Skelton vs. Johnson

If Dalton is going to be the team's starter for many years, then they still need to draft a QB in the 3-5 round area next year. That's what the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins and even though they had other team needs, it was still a smart move IMO. No one disputes that QB is easily the most critical position on any team. Why risk going with inadequate backups year after year? Sure, if Dalton never gets hurt it's not a problem...but what happens if he does? I agree with the world that Green and Atkins are both better players than Dalton, but I still say that Dalton is the most irreplaceable player on the current team.

I still have some fantasy scenarios bouncing around in my head from back when we almost signed Vick. I want Johnson to be the backup so I can see some if those played out if Dalton gets hurt.

Would help with the stray dog problem in town too.

If Dalton is going to be the team's starter for many years, then they still need to draft a QB in the 3-5 round area next year. That's what the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins and even though they had other team needs, it was still a smart move IMO. No one disputes that QB is easily the most critical position on any team. Why risk going with inadequate backups year after year? Sure, if Dalton never gets hurt it's not a problem...but what happens if he does? I agree with the world that Green and Atkins are both better players than Dalton, but I still say that Dalton is the most irreplaceable player on the current team.

If that is your priority, Skelton seems a better bet than Johnson.  He's already come in a time or so, and even won some games.  Gradkowski II.

I'm not sure there isn't some CFA talent out there you could put on the roster if you wanted to that could turn out as well as some 5th rounder.

If that is your priority, Skelton seems a better bet than Johnson.  He's already come in a time or so, and even won some games.  Gradkowski II.

I'm not sure there isn't some CFA talent out there you could put on the roster if you wanted to that could turn out as well as some 5th rounder.

Our best bet is to keep Dalton upright. If he gets a significant injury...

I echo this sentiment. Skelton is simply more experienced and proven. Josh had some maniacal numbers in college, but other than being able to run around, hasn't shown that much as a pro.  

Josh Johnson Making Progress In Backup Battle

Posted by Dan Hoard on August 6, 2013 – 11:13 am

I’ll be the first to admit that the passing stats I keep during training camp practices have limited value.  The quarterbacks can’t be hit, the numbers don’t specify if defensive starters are on the field, and a high completion percentage could simply be the result of screens and check-downs.

But the stats do indicate if a quarterback is finding open receivers and making accurate throws and by that measurement, Josh Johnson is making progress.  In the Bengals final two practices before leaving for Atlanta, I had Johnson completing 16-of-20 passes in 11-on-11 drills.

“I felt like I was seeing the field well and getting us in the right plays, and I was able to go out there and make those throws,” said Johnson.  “Day by day I’ve gotten more comfortable within this offense.  I’m learning the guys and I’m trying to take it up another level.”

“His biggest problem is that he just has to play with a little more poise,” said offensive coordinator Jay Gruden.  “He’s so excited and hyper that he ‘shorts out’ sometimes.  But overall, from OTAs until now I think he’s come a long way.  His athletic ability is excellent and the mental side is coming along.”

josh-johnson-440x310.jpg?w=440&h=310

Gruden and Johnson have known each other since 2008 when Josh was a rookie with Tampa Bay and Jay was an offensive assistant on his brother Jon’s coaching staff.

“Jay has climbed the ranks a long way since then,” said Johnson with a laugh.  “His knowledge of the game was always there.  He knew everything that his brother was doing, but his role was certainly different than it is here.”

But the offense that Gruden is running is similar to the one Johnson learned in Tampa Bay.

“We focus on different things here and have a different personnel group from what we had in Tampa,” said Johnson.  “But I did understand the lingo a little bit.  There are some things that are different but a lot of it is similar and that is helpful.”

Johnson started four games for the Bucs in 2009 and another in 2011, but he hasn’t thrown a pass in an NFL regular season game since.  He was among the 49ers final cuts after training camp last year and wound up playing in two games for the Sacramento Mountain Lions of the seemingly defunct United Football League.

“He wants to be coached and he wants to have an opportunity,” said Gruden.  “He’s never really had a legitimate chance.  In Tampa he was a practice squad guy as a rookie and didn’t get many reps, and then they drafted Josh Freeman and he didn’t get any reps at all.  Then he went to San Francisco and they had drafted Kaepernick so he didn’t get any reps there.  This is a great chance for him to finally get the reps and the work and you can see how he is progressing because of it.”

The real test will be the preseason games.  In Thursday’s opener in Atlanta, Andy Dalton is certain to exit early, leaving the bulk of the snaps to Johnson and John Skelton.

“The preseason games are critical,” said Johnson.  “As a backup quarterback, that’s your regular season.  That’s when you are guaranteed to play and you have to go out there and show that you are progressing as a player – especially in this league or you won’t last long.”

“(A preseason game) doesn’t mean anything in the win/loss column, but it means a lot to the guys trying to make the team and it means a lot to us because we’re trying to find those guys,” said Gruden.  “We need to see how guys perform in a live setting because a lot of people can do well out here (in practice) and then fizzle in the games, and other guys look OK out here and then shine in the games.”

In the first depth chart released last week, Johnson was listed ahead of Skelton in the battle to be Dalton’s backup, but Josh says that he isn’t reading much into that.

“We haven’t even played a game yet,” Johnson told me.  “I need to keep the arrow going up.  I’ve been in this business going on six years and a lot happens.  I understand the situation that I’m in so I just try to take it day-by-day and keep making progress.”

I’d love to hear from you at Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net

If you Twitter, you can follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard

And I’m on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dan.hoard.1

http://blogs.bengals.com/2013/08/06/josh-johnson-making-progress-in-backup-battle/

I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely love the preseason.  

In fact, I loved it so much I sat through a fricking downpour a couple of years ago and stuck through first hand what has turned out to be a turning point moment in franchise history: Andy Dalton's preseason game against the Jets.

Like the draft, it's all about watching potential flourish, and as a fan, that's the second best reward after winning.

In fact, I loved it so much I sat through a fricking downpour a couple of years ago and stuck through first hand what has turned out to be a turning point moment in franchise history: Andy Dalton's preseason game against the Jets.

Like the draft, it's all about watching potential flourish, and as a fan, that's the second best reward after winning.

I'm with ya (provided no injuries).  I love watching all the rookies and the other unproven guys trying to earn roster spots.  

I also think its a critical time for all those guys, which is why I don't want to see less preseason games.  No one wants the injuries, and no one wants to pay for tickets to them, but they are critical for the development of young talent on a football team.

I think they will cut them back though if they go to 18 games.  

Either way, seems like a prudent move would be to drastically increase the PS size immediately, or get more serious about creating a real farm system.

You still lose the ability to get those guys reps though. The first and fourth (for those who are still around) preseason game are probably the bulk of the live action those guys ever see. If you cut it down to 2 preseason games they would probably end up looking like the 2nd and 3rd current games which are the ones where the starters actually play a good amount. Can't see the union ever going for eliminating pre-season games and adding regular season games, more wear and tear on the veterans and less chance for the unknown guys to make the team.  

I'm with ya (provided no injuries).  I love watching all the rookies and the other unproven guys trying to earn roster spots.  

I also think its a critical time for all those guys, which is why I don't want to see less preseason games.  No one wants the injuries, and no one wants to pay for tickets to them, but they are critical for the development of young talent on a football team.

There have already been a ton of season-ending injuries while teams have been practicing against each other. I wonder if there will be more of these severe injuries during the preseason games than there is in team practices?

I kind of agree with a tweet I saw yesterday.  If you need a QB to come in and finish a game, you'd take Johnson.  If you need a QB for a 3-4 game stretch, you'd want Skelton.

Why do you agree? Why can't you wait and see how the pre-season plays out. My gut tells me that Johnson is another dud like I forget his name the QB we had from Texas A&M and we all rooted for him but he was garbage. But I'm also rooting for Johnson however I think Skeleton is the best QB on this team even better than Dalton but I want to see them in preseason and judge that way.

Why do you agree? Why can't you wait and see how the pre-season plays out. My gut tells me that Johnson is another dud like I forget his name the QB we had from Texas A&M and we all rooted for him but he was garbage. But I'm also rooting for Johnson however I think Skeleton is the best QB on this team even better than Dalton but I want to see them in preseason and judge that way.

If Skelton really is the best QB on the team, then I suggest we all find something less depressing to do this fall than watch Bengals football. If Dalton was no better or even only as good as Skelton, the Bengals would be a bad team. I personally don't think the situation is anywhere close to that dire, however. In fact, I don't think I've ever been so excited to see a Bengals team play as I am this year.

If Skelton really is the best QB on the team, then I suggest we all find something less depressing to do this fall than watch Bengals football. If Dalton was no better or even only as good as Skelton, the Bengals would be a bad team. I personally don't think the situation is anywhere close to that dire, however. In fact, I don't think I've ever been so excited to see a Bengals team play as I am this year.

I love football. I think we are all excited. I think I was trying to say that let's wait until pre-season to judge the team. 1181 is knowledgable enough to know that is all I'm saying. I agree with you on I'm loving the talent on this team. It's amazing what we used to be and now.

Reggie McNeal. I think his off-field problems got him released.

Seriously? Skelton is better than Dalton? That's why all the bad teams ahead of us on the waiver list passed on him?

how am I doing anything less than what you're doing?

I love preseason.   Don't like the price. 

1181.... What do you think now after seeing both. I know Skelton only played for a little but he looked more of a pocket passer to me. He actually brought flashbacks of Carson for me. Johnson is a scrambler type guy obviously which can get you yards here and there I just don't know if I can rely on him to start every game in case Dalton is down. I really like him though and I hope they can keep all 3 if possible.

1181.... What do you think now after seeing both. I know Skelton only played for a little but he looked more of a pocket passer to me. He actually brought flashbacks of Carson for me. Johnson is a scrambler type guy obviously which can get you yards here and there I just don't know if I can rely on him to start every game in case Dalton is down. I really like him though and I hope they can keep all 3 if possible.

I've been a fan of the skelton pickup since it happened.  Johnson did impress Thursday though.  

I think its going to be the tightest contest of the preseason, and a good problem to have.  I don't see both staying though unless skelton wins the job and they just don't want to give up Johnson's athleticism.  Johnson may be the best athlete on the team.

Archived