Skelton vs. Johnson

I've been a fan of the skelton pickup since it happened.  Johnson did impress Thursday though.  

I think its going to be the tightest contest of the preseason, and a good problem to have.  I don't see both staying though unless skelton wins the job and they just don't want to give up Johnson's athleticism.  Johnson may be the best athlete on the team.

wow! do you really stand behind that statement?

You know, I like him a lot and I think he maybe better than Dalton but I have to watch him play with the first team to be fair. But the guy can sling it big time. His downfall is he isn't mobile at all like Carson or even worse but he is like a Big Ben type guy hard to bring down. Johnson is good and all but to me guys like that are injury prone guys. He is a great athlete and all but not a guy that I could see winning games for us because you can only run so much to win games. I got a gut feeling that we will keep both guys for sure. I bet money actually that they do and use Johnson for certain package plays this year and they will keep Skelton as the main guy incase Dalton goes down. I really feel very strong about this that this is what we might do.

I'm thinking they keep both, assuming they don't dump one in a trade.

You don't dump talent (no matter what assessment) at the QB spot for free.

I think you also have to consider these guys look the part waaaaaaay more than any of our previous back ups.   Johnson's athletism is undeniable.   Skeleton funny enough does look like Carson out there and Carson is your prototypical QB going from a looks perspective.

You know, I like him a lot and I think he maybe better than Dalton but I have to watch him play with the first team to be fair. But the guy can sling it big time. His downfall is he isn't mobile at all like Carson or even worse but he is like a Big Ben type guy hard to bring down. Johnson is good and all but to me guys like that are injury prone guys. He is a great athlete and all but not a guy that I could see winning games for us because you can only run so much to win games. I got a gut feeling that we will keep both guys for sure. I bet money actually that they do and use Johnson for certain package plays this year and they will keep Skelton as the main guy incase Dalton goes down. I really feel very strong about this that this is what we might do.

seems i remember that last bet not going so well? bail out of this one too, before someone takes your hard earned steakhouse money!

I'm thinking they keep both, assuming they don't dump one in a trade.

You don't dump talent (no matter what assessment) at the QB spot for free.

I think you also have to consider these guys look the part waaaaaaay more than any of our previous back ups.   Johnson's athletism is undeniable.   Skeleton funny enough does look like Carson out there and Carson is your prototypical QB going from a looks perspective.

if they ultimately feel Skelton doesn't fit the system enough, I could see him as trade bait.  A team like Atlanta desperately needs a backup QB.

that doesn't mean much though.  Every QB at the NFL level can sling it well enough.

Being a successful NFL QB is 80% mental, 20% physical tools

Skelton over Dalton!!??    :35:  Be careful how far you go out on the limb brother!  As someone else stated, this just might

be the toughest position battle/decision during preseason.  It'll be hard to keep all 3 of them unless maybe they feel 

comfortable enough to leave Orson Charles at Fullback and let go of Pressley and Connor both, which they may do,

who knows at this point.  Fullbacks can be picked up off the waiver wire just about any time during the season.  At least

a lot easier than half way decent QB's.  

You keep the QB talent.  Don't give it away for free.

However, you don't make rash decision at QB on the basis of a small sample size.   In the unfortunate case of Andy getting hurt and either one of his backups player very well for a short period of time.   

They've entered a tough world if that happens.   However, league is filled with QBs that get hot for a period of time and end up being busted a couple years later.

It'd take alot from either QB to replace Andy.   It's not like Andy is Akili Smith or David Kingler were it was easy to remove.

We keep both. MARK MY WORD!

I don't see any way we keep both with the talent we have at other positions.  Some of out backups at other positions could possibly find bigger roles on other teams, whereas either of those two QB backups would likely be 2nd if not 3rd stringers elsewhere.  Unless there's some huge QB injury before the season starts I don't see us getting much value for either of them, nor will we keep both.

Just my opinion however...

Carson could "really sling it" too.

How many playoff games did he win?

Arm strength is nice, but there are other far more important qualities a QB can have.

I don't see any way we keep both with the talent we have at other positions.  Some of out backups at other positions could possibly find bigger roles on other teams, whereas either of those two QB backups would likely be 2nd if not 3rd stringers elsewhere.  Unless there's some huge QB injury before the season starts I don't see us getting much value for either of them, nor will we keep both.

Just my opinion however...

We can trade him to the Jets for a first and conditional second rounder.

It's the public education that's led to the degradation.

It's the lack of a mother and father at home teaching basic preschool/kindergarten skills, reading to them daily, and modeling values/work effort that will allow their children to watch, learn, copy, and have success in the classroom and life.

It's the lack of a mother and father at home teaching basic preschool/kindergarten skills, reading to them daily, and modeling values/work effort that will allow their children to watch, learn, copy, and have success in the classroom and life.

a huge part of that's because in many families it takes both parents working to provide a decent income, where that wasn't the case in the past. in some instances those parents even take on third jobs, just to make ends meet. the destruction of the good paying middle class jobs haunts our society.

ok, i'll quit....wrong forum.

Carson could "really sling it" too.

How many playoff games did he win?

Arm strength is nice, but there are other far more important qualities a QB can have.

And how many playoff games did Andy win again? Skelton totally threw all over the field on us. They should have won that game against us if it wasn't for the sprinkler on the field!

And how many playoff games did Andy win again? Skelton totally threw all over the field on us. They should have won that game against us if it wasn't for the sprinkler on the field!

He would have won except for the Houston branch of that restaurant hitting the sprinkler switch in the playoff game on that pass to Green and slowing him down.

It's unlikely the Bengals keep 3 QBs on the 53 man roster. Ideally we'd have signed a backup with more experience. Someone with a couple thousand career attempts who can read a defense. As it is, we'll keep the Johnson/Skelton winner and probably pick up a QB from the waiver list to go to our PS.

Dalton has won just as many playoff games as Palmer.  Zero.  Want to compare the two's first 2 seasons in the NFL?  We don't even

have to count Palmer's first year in the league if you don't want to.  I won't even get into draft status between Palmer and Dalton.

http://www.nfl.com/player/carsonpalmer/2505245/careerstats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

Dalton has 47 TD's and 29 Int's with 7,067 yards passing and a rating of 83.9.

Palmer had 50 TD's and 30 Int's with 6,733 yards passing and a rating of 89.2.

Again, if you want to be techical!

Palmer ACTUALLY had 18 TD's and 18 Int's with 2897 yards passing and a rating of 77.3

in his first TWO years in the league.  (He sat behind Kitna his first year even though being

drafted #1 overall).  

Should I even break out Skelton's first 2 years in the league!  Yeah, why not!

Skelton, 13 TD's 16 Int's with 2575 yards passing and a rating of 61.1.  Hell, I didn't even

need a calculator for his first 2 years lol!  

Just too add to it.  Palmer's first 2 years in the league.  Zero playoff appearances.

Skelton's first 2 years in the league.  Zero playoff appeareances.

Dalton's first 2 years in the league.  2 playoff appearances.

Which would you take?

Since we veered so far off the original topic!  (Skelton vs Johnson).  Anyone have a good 

chili recipe?  I'm wanting to make about 5 gallons of some good chili.  My dad has an old

Cincinnati Chili recipe but I think I can make one better!  

Since we veered so far off the original topic!  (Skelton vs Johnson).  Anyone have a good 

chili recipe?  I'm wanting to make about 5 gallons of some good chili.  My dad has an old

My advice, whatever you do don't put cinammon or brown sugar in the recipe and FFS don't serve it over spagetti.

Dalton has won just as many playoff games as Palmer.  Zero.  Want to compare the two's first 2 seasons in the NFL?  We don't even

have to count Palmer's first year in the league if you don't want to.  I won't even get into draft status between Palmer and Dalton.

http://www.nfl.com/player/carsonpalmer/2505245/careerstats

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

Dalton has 47 TD's and 29 Int's with 7,067 yards passing and a rating of 83.9.

Palmer had 50 TD's and 30 Int's with 6,733 yards passing and a rating of 89.2.

Again, if you want to be techical!

Palmer ACTUALLY had 18 TD's and 18 Int's with 2897 yards passing and a rating of 77.3

in his first TWO years in the league.  (He sat behind Kitna his first year even though being

drafted #1 overall).  

Should I even break out Skelton's first 2 years in the league!  Yeah, why not!

Skelton, 13 TD's 16 Int's with 2575 yards passing and a rating of 61.1.  Hell, I didn't even

need a calculator for his first 2 years lol!  

Just too add to it.  Palmer's first 2 years in the league.  Zero playoff appearances.

Skelton's first 2 years in the league.  Zero playoff appeareances.

Dalton's first 2 years in the league.  2 playoff appearances.

Which would you take?

I have the original recipe.  It's the real deal, and you can make it pretty much anywhere in the world. I usually post it every year before the season opener. I'll PM you in the meantime.

Archived