!!!THE BENGALS @ COWBOYS PRESEASON GAME THREAD!!!

Neither the Bengals as a team or any individual players need to be ashamed about tonight's game. It was a bit sloppy, but the guys stood in there and never let things get out of hand. There was more good than bad, and we had a shitload of guys not dressed. What astounds me is people on this board gnashing their teeth about a preseason game and suggesting that the Bengals need to start signing street free agents and combing other team's waiver lists. Those people need to grow a pair. I wonder if the Patriots' fans went to pieces after getting blown out by the Lion's? No. I watched the same game as you guys, and the Bengals are a much better team than the fucking Cowboys.

Based on what? The fact that he cowboys beat us on our home field last season?

Neither the Bengals as a team or any individual players need to be ashamed about tonight's game. It was a bit sloppy, but the guys stood in there and never let things get out of hand. There was more good than bad, and we had a shitload of guys not dressed. What astounds me is people on this board gnashing their teeth about a preseason game and suggesting that the Bengals need to start signing street free agents and combing other team's waiver lists. Those people need to grow a pair. I wonder if the Patriots' fans went to pieces after getting blown out by the Lion's? No. I watched the same game as you guys, and the Bengals are a much better team than the fucking Cowboys.

This.

There isn't a reaction thread so I'll post mine here.  

Wow.  I'm floored at all of the hand-wringing on here.   

I actually leave the game feeling pretty good.  The turnovers sucked, and they do tend to come in bunches, but I'm not going to let myself think they are somehow representative of the season to come.

We pretty much owned the game through the 1st quarter, which is the part of the game I'm always going to focus on the most.  In fact, the Cowboys didn't do anything at all until we started putting in some backup D players in (their first decent run came on the heels of a vicious crack-back block on Still; they did it a couple of times and weren't flagged and it pissed me off because those are dangerous blocks).

Other than one bad throw, I thought Dalton was smooth and on the money, pretty much across the board.  He knew better than to make the throw to Sanu, and (and this is my theme for this game), good to get that kind of stuff out of your system as much as possible when the games don't count.  But other than that one play, I thought we pretty much carved them up at will with our first team offense.  If we didn't continually give them the ball, it wouldn't have even been close.

Dre Kirkpatrick had a rough night and there's really no other way to look at it.  I'm not too worried, though, as I think he's our 5th corner after Ghee right now.  It was one of those days for him, and you just hope he can put it behind him.  He needs to work on turning to locate the ball more.  I was most disappointed by his run D, however, and I always thought he was too slight and needed to put on weight, rather than cut down even more which he did this off-season.

Speaking of run D, it exposed what I think is the current glaring weakness on this team. We don't have effective SLB's at this point who can set the edge against the run.  I like Dimanche's prospects, but at this point he's most suited to rushing the passer and chasing runners. He's getting handled pretty good when teams run at him.  I saw nothing better from any of the backups.  In fact, I could see a scenario, in the event that Harrison goes down, that we move Rey to SLB just so we have a LB there who can play the run.

On that note, Moch had some nice plays, but he has no business being on the field during run situations.  He simply cannot anchor or set the edge, and a lot of big runs came when he lost contain.  Which was a theme for the 2nd team D.  They couldn't keep contain.

But that was the second team D.  The first team didn't a pretty bang up job.

I'm getting excited about Brandon Thompson and Devon Still.  They almost seem better suited to play opposite roles that I thought we brought them in for.  Thompson looks a lot like Geno Atkins out there now and then...  Pat Sims who?

Did I mention how nice it was to see AJ in there?  And Gio? He so smoooothe...

To sum, all of the people I might complain about are pretty much bubble guys at best, and everything else was pretty promising.

(one thing I forgot, our first team run Offense wasn't so hot.  The line was getting stoned.)

Best of all, we get next week - where we can rest pretty much all of our starters and don't have to put them at risk.

I just skimmed through it while "talking "to my wife ramble on the phone about what she wants to do for vacation in March.  But from what I saw,

o  It appeared Andy does have a totally different air and confidence about him and he's transferring it on to the field.  Barring the "I" word, this offense will be very good

o Looks like someone let Rey M. out of the cage and said "go get the ball".  This is the fastest I've seen him play since the Bills game 2 years ago.  Yeah he made some mistakes, but he made plays too

o  Moch, would only make it as a LB.  He's fast as hell, but as a DE, he is no where near strong enough against the run.

o  Gio...... Nuff said.

o  The will not take the drop in the beginning of the year, like they did last year.  They'll pick up where they left off.

Why waste a challenge when green was clearly out of bounds? Wasn't even that close.

I dislike agreeing with you but they showed the replay a hundred times, even though his toes came down in bounds, the heel is part of the foot too and that came down out of bounds. 

didn't pay much attention to him, but the crappy play of Mays probably helped Williams the most.

Williams was pretty abysmal in his angles tonight.  I'm still encouraged that he's all around the ball but there will be a lot to work on before the opener.

I'm not convinced we are better than the Cowboys but the rest of this post is pretty good sense.

There isn't a reaction thread so I'll post mine here.  

Wow.  I'm floored at all of the hand-wringing on here.   

I actually leave the game feeling pretty good.  The turnovers sucked, and they do tend to come in bunches, but I'm not going to let myself think they are somehow representative of the season to come.

We pretty much owned the game through the 1st quarter, which is the part of the game I'm always going to focus on the most.  In fact, the Cowboys didn't do anything at all until we started putting in some backup D players in (their first decent run came on the heels of a vicious crack-back block on Still; they did it a couple of times and weren't flagged and it pissed me off because those are dangerous blocks).

Other than one bad throw, I thought Dalton was smooth and on the money, pretty much across the board.  He knew better than to make the throw to Sanu, and (and this is my theme for this game), good to get that kind of stuff out of your system as much as possible when the games don't count.  But other than that one play, I thought we pretty much carved them up at will with our first team offense.  If we didn't continually give them the ball, it wouldn't have even been close.

Dre Kirkpatrick had a rough night and there's really no other way to look at it.  I'm not too worried, though, as I think he's our 5th corner after Ghee right now.  It was one of those days for him, and you just hope he can put it behind him.  He needs to work on turning to locate the ball more.  I was most disappointed by his run D, however, and I always thought he was too slight and needed to put on weight, rather than cut down even more which he did this off-season.

Speaking of run D, it exposed what I think is the current glaring weakness on this team. We don't have effective SLB's at this point who can set the edge against the run.  I like Dimanche's prospects, but at this point he's most suited to rushing the passer and chasing runners. He's getting handled pretty good when teams run at him.  I saw nothing better from any of the backups.  In fact, I could see a scenario, in the event that Harrison goes down, that we move Rey to SLB just so we have a LB there who can play the run.

On that note, Moch had some nice plays, but he has no business being on the field during run situations.  He simply cannot anchor or set the edge, and a lot of big runs came when he lost contain.  Which was a theme for the 2nd team D.  They couldn't keep contain.

But that was the second team D.  The first team didn't a pretty bang up job.

I'm getting excited about Brandon Thompson and Devon Still.  They almost seem better suited to play opposite roles that I thought we brought them in for.  Thompson looks a lot like Geno Atkins out there now and then...  Pat Sims who?

Did I mention how nice it was to see AJ in there?  And Gio? He so smoooothe...

To sum, all of the people I might complain about are pretty much bubble guys at best, and everything else was pretty promising.

(one thing I forgot, our first team run Offense wasn't so hot.  The line was getting stoned.)

Best of all, we get next week - where we can rest pretty much all of our starters and don't have to put them at risk.

good summary.  It was clear to me that after the first drive defense's priority #1 was getting the young guys snaps against a quality opponent while "doing everything to stop the cowboys" was a lesser priority.  We started the game with a blitz which shut down their first drive.  After that point I'm not sure we blitzed again?  I recall Nelson crowding the line on the second (maybe third) drive and showing blitz but after Romo checked he didn't come and MJ93 still dropped into coverage.  It was pretty aggravating to watch the Cowboys go up and down the field but doesn't seem worth getting upset over.  

Agree with most of your thoughts, but I'm not sold on Cobi yet. Some good, some bad.

I thought Moch did some really good things, but he also didn't set the edge well several times, and they got outside.

The backup LBs other than Lamur didn't do shit tonight, and I thought the backup DBs stunk, too. At DL, Thompson looked pretty good, and Still and Hunt were decent.

I love Rex's game, and I thought Roland played pretty well and should make the team.

The thing about Cobi is I believe he does have a lot of potential.

I have always like Whalen, but he has never gotten a chance for a reason and that's why I believe you take the more talented guys in Cobi and Dane

I dislike agreeing with you but they showed the replay a hundred times, even though his toes came down in bounds, the heel is part of the foot too and that came down out of bounds. 

Williams was pretty abysmal in his angles tonight.  I'm still encouraged that he's all around the ball but there will be a lot to work on before the opener.

I'm not convinced we are better than the Cowboys but the rest of this post is pretty good sense.

good summary.  It was clear to me that after the first drive defense's priority #1 was getting the young guys snaps against a quality opponent while "doing everything to stop the cowboys" was a lesser priority.  We started the game with a blitz which shut down their first drive.  After that point I'm not sure we blitzed again?  I recall Nelson crowding the line on the second (maybe third) drive and showing blitz but after Romo checked he didn't come and MJ93 still dropped into coverage.  It was pretty aggravating to watch the Cowboys go up and down the field but doesn't seem worth getting upset over.  

I thought this was a good summary of lastnight for the most part.

Unmoved by what I saw tonight from the Bengals. They seem bored with the preseason, like a team awaiting far bigger battles.

OFFENSE

QUARTERBACK SNAPS PCT

Andy Dalton 28 57%

Josh Johnson 21 43%

John Skelton 0 0%      

RUNNING BACK SNAPS PCT

Giovani Bernard 15 31%

BenJarvus Green Ellis 13 27%

Rex Burkhead 11 22%

Daniel Herron 6 12%

Cedric Peerman 4 8%      

FULL BACK SNAPS PCT

John Conner 5 10%

Orson Charles 2 4%      

WIDE RECEIVER SNAPS PCT

A.J. Green 27 55%

Mohamed Sanu 27 55%

Dane Sanzenbacher 20 41%

Cobi Hamilton 19 39%

Mavin Jones 17 35%

Ryan Whalen 12 24%

Brandon Tate 4 8%

Roy Roundtree 2 4%

Taveon Rogers 2 4%      

TIGHT END SNAPS PCT

Jermaine Gresham 28 57%

Alex Smith 23 47%

Richard Quinn 6 12%

Bryce Davis 2 4%

Tyler Eifert DNP        

OFFENSIVE LINE SNAPS PCT

Kevin Zeitler 28 57%

Clint Boling 28 57%

Kyle Cook 28 57%

Anthony Collins 28 57%

Jason Weaver 21 43%

Jon Sullen 21 43%

Reid Fragel 20 41%

Mike Pollak 19 39%

Trevor Robinson 17 35%

Andre Smith 16 33%

Dennis Roland 13 27%

T.J. Johnson 6 12%

Tanner Hawkinson DNP  

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE SNAPS PCT

Margus Hunt 54 67%

Devon Still 49 60%

Michael Johnson 39 48%

Brandon Thompson 36 44%

Dontay Moch 34 42%

Wallace Gilberry 31 38%

Geno Atkins 29 36%

Domata Peko 24 30%

DeQuin Evans 18 22%

Terrence Stephens 8 10%

Vaughn Meatoga 4 5%

Robert Geathers DNP        

LINEBACKER SNAPS PCT

Vontaze Burfict 41 51%

Emmanuel Lamur 41 51%

J.K. Schaffer 40 49%

Vinnie Rey 40 49%

Jayson DiManche 31 38%

Rey Maualuga 19 23%

Bruce Taylor 0 0%

Jason Campbell 0 0%

James Harrison DNP  

Sean Porter DNP        

CORNERBACK SNAPS PCT

Dre Kirkpatrick 61 75%

Terence Newman 40 49%

Leon Hall 39 48%

Chris Lewis-Harris 35 43%

Shaun Prater 15 19%

Onterio McCalebb 0 0%

Adam Jones DNP  

Brandon Ghee DNP        

SAFETY SNAPS PCT

Taylor Mays 56 69%

Shawn Williams 42 52%

Reggie Nelson 40 49%

Jeromy Miles 25 31%

Tony Dye 0 0%

George Iloka DNP

http://www.cincyjungle.com/preseason-bengals-cowboys/2013/8/25/4656406/bengals-at-cowboys-offensive-and-defensive-snap-counts

I try not to get too worked up about preseason games.  Players are out, coaches try different combos, and they have to play guys to see who stays and who goes.

My biggest complaint about the defense is the poor tacking mechanics too many players have.  I still see too many players just trying to hit or bump a guy down instead of

wrapping.  Too many times I see the other team pick up a couple more yards when that happens.  A lot of times it is one of those little things that matter when you are playing

the tough competition.  That has been a problem the last few years and I still see it today.  I wish someone would fix that.

My only other issue is this...i think Romo completed 13 passes, 10 of those to 2 receivers.  How many receivers have the Bengals tried out last year and this?  After Green and Sanu

I don't think any one has absolutely popped to the top.  What's the deal?

I try not to get too worked up about preseason games.  Players are out, coaches try different combos, and they have to play guys to see who stays and who goes.

My biggest complaint about the defense is the poor tacking mechanics too many players have.  I still see too many players just trying to hit or bump a guy down instead of

wrapping.  Too many times I see the other team pick up a couple more yards when that happens.  A lot of times it is one of those little things that matter when you are playing

the tough competition.  That has been a problem the last few years and I stiil see it today.  I wish someone would fix that.

My only other issue is this...i think Romo completed 13 passes, 10 of those to 2 receivers.  How many receivers have the Bengals tried out last year and this?  After Green and Sanu

I don't think any one has absolutely popped to the top.  What's the deal?

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Dallas has one of the top WR tandems in the league.  Also Hawkins, the 2nd leading WR on the team last year, is out.  

This offense looks like it will primarily run through Green/Gresham/Sanu/Eifert.  Everyone else has a smaller role in the passing game.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping for the loss last night.  If there's one thing a young team can be caught with it's getting a little over-confident, and believing their own hype too much.  Nothing like a loss that doesn't mean anything to give the coaches a chance to remind their guys just how slim the margin is between success and failure.

You know, it's all about the little things...

The other silver lining was the coaches got valuable snaps for a lot of their 2nd team players, or guys who will regularly be rotating in with the 1s to give them breathers, or when a guy gets dinged.  If you think about it, they haven't played against first teamers much yet.  What a better time to get them around that learning curve?  Yeah, some guys got exposed a little, but other than Dre, I didn't see guys screwing up who are going to get significant snaps.

And the Marvin Jones haters?  Child please.  AJ Green fumbles too.  It happens. Get over it. Move on.

Watching the replay which has the Dallas announcers. They mentioned that the officials were changing at halftime.

Kind of interesting - watching the local Dallas broadcast in 2H, they were talking about Zimmer... they show the Bengals' sideline, Greg Ellis (ex-Cowboy, played almost 10 years) standing nearby - in a Bengals' polo shirt, and they didn't say anything. 

I also didn't read anything from Hobs or Reedy that indicated he was helping the team on the pass rush (which was pretty lame last night). 

Kind of interesting - watching the local Dallas broadcast in 2H, they were talking about Zimmer... they show the Bengals' sideline, Greg Ellis (ex-Cowboy, played almost 10 years) standing nearby - in a Bengals' polo shirt, and they didn't say anything. 

I also didn't read anything from Hobs or Reedy that indicated he was helping the team on the pass rush (which was pretty lame last night). 

I read it the other way - that we were helping him.  Perhaps coaching intern kind of thing...

There was a tweet yesterday about Ellis being at bengals practice helping with pass rush, though it wasn't fully clear whether he was giving the dlinemen tips or the offensive tackles tips, or both.

To be honest, I was kind of hoping for the loss last night.  If there's one thing a young team can be caught with it's getting a little over-confident, and believing their own hype too much.  Nothing like a loss that doesn't mean anything to give the coaches a chance to remind their guys just how slim the margin is between success and failure.

You know, it's all about the little things...

This is exactly what my thoughts were too.  Theres nothing worse than going 4-0 in the preseason then getting popped in your mouth by a bad team in the first quarter of the season because you were riding a little high on your own coat-tails

Mark Lane ‏@therealmarklane5h
Check it out. Former Cowboys DE/OLB Greg Ellis (1998-08) is on the Bengals side line: pic.twitter.com/J1qcIQMjkC

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez19h
Rode up elevator with Greg Ellis. Business or pleasure? 'Always pleasure watching the Cowboys, but kinda assistant coaching with Bengals.'

The Bengals brought several familiar faces with them to Dallas. Cincinnati defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer held the same position with the Cowboys from 2000-06, and former Cowboys defensive end Greg Ellis is a volunteer coach with the team. Former Cowboys defensive backs Terance Newman and Adam Jones also play for the Bengals.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-DavidHelman/Notes-Special-Teams-Woes-Ratliff’s-Health-In-Doubt-More/c0b599b8-864f-4cf3-8eb4-0886040e4965

lol so the tweet mention I was referring to, was from you in pre-game.  

Saw this on Twitter, from one of the Dallas area media guys... Pretty cool.

Ran into Greg Ellis before tonight's game. Spent time last week with Cincinnati working pass rush. Has a close relationship with Mike Zimmer (https://twitter.com/...396235363491840)

Archived