What about Dre?

Pittsburgh and Baltimore were notorious for sitting 1st and 2nd round picks their entire first year and slowly working them along. Lawrence Timmons played only special teams his rookie year. He got two starts in his second year. Only in his third year did he become a full-time starter and turned into one of the best ILBs in the league.

yea Jarvis Jones this year is the first rookie to start for the steelers defense since Casey Hampton.  The steelers defense went TWELVE YEARS without a rookie being a non-injury starter. 

These two posts nail, in a microcosm, what is happening in this board: 

A bunch of Bengals fans just don't know what success looks like.  So even when we are one of the top teams in the conference, on top of our division by two games (despite limping into our LAAAAATE bye week), they'd rather complain about how our first round CB isn't getting enough snaps or how our second round QB isn't playing like a hall-of-famer (yet).

It's OK.  Give it time.

IT GETS BETTER.

(but I'm guessing many of you have been hearing that refrain a lot lately...)

I thought Dre played well today.  That TD he gave up is nothing different than we have seen Hall give up multiple times.  Hall being right there and not making the play.  Hell, I can't think of one DB who hasn't been burned by either bad play or a great play by the other team.   Still too early to make any judgement.  But the concern about him being a "china doll" is my biggest concern at the moment.   

So, who looked better in the slot, Ghee or Dre?  Once Ghee came in, I couldn't tell who was doing what because of all the interruptions about the weather, they put the game in a small little box.

they both played well. Looks like Dre got the nod until he got hurt.  Kinda surprised as Ghee was the more experienced guy in the slot.  I thought he'd get first crack.

I think a good way to judge it would be this:  It was nickel DB/LB coverage that let them down the first Cleveland game.  It didn't today.

Thank you. Reason hasn't departed this place after all.

If the Bengals had a ring of honor for discarded unwanted old vets who come here and play at near a pro bowl level, Newman would be on it. He and Taze are my favorite players.

These two posts nail, in a microcosm, what is happening in this board: 

A bunch of Bengals fans just don't know what success looks like.  So even when we are one of the top teams in the conference, on top of our division by two games (despite limping into our LAAAAATE bye week), they'd rather complain about how our first round CB isn't getting enough snaps or how our second round QB isn't playing like a hall-of-famer (yet).

It's OK.  Give it time.

IT GETS BETTER.

(but I'm guessing many of you have been hearing that refrain a lot lately...)

this post speaks the truth

My issue is I have seen this movie before. 2009 was the year. Great defense and dysfunctional offense. If the offense were even average every game with the same record I would feel great about our record. This Jeckel and Hyde shit sucks.

My issue is I have seen this movie before. 2009 was the year. Great defense and dysfunctional offense. If the offense were even average every game with the same record I would feel great about our record. This Jeckel and Hyde shit sucks.

This offense, with all its warts, is a lot better than the 2009 version.

Benson was a beast that year.

they both played well. Looks like Dre got the nod until he got hurt.  Kinda surprised as Ghee was the more experienced guy in the slot.  I thought he'd get first crack.

I think a good way to judge it would be this:  It was nickel DB/LB coverage that let them down the first Cleveland game.  It didn't today.

Dre Kirkpatrick is tall and faster than he is quick. He's not cut out to play in the slot.

Anyone calling him a "bust" is way ahead of themselves. There's no gaping hole at corner that's not being filled. If this wasn't a strong secondary and Kirkpatrick wasn't contributing, that would be a different conversation. Marvin and his staff are loyal to veterans that are playing well (and even some that are not, ie BenJarvis Green-Ellis & Rey Maualuga). They're not going to sit Newman and Adam Jones just to accommodate Dre Kirkpatrick. As long as those two guys (and Leon Hall) continue to play at a high level, Kirkpatrick is going to do more watching than playing.

Dre Kirkpatrick is tall and faster than he is quick. He's not cut out to play in the slot.

Anyone calling him a "bust" is way ahead of themselves. There's no gaping hole at corner that's not being filled. If this wasn't a strong secondary and Kirkpatrick wasn't contributing, that would be a different conversation. Marvin and his staff are loyal to veterans that are playing well (and even some that are not, ie BenJarvis Green-Ellis & Rey Maualuga). They're not going to sit Newman and Adam Jones just to accommodate Dre Kirkpatrick. As long as those two guys (and Leon Hall) continue to play at a high level, Kirkpatrick is going to do more watching than playing.

I would agree on Dre, but to his credit, he's not moping. Other than the TD which was a great play, he did some good things in coverage yesterday, and he continues to be a good ST player.

Campbell pumps right as Gordon (left) runs wheel route from slot. Bengals in Cover-1 Man, but pump draws Iloka away. pic.twitter.com/cjiwQk4JoN

BZXY8MWCEAAq2sv.jpg

Kirkpatrick good coverage until he dropped his arms as if he thought he'd be flagged. Gordon extends, catches & runs. pic.twitter.com/b0W4kV2Oqs

BZXZUybCAAAsYON.jpg

Plus we gave him an extra lineman or two to block for him quite often.

Yep. Roland was in for Smith I think. The extra lineman was...... I'm thinking Roland but that doesn't make him the RT and I thought he started for an injured or fat Smith. Was it Collins? Had to be.

Plus we gave him an extra lineman or two to block for him quite often.

The base offense in 09 was the overloaded line set. This allowed them to go 6-0 in the division and #9 had some clutch drives. whitworth was praising #9 leadership that year. I do not recall who was the starter at RT but both Collins and Roland player allot.

After rewatching the Gordon TD, I have to revise what I said about him being burned. It was good coverage, but Dre just HAS to make that tackle there to prevent the TD. The play I really liked from him was the sack. His little ass came on the blitz into the left side of the offensive line of the Browns, got caught up in the wash and knocked down, got up and pursued Campbell from behind with his speed and nailed him. In other words, he never gave up on the play. 

A side note: I remember commenting to my GF during the game...she had asked why Tate was always returning punts instead of Jones and I reminded her that with the injury to Hall, Pacman had become too valuable to risk as a PR now that he's the starter at CB. Shows what little I know. Late in the game, out trots Jones to return a punt, and he rips off a good one to help seal the win. Good times.

After rewatching the Gordon TD, I have to revise what I said about him being burned. It was good coverage, but Dre just HAS to make that tackle there to prevent the TD. The play I really liked from him was the sack. His little ass came on the blitz into the left side of the offensive line of the Browns, got caught up in the wash and knocked down, got up and pursued Campbell from behind with his speed and nailed him. In other words, he never gave up on the play. 

A side note: I remember commenting to my GF during the game...she had asked why Tate was always returning punts instead of Jones and I reminded her that with the injury to Hall, Pacman had become too valuable to risk as a PR now that he's the starter at CB. Shows what little I know. Late in the game, out trots Jones to return a punt, and he rips off a good one to help seal the win. Good times.

all that was going through my head on that play was "don't get hurt, don't get hurt, don't get hurt!"

all that was going through my head on that play was "don't get hurt, don't get hurt, don't get hurt!"

I know! In my head I was thinking about what a calculated risk that was putting him out there, hoping he'd make a play and not get hurt. Jones has some injury history too and him getting nailed right after he caught the punt and being injured for any length of time would have immediately brought down the wrath on Lewis and Simmons for taking the risk in putting him out there. 

[quote name="Bunghole" post="1302305" timestamp="1384824594"]After rewatching the Gordon TD, I have to revise what I said about him being burned. It was good coverage, but Dre just HAS to make that tackle there to prevent the TD. The play I really liked from him was the sack. His little ass came on the blitz into the left side of the offensive line of the Browns, got caught up in the wash and knocked down, got up and pursued Campbell from behind with his speed and nailed him. In other words, he never gave up on the play. 

A side note: I remember commenting to my GF during the game...she had asked why Tate was always returning punts instead of Jones and I reminded her that with the injury to Hall, Pacman had become too valuable to risk as a PR now that he's the starter at CB. Shows what little I know. Late in the game, out trots Jones to return a punt, and he rips off a good one to help seal the win. Good

If Dre proves himself, Jones can be used more as a return man. PAC man still won't return them all. Even before Hall went down he was being used situationally.

I don't think the fear of him getting hurt, keeps him from back there, I think its the desire to always return the punt.  He seems to never fair catch one. 

I don't think the fear of him getting hurt, keeps him from back there, I think its the desire to always return the punt.  He seems to never fair catch one. 

I don't think Pacman has EVER fair caught a punt.  I think they mentioned that a few games ago.

Campbell pumps right as Gordon (left) runs wheel route from slot. Bengals in Cover-1 Man, but pump draws Iloka away. pic.twitter.com/cjiwQk4JoN

BZXY8MWCEAAq2sv.jpg

Kirkpatrick good coverage until he dropped his arms as if he thought he'd be flagged. Gordon extends, catches & runs. pic.twitter.com/b0W4kV2Oqs

BZXZUybCAAAsYON.jpg

Marvin said his mistake was letting Gordon get past him. He has to keep wr inside him

Archived