1 month out... who you think we take at 21?

82 members have voted

1. 1. With the 21st pick in the 2013 draft the Cincinnati Bengals select:

• RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
    • WR Keenan Allen, California
    • WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia
    • WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
    • OLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
    • OLB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
    • ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
    • S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
    • S Matt Elam, Florida
    • S Jonathan Cyprien, FIU
    • Other (name them)

Christine Michael may be your best back in this class. Zac Stacy is up there too.
Seems like a lot of people like Franklin here... ehhh, I don't know. I'll watch more tomorrow. Looks like he runs a little too upright.

I agree re: Franklin. Runs upright. Might be a good thing in the context of the new helmet rule. ; )

Regarding the Michael love, is there a single good NFL starting RB who never rushed for 900 yards in any of their years in college?

I'm not sure but off the top of my head, every good NFL RB I can think of was a big time producer in college...

RB is a tough position to scout, but it seems to me that college production is a pretty good place to start.

I'm fine with taking a flier on a guy late if you think he has a chance to be better in the NFL than in college, like Bryce Brown, but if you are taking a RB in the first 3 rounds and counting on him to eventually be your starting RB, I want a guy who proved he could do it in college.

Regarding the Michael love, is there a single good NFL starting RB who never rushed for 900 yards in any of their years in college?

I'm not sure but off the top of my head, every good NFL RB I can think of was a big time producer in college...

RB is a tough position to scout, but it seems to me that college production is a pretty good place to start.

I'm fine with taking a flier on a guy late if you think he has a chance to be better in the NFL than in college, like Bryce Brown, but if you are taking a RB in the first 3 rounds and counting on him to eventually be your starting RB, I want a guy who proved he could do it in college.

He has about the same amount of career rushing yards as Arian Foster but a much high ypc avg.

I've seen Watson mocked everywhere from high round one to round four. seems to be a lot of disagreement on how good he is.

The biggest knock on him seems to be he is still too raw to step in day one.  Everything else I have read seems to say the guy has huge upside and has all the physical talent in the world.  The guy has only played 1 year of football EVER.  I think most teams want a guy in the first round they can just plug in particularly on the O and D line.   

I'd punch my neighbor in the face if we went OT in round one. Especially those guys

Watson has HUGE upside.  Athletic Freak and played very well in his first year of football EVER.   It only happens if Andre doesn't sign.

Watson has HUGE upside.  Athletic Freak and played very well in his first year of football EVER.   It only happens if Andre doesn't sign.

He's also a couple years older then the average draft prospect. He's way to raw of a prospect and by the time he figures it out he will be close to 30. Flucker is bad ass in the run game though

He's also a couple years older then the average draft prospect. He's way to raw of a prospect and by the time he figures it out he will be close to 30. Flucker is bad ass in the run game though

Sounds like that project guy DT we had on the roster in 2004 or so that ended up being tasered....Askew, that's it.

Willie Parker?

Willie Parker?

That's a good one, though he has been out of the league for a while. Arian Foster was behind some great backs early in his career but still had a huge junior season with over 1,000 rushing yards and a bunch of receiving yards also.

Interesting that the only 2 comparisons so far were undrafted guys...

4 full seasons. Two different, well respected, coaching staffs. And he never had that breakout season where he at least got to 900 rushing yards...

I dont know. I've seen people I respect saying he is a great talent. But I don't really see it. And I think the ultimate judge of a RB is productivity. If I'm taking a guy in the early rounds, I want to be able to see the production, not just hear a bunch of excuses as to why the guy wasn't an impact player. The guy no showed every single big game his senior year.

That's a good one, though he has been out of the league for a while. Arian Foster was behind some great backs early in his career but still had a huge junior season with over 1,000 rushing yards and a bunch of receiving yards also.

Interesting that the only 2 comparisons so far were undrafted guys...

4 full seasons. Two different, well respected, coaching staffs. And he never had that breakout season where he at least got to 900 rushing yards...

I dont know. I've seen people I respect saying he is a great talent. But I don't really see it. And I think the ultimate judge of a RB is productivity. If I'm taking a guy in the early rounds, I want to be able to see the production, not just hear a bunch of excuses as to why the guy wasn't an impact player. The guy no showed every single big game his senior year.

I just youtube'd highlight videos and of course they're highlights so they're gonna look good, but I don't just look at the play. I look at the breakaway speed, the burst through the hole. Does the guy punish tacklers or does he absorb the hit? How's his vision? Did he see and make that cut back where the field opens up for him? I think Michael has it.

I don't really think it's that close actually. There's definitely not another back like him I've seen so far.

I just youtube'd highlight videos and of course they're highlights so they're gonna look good, but I don't just look at the play. I look at the breakaway speed, the burst through the hole. Does the guy punish tacklers or does he absorb the hit? How's his vision? Did he see and make that cut back where the field opens up for him? I think Michael has it.

I don't really think it's that close actually. There's definitely not another back like him I've seen so far.

Been saying this since January.  From a pure talent perspective no one compares. But there is more to the game than just talent, I guess...

I just don't have much faith in getting Andre back, if he goes then they'll have to replace him with someone...one of Watson/Fluker would seem to be the logical choice. 

C'mon, Spic...I know all off this Andre drama has pissed you off...but step bac a bit and think about it: Watson is (as said) green as grass and Fluker is just a large plodding Alabama facsimile of what is already here. Does this team have the time to even try and develop these ambitious projects? Even if they did...you would want the Bengals to use their best pick on one of these guys?

Been saying this since January.  From a pure talent perspective no one compares. But there is more to the game than just talent, I guess...

If he can dedicate himself, and of course barring injuries, the guy is going to be a beast. He's definitely going to be an interesting prospect to follow.

There are a few NFL running backs who weren't starters or bellcows in college. Peyton Hillis was the college fullback for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones. A friend's nephew had a nice NFL career as a special teamer. Nick Goings was the college backup to Kevan Barlow but was signed as an UDFA by Carolina the year Tim Biakabatuka developed fumblitis. A couple years after that Nick rose up the depth chart due to injuries and even had a string of 100 yard rushing games. He ended up playing 9 years and was in a Super Bowl.

On the whole though, I'd rather play it safe and look for good college production. Let someone else take the longshots,

C'mon, Spic...I know all off this Andre drama has pissed you off...but step bac a bit and think about it: Watson is (as said) green as grass and Fluker is just a large plodding Alabama facsimile of what is already here. Does this team have the time to even try and develop these ambitious projects? Even if they did...you would want the Bengals to use their best pick on one of these guys?

while I think the Andre deal gets done, I'd have no problem with them picking Watson.  I don't think he's nearly as raw as people are claiming.  He's a superb athlete, just needs a little technique refinement. Reminds me of Willie Anderson.

At worst you have Collins or Wharton start at RT the first couple games.

Watson isn't that green.  Played for a 12-2 Florida State team which won the Orange Bowl.  Coaches absolutely loved him and were amazed at his instincts and physical abilities.  Only allowed 1 sack the entire season and has only played 20 games.  There are plenty of guys with WAY more experience with nowhere near the skills this guy has.  Plenty of former basketball players become world class tight ends with little or no football experience.  It won't be that difficult a process to get this guy up to speed particularly if you put him at guard to start out.

Archived