Middle of the Field

Im happy with the win today, but im a little nervous about the offense, mostly due to Jays play calling.

They flat out REFUSE to use the middle of the field.

Can someone name one pass, outside of a screen, that was thrown between the numbers???

I just dont get it. Someone please help me understand why gruden refuses to call plays over the middle.

Im happy with the win today, but im a little nervous about the offense, mostly due to Jays play calling.

They flat out REFUSE to use the middle of the field.

Can someone name one pass, outside of a screen, that was thrown between the numbers???

I just dont get it. Someone please help me understand why gruden refuses to call plays over the middle.

In the arena league there is padding on the outside for the players. It's safer out there and jay keeps forgetting where he's at.

Quality contribution to the discussion right here

Part of me does wonder if the arena league thing has an effect. Are the fields wider or something? Maybe its easier to get passes with wider fields, but I dont think it is daltons strength and we keep calling passes outside the numbers over and over and over again.

Seriously correct me if im wrong, but not 1, not 1 single pass between the numbers.

Thats 2/3rds of the field and we just refuse to throw the ball there. Its gotta be so easy to defend.

Part of me does wonder if the arena league thing has an effect. Are the fields wider or something? Maybe its easier to get passes with wider fields, but I dont think it is daltons strength and we keep calling passes outside the numbers over and over and over again.

Seriously correct me if im wrong, but not 1, not 1 single pass between the numbers.

Thats 2/3rds of the field and we just refuse to throw the ball there. Its gotta be so easy to defend.

I listened on the radio today so I'm not sure what the deal is. It sure seems like the entire passing game is out of whack. 

i've had the same concern for a while now. i don't get it, because you can see the openings are there for big gainers. that's the perfect place to create mismatches with a 6'5" and a 6'6" TE, too. lob  the easy one up there where only they can go get it. it just seems too easy.

and like you said, if they're not using that 2/3 middle of the field, we become easier to defend against. as i said in the game day thread, every time we've worked that area of the field it's turned into a big play, or so it seems. we just haven't gone to the well enough.

Quality contribution to the discussion right here

Within the sarcasm there is a little truth. Although a way better play caller than brat I never understood why everyone was pimping him as the next head coach possibility. I will say that he does seem to adjust at half time where brat NEVER did.

there does seem to be less routes being run to the middle.  There was one third down today I think a 3rd and 4, where Gresham was singled up at the bottom.  Should have been an easy slant route for a first down, but he went farther downfield.  Dalton completed it to Green, but he was a yard short of the marker (which is another consistent issue, WR's not being mindful of where the first down marker is).  

In the Pittsburgh game, Dalton threw a pass to Tyler Eifert for a 61 yard gain.

The 3 WRs ran sluggo routes and he hit Eifert underneath.

I have not seen that play ran again :17:

This is what I envisioned after we drafted Eifert. Streaks from 85 and 84. Since then... what, maybe 3 times? Stupid. We do not efficiently use our offensive weapons. I blame our O coord and Dalton.

Honestly, I think it has to do with tipped balls.  Your right though, they rarely go over the middle and if they do, its down the field to Jermaine.

If you are so worried about tipped passes that you refuse to call passes over the middle of the field, then you have to find a new QB. You cant have a successful offense only throwing outside the numbers.

And say what you want about tipped passes, but in October we ran a ton of routes over the middle of the field and it opened the whole offense up. Just because you had some balls tipped doesnt mean you can just stop using hte middle of the field.

If we dont change that we will get beat up. Our offense cant be successful only using a third of the field.

This is hands down my biggest beef with Gruden.

We drafted Eifert and Gresham because they're supposed to be matchup nightmares in the middle of the field, but we have very seldomly seen this in action.

I'm starting to think that Gruden's play design and play calling is what's really holding this team back.

Bingo

This is hands down my biggest beef with Gruden.

We drafted Eifert and Gresham because they're supposed to be matchup nightmares in the middle of the field, but we have very seldomly seen this in action.

I'm starting to think that Gruden's play design and play calling is what's really holding this team back.

I must agree.

Do you (collective) hope Gruden gets offered a HC position elsewhere?

i dont hate gruden. I just dont get him. Sometimes he has really well called games. IE most of October. Plays designed to get the ball to guys in space. Plays that allow for YAC. Etc. Then other games like today he'll only call passes to the sideline and hitches and deep outs and stuff and completely abandon the things he has done well.

I mean I guess there is a chance that he isnt calling those, that Dalton gets to the line and thinks thats his best option and throws it wide, but I think it is more on the play calling.

Hopefully he'll snap out of this funk and figure this shit out heading into the end of the year.

Do you (collective) hope Gruden gets offered a HC position elsewhere?

no.  1)  I don't think he's ready  2)  I like Gruden.  I just don't think Gruden has mastered his own system yet, which leads to odd playcalls at certain times and an overabundance of passing.

Toss in inconsistent play by every level of the offense, and you have the current Bengals offense.  

I'd be curious to see it league wide, but just look at the AFC North:

Norv turner has been a HC or OC in the NFL for 22 straight years.

Todd Haley has been a HC or OC in the NFL for 7 straight years

Jim Caldwell has been a HC for 3 years, and an OC for roughly a year in the NFL.  

Jay Gruden has been an OC for 2 1/2 years in the NFL. 

Gruden has a case of over analysis paralysis.

I made a thread about this a few weeks back.

No LBs in the league should be able to contain both Gresham and Eifert every game.

If they are, then Gio should be WIDE OPEN on the underneath stuff, or getting big yards delayed draw plays.

Not necessarily regarding the middle of the field but play calling in general...

Watching the broncos game, they run so many rub routes where they are borderline pick plays. Cross two guys right across each other and one is almost always open. Id like to see us mix some of that into our offense...

Not necessarily regarding the middle of the field but play calling in general...

Watching the broncos game, they run so many rub routes where they are borderline pick plays. Cross two guys right across each other and one is almost always open. Id like to see us mix some of that into our offense...

I'm shocked the league continues to allow that.  Green Bay does it as well.  Zimmer said something before that game about it not supposed to be legal but they get away with it.

I think it should be illegal, but yea in the meantime start doing it.  It's basically free yards.  

I'm shocked the league continues to allow that.  Green Bay does it as well.  

I think it should be illegal, but yea in the meantime start doing it.  It's basically free yards.  

Denver has done it almost every third down tonight it seems like. Sometimes the other WR doesnt even make contact with the CB, so its not technically a pick, but just is in the general area so it makes the CB run around him thus leaving the other WR wide open.

You'd think guys like Hawk and Marvin jones would thrive off that.

Archived