Trying to Mentally Prepare for FA

This is a difficult time of year as a Bengals fan given the team's minimal FA participation history.  I try to tone down my anticipation of big deals at the start fo FA and patiently wait a week or two and take the deals as they gradually come. Which isn't necessarily bad since a lot of marquee FAs don't pan out and there aren't any gaping holes in their roster that need to be filled in FA IMHO. As long as they retain some key Bengal FAs on defense. And possibly Andre Smith, I'm not sure how dispensible he is.  It would depend on his demands.   

Your thoughts?

Andre Smith is the only one I have any concern about losing.  Everyone else I'd like back, I think will be back.  I think Andre may end up surprised about his worth though.

As for bringing in new blood, I don't expect anything bigger than Wharton/Howard tier guys, and I'm ok with that.  

Build through the draft (ie draft your stars), supplement in free agency.

My expectations are to resign jones, maybe Newman, get a long term deal with at least one of Dunlap or MJ, Howard, and Andre. From there maybe 2-3 other solid role play type starters similar to last year with Ellis Allen and Wharton, even though 2 of the 3 ended up injured all year.

If we don't get Andre resigned then I expect us to do more with outside free agents, maybe sign one or two more guys than above or at least 1 top 20 free agent.

Ideally with this type of team you keep the core here and fill in the holes with role player type guys and draft guys that hopefully take over.

I think it's one of the best times of the offseason.   There are so many classic meltdowns.   I would like to encourage people to drink and think unrationally during the next few days as that generates quality threads.

My thoughts as a whole are the Bengals are judged unfairly today in regards to FA.   It just seems fans have the Bengals mid-evil approached to Free Agency back in the early 90s burned into their minds and will not let it go.

It almost seems like a repeat every year.   The first few days of FA are painful for alot of Bengal fans (I think it's the most enjoyable).   This group gets all worked up about what other teams are doing/paying/player movement.    Bengals typically are quiet.   This launches classic threads.   Then eventually the Bengal activity is started to be released and then the revenge threads get started. 

Then poof it's gone and by the end of the draft a whole lot of people like the shape the team is in.   Then by the end of TC people love the team's chances. 

I don't worry about it.  I love the threads that are generated.  I love being a participant in the meltdown.   At the end of the day we are going to look up in September and be thinking about winning the AFC North.   It's just that simple.   We have the core to do it and back to my above comments about Bengals being judged unfairly we have the Management mindset to improve the team.

We've seen all sorts of attempts to acquire "outside" talent.   The Bengals aren't going to all of sudden just stop this offseason.   Back in 2008/2009 approx 48-50% of the major players contributing were from other rosters.    A very successful use of Free Agency to bridge the gap.   They are going to get it done.   We just don't know what it will look like. 

Andre Smith is the only one I have any concern about losing.  Everyone else I'd like back, I think will be back.  I think Andre may end up surprised about his worth though.

As for bringing in new blood, I don't expect anything bigger than Wharton/Howard tier guys, and I'm ok with that.  

I'm not really concerned about losing him.   More concerned about keeping him.   I want him back.    But is it wise to dump 9 mil into Andre just because he currently is vaguely referrred to as the "best RT in the league"?

I'm telling you that's like winning "best personality" when you were hoping for "best looking".    I don't think Andre has a lock on the best RT in the league title, either. 

I'd almost wish we'd take a look at Loadholt or go with a versatile rookie.    Although if we sign Andre I hope he becomes undisputed bad ass at the position like Willie Anderson.   

I pretty much agree with this. I don't expect them to sign any big names, and that's fine.

Those big name guys aren't as great with their new teams more often than not.

Still...this is always an exciting and fun time of year...

Ideally if you can resign Andre and our other guys we want back there are really only 2 starting spots that are holes: safety and LB. if you could sign two role player type starters (3mil a year type guys like Ellis and Wharton) you could then be completely BPA in the draft without having to make any reaches. That would be a pretty good position to be in.

I'm not really concerned about losing him.   More concerned about keeping him.   I want him back.    But is it wise to dump 9 mil into Andre just because he currently is vaguely referrred to as the "best RT in the league"?

I'm telling you that's like winning "best personality" when you were hoping for "best looking".    I don't think Andre has a lock on the best RT in the league title, either. 

I'd almost wish we'd take a look at Loadholt or go with a versatile rookie.    Although if we sign Andre I hope he becomes undisputed bad ass at the position like Willie Anderson.   

one thing we know is that the Bengals won't pay him "whatever it takes to keep him" like some teams would.  Maybe they will do that with Green and Atkins, but Andre's not in their class.

I don't think the Bengals will pay him $9 million/yr, but if they do its because they think he's worth it, not because they feel they have to do whatever it takes to keep him.  Unless you're an All-Pro guy, the Benglas just don't work like that.

one thing we know is that the Bengals won't pay him "whatever it takes to keep him" like some teams would.  Maybe they will do that with Green and Atkins, but Andre's not in their class.

I don't think the Bengals will pay him $9 million/yr, but if they do its because they think he's worth it, not because they feel they have to do whatever it takes to keep him.  Unless you're an All-Pro guy, the Benglas just don't work like that.

Pretty much sums up 5 pages worth of my argument in the Andre thread lol

I would like to get a solid Vet Safety.    I just don't know about the price tag they keep throwing around about 8/9.

Outside of our own guys that would probably be the number one priority for me as well.

I did have a dream last night though that we traded a third to Baltimore for anquan boldin.

Not trying to bash you, but I feel like someone says this every year. I'll believe it when it happens I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that was his point he was just making fun of that. I think...

In regards to our free agency, I think many of us are on the same page. Resign our quality guys, add some 2nd tier talent at a position or two, and draft well... My big hope for free agency is that other teams in the North won't manage to do the same. I want to, hopefully, watch over-valued Ravens chase the money. I want to see the Steelers bleed some talent, too.

I would like to see them bring in starter-quality players at SS, SLB, and (potentially) OT.  They've had pretty good luck with rookies but relying on them to fill holes is generally not a recipe for success. The FA's don't have to be stellar, just good enough to make a draft pick earn the spot & hold it down if they don't. 

I think it's one of the best times of the offseason.   There are so many classic meltdowns.   I would like to encourage people to drink and think unrationally during the next few days as that generates quality threads.

My thoughts as a whole are the Bengals are judged unfairly today in regards to FA.   It just seems fans have the Bengals mid-evil approached to Free Agency back in the early 90s burned into their minds and will not let it go.

It almost seems like a repeat every year.   The first few days of FA are painful for alot of Bengal fans (I think it's the most enjoyable).   This group gets all worked up about what other teams are doing/paying/player movement.    Bengals typically are quiet.   This launches classic threads.   Then eventually the Bengal activity is started to be released and then the revenge threads get started. 

Then poof it's gone and by the end of the draft a whole lot of people like the shape the team is in.   Then by the end of TC people love the team's chances. 

I don't worry about it.  I love the threads that are generated.  I love being a participant in the meltdown.   At the end of the day we are going to look up in September and be thinking about winning the AFC North.   It's just that simple.   We have the core to do it and back to my above comments about Bengals being judged unfairly we have the Management mindset to improve the team.

We've seen all sorts of attempts to acquire "outside" talent.   The Bengals aren't going to all of sudden just stop this offseason.   Back in 2008/2009 approx 48-50% of the major players contributing were from other rosters.    A very successful use of Free Agency to bridge the gap.   They are going to get it done.   We just don't know what it will look like. 

Agree 100% with the bolded.  Lets say we lose Andre and don't sign any big name FA.  We're still in good shape to round out the roster in the draft.  Luckily the positions of need (other than maybe LB), O-Line, S, RB are pretty deep with quality players who could step in as starters.  Any spot we need a starter (LBs, S, RB, K, P) is deep in this draft or there's quality (not stellar) free agents.

Even if the Bengals do go out and sign a big name FA, it still won't put them over the top - we still need to draft well.  I don't see anyone in FA that is a make of break player for this team.  So in my mind free agency this season is going to consist of picking up borderline starters and filling in depth (even some of our own like Adam Jones and Howard) .  If somehow we pick up a starting LB or S in free agency it just makes the draft that much more flexible.  I'll be biting my nails in the first week of FA liek everyone else, but my expectations are so low that whatever the team does will be a welcome surprise.

I agree with you.  I guess I was trying to express the anguish of wanting something big to talk about after a month of football lull and nothing happening right away, but recently, as you alluded to, everything seems to pan out by the time camp starts.  So it's just us being selfish fans and wanting to be entertained with big news by March 12 at 4:05 PM. 

I agree with you.  I guess I was trying to express the anguish of wanting something big to talk about after a month of football lull and nothing happening right away, but recently, as you alluded to, everything seems to pan out by the time camp starts.  So it's just us being selfish fans and wanting to be entertained with big news by March 12 at 4:05 PM. 

Yep.     You'll also see teams that trade on draft day seem to get better remarks eventhough nobody know what the hell they got.     Fans love the thrill of action in the moment. 

Archived