1 month out... who you think we take at 21?

82 members have voted

1. 1. With the 21st pick in the 2013 draft the Cincinnati Bengals select:

• RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
    • WR Keenan Allen, California
    • WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia
    • WR DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
    • OLB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
    • OLB Arthur Brown, Kansas State
    • ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
    • S Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
    • S Matt Elam, Florida
    • S Jonathan Cyprien, FIU
    • Other (name them)

fair enough. I think Te'o gets unfairly downgraded as a player due to the "incident", something I was guilty of myself. I also think he was way over hyped during the season, but bottom line is I think he'd be worth a pick in the 20's based on his on field resume and I think the Bengals may be the only team with the balls/hubris to pick him that high.

as a draft prospect goes:  Te'o was overhyped when people were suggesting a top 10 pick or trade up would be necessary.

He is now right in the Bengals wheel house with 21 and/or 37. 

went with Austin because I don't believe there's any way Vacaro is there at 21

Austin seems like he's shooting up draft boards. I'd be a little surprised if he was on the board but would be happy to have him. It makes me imagine Steve Smith playing next to Randy Moss except we'd have the 2.0 versions.

Did Maualuga play only 38% of the downs when he was starting at SAM!

depends on how much they played nickel.  

On 3rd down and other obvious passing downs, Zimmer moves to a nickel and brings his SLB off the field for a 3rd CB.  The MLB stays on the field because he's got the mic in his helmet, the WLB stays on the field because they are traditionally your best coverage LB anyway. When Maualuga was at SLB, he was the one Zimmer took off the field.

If we go LB I would much prefer a sideline to sideline guy like Brown, Ogletree, Greene to another MLB who needs to be converted to OLB. Though technically Brown and Ogletree were both MLBs in collge :lol: Their skill sets are perfect for it though whereas a guy like Minter or Te'o aren't ideal fits as a weakside guy.

Why would be be a 40% guy?

I keep hearing how we don't need a SAM LB because our starting SAM last year only played like 38% of the downs. It has nothin to do with the position of SAM, it was because of who our starting SAM was last year. If we had a good one, he would have been on the field more.

So stop perpetuating this myth that we don't use that position very much. That's like saying we don't need a change of pace RB because we hardly used one last year. The reason we didn't use one often is because we didn't have one.

If Our starting SLB was one of our 2 best cover LBs, then, yes, he would play more.

Not convinced Jones or Te'o would be that guy.  Especially if Howard is healthy (and re-signed).

depends on how much they played nickel.  

On 3rd down and other obvious passing downs, Zimmer moves to a nickel and brings his SLB off the field for a 3rd CB.  The MLB stays on the field because he's got the mic in his helmet, the WLB stays on the field because they are traditionally your best coverage LB anyway. When Maualuga was at SLB, he was the one Zimmer took off the field.

He put his two best cover LBs on the field rather than there being something intrinsic about having to remove the SAM from the field in those situations. Keith Rivers who was our starter at weakside LB came off the field in nickel situations too. So if we had a SAM that was good, he would stay on the field.

And SAM just refers to the LB lined up on the strong side of the formation - usually the TE side. I highly doubt that we didn't have a LB lined up on the same side as the TE in third down situations. So technically we probably did have someone playing SAM on those passing situations.

I think that Manny didn't play a lot, because in general, he was kind of a hot bag of steaming poo-poo.  Far to small to play on the side where the ball is ran the most.  

But, in general, this league is moving to a passing league.  The linebacker is going to be taken off the field for a CB on obvious passing downs and now even more often because it makes no sense to put a linebacker on these freak wide receivers lining up next to the right tackle.  With this read-option starting to flare up, I think you are going to see more base defense alignments.  We really need a freak athlete at SLB.  A big guy who can occupy a blocker and let other guys fly down the field and make a tackle and a guy who can keep up with these athletic QB's coming into the league.  It may be a phase, but until it phases out, we need to make sure we aren't losing cheap games to it.   

Maualuga and Te'o are alike in skin color only.  Te'o is significantly better in just about every category when it comes to tackling, instincts, aggressiveness, etc.   

If they draft Teo and leave Maualuga in the middle, they would still keep Teo and Burfict in nickel pakages and pull Maualuga on passing downs.

If they draft Teo and leave Maualuga in the middle, they would still keep Teo and Burfict in nickel pakages and pull Maualuga on passing downs.

maybe, but I think if they drafted Te'o they'd leave him in the middle.  more likely, they'd pull Burfict in that scenario.

DC's aren't going to pull the player with the mic in his headset off the field.

Also, if they want an OLB, there are better fits than Te'o.

I am hoping for Keenan Allen or Tavon Austin.

As for who the pick will actually be, I have no idea what the Bengals are thinking. Based on past history, there is a good chance it is someone from a major program. Vaccaro and Elam fit the Bengals past tendencies more than Cyprien for example.

Also would strongly consider a trade down, especially if a team is looking to move up for a QB.

Regarding the focus on major programs, off the top of my head, here are the schools of Marvin's first rounders:

Alabama
Wisconsin
Georgia
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC
Michigan
South Carolina
Georgia
Michigan
USC

So, 2 each from Alabama, USC, Georgia and Michigan.

1 from Oklahoma.

1 from Wisconsin, not quite a powerhouse but known for their OL.

1 from South Carolina, again not quite a powerhouse, but still an SEC program.

Regarding the focus on major programs, off the top of my head, here are the schools of Marvin's first rounders:

Alabama
Wisconsin
Georgia
Oklahoma
Alabama
USC
Michigan
South Carolina
Georgia
Michigan
USC

So, 2 each from Alabama, USC, Georgia and Michigan.

1 from Oklahoma.

1 from Wisconsin, not quite a powerhouse but known for their OL.

1 from South Carolina, again not quite a powerhouse, but still an SEC program.

excellent thing to point out as its quite important.  Posted awhile back the common traits of a Marvin first round pick, with that being one of them:

1. They come from a BCS school, often the SEC (unlike Cyprien)

2. They don't have major character flaws (Ogletree)

3. They aren't projects/highly productive college careers

4. Typically more Need-based than simply BPA.

excellent thing to point out as its quite important.  Posted awhile back the common traits of a Marvin first round pick, with that being one of them:

1. They come from a BCS school, often the SEC (unlike Cyprien)

2. They don't have major character flaws (Ogletree)

3. They aren't projects/highly productive college careers

4. Typically more Need-based than simply BPA.

That would suggest Vaccaro (if he's there) or Elam if he's not.

Either Watson of Fluker.  I would probably lean toward Watson due to athletic ability and as a long term replacement for Whit.  Can probably step into RT  if Andre leaves.

If not it has to be BPA at Safety or WR.

Archived