Bengals waive Robert Sands

Two days after a former West Virginia defensive back who plays for the Bengals was arrested, the Bengals waived a former West Virginia defensive back who recently has been arrested.

But its not Pacman Jones who has been dumped by the Bengals. Instead, 2011 fifth-round pick Robert Sands has been released.

Sands was arrested in January 2013, accused of assaulting his wife.

The former Mountaineer appeared in only one game as a rookie. He was on injured reserve in 2012 due to a chest injury suffered in a preseason game against the Falcons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/bengals-waive-robert-sands

given his arrest, if he had not been injured at the time he may have been cut right then and there.  the timing of this still seems odd though.

Isn't the timing explained by the tweet you posted in another thread?

Since R.Sands was released after 6/1, #Bengals create $555K cap room for 2013. $106K in "dead money" spread out evenly ($53K in 2013 & 2014)

Since R.Sands was released after 6/1, #Bengals create $555K cap room for 2013. $106K in "dead money" spread out evenly ($53K in 2013 & 2014)

You can cut guys at any time and designate them as post June 1 cut, so it is a little odd that they cut him in the middle of mini camp

not necessarily.  Why cut him now?  If you cut him in August it likely saves you the same amount of cap room.

Sands was overrated when he was drafted. If he were 6'1, no one would have cared. Too bad he didn't work out, but honestly it's what I expected.

I never liked the pick - not surprised, but I wish him well. Maybe Coyle will pick him up in Miami, since he was the DB coach when they picked him.

I thought he should have been/ or was gone a long time ago.. CYA!!!!!  And I don't think you spread out dead money. It is a one time hit, for what ever is owed to the player from his guaranteed money.  I'm not sure about it so don't quote me on that.

Was Mr. Sands involved remotely with any incidents lately ?...

Domestic Violence in January, while on IR.

I suspect he was finally healthy today and they could cut him without an injury settlement.

Only weirdos & nerds post on message boards

nerd.

not necessarily.  Why cut him now?  If you cut him in August it likely saves you the same amount of cap room.

If they had already decided to waive him after his arrest or because of his play or both reasons, it makes perfect financial sense that they would wait to June to make the move. Just feels like this could be a waiver decision that was made before the month of June rolled around. Or I guess it could just be something about him in the OTAs that bothered the coaches about him.

If he doesn't fit in your plans, you cut him now to give him a better chance to catch on somewhere else.  They've done it before.

I love me some Zimmer, but his affinity for really tall/big Safeties looks like it is going to end up a failed strategy.

We used a couple 5th rounders on Sands (obviously didn't work out) and Iloka (still early, but seems trending in the same direction as Sands). Also tried to trade up in the 2nd for Taylor Mays and when they couldn't get the deal done, had to "settle" for Carlos Dunlap and hold on to their 4th round pick (Geno Atkins). That was almost a franchise altering mistake that we were incredibly lucky to avoid...

Archived