this period. For severe Lisfranc injuries, open reduction with internal fixation (ORIF) and temporary screw or Kirschner wire (K-wire) fixation is the treatment of choice.[12] The foot cannot be allowed to bear weight for a minimum of six weeks. Partial weight-bearing may then begin, with full weight bearing after an additional several weeks, depending on the specific injury. K-wires are typically removed after six weeks, before weight bearing, while screws are often removed after 12 weeks.

http://alabama.scout.com/2/1255737.html

By Laken Litman
Writer/Reporter
Posted Jan 8, 2013

Alabama center Barrett Jones will have surgery Wednesday to repair several torn ligaments in his foot. Thought initially to be just a sprain, Jones said that the injury will keep him away from football for 3-4 months.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article/Offensive-line-group-could-make-big-splash-in-NFL-4298375.php#photo-4231417

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Yet his biggest hurdle is staying healthy. Jones can't work out in Indy because he's only six weeks into a four-month recovery from surgery to repair a Lisfranc injury in his left foot.

628x471.jpg

According to the picture above he is already allowing his foot to be weight bearing.  According to the lisfranc injury info listed above, he is right on track or maybe even ahead of schedule depending on the severity of the injury.  In other words he could be ready to start training in about another 6 weeks.  This sort of confirms what Jones said back on January the 8th.

Anyone know how much of the season he played with the broken foot?  I just heard it was for a while.  I suppose that could certainly affect one's mobility...

According to one of the articles read, he played on it for one or two games like that.

There's a lot to be said for that "undrafted, chip on your shoulder" mentality.  Just ask Burfict.

Definitely. No sense of entitlement with those guys like you sometiems see with the real early picks.

I also think there are certain positions that you are more likely to find good undrafted guys. Tough to find a good undrafted CB because speed is such a huge deal for them and fast guys usually end up getting drafted.

But positions like Center (and to a lesser extent LB), the mental aspect is just as important as the physical aspect. You have to have enough size and strength to block guys, but the toughest part of the job is understanding all the protections against different blitz packages, etc. Both Cook and Robinson are really, really bright guys though not the biggest or most athletic. I think Barrett Jones kind of falls into that category also. I've heard he is extremely smart. Not freakishly strong like Warmack. Or super athletic like Lane Johnson. Not elite size like Fluker. But just a really solid, smart, tough guy who gets the job done. Would love to have him here.

Archived