Thomas Howard dies in car crash

My background gives me little sympathy for those like that.  Ever see the families of those who had a loved one killed by someone driving reckless, drunk, or otherwise stupid ?  When you see them you will know.  I do not like seeing stupidity rewarded with glorious words reeking of sympathy.  My family has lost one to someone like that.  I also worked law enforcement.

Yes, I have feelings for Howards family but I have ZERO sympathy for him.  A needless death happened because someone decided to drive recklessly.  The real question is; Why should I say something nice ?

Sympathy is for the living, not the dead.

I often wonder about these stories where you hear of a guy that clearly has money (or recently did anyway, driving a 750il Beemer) dying in a crash like this. I have a musclecar that's capable of speeds well in excess of 100mph, and there's been a couple times I've taken it there right after I bought it just to see what it could do. It's scary as shit to go 135mph. But when I did it, it was the middle of the day, hadn't been drinking,  I picked a long, long, straightaway on an interstate with barely any traffic on it, etc. In other words, it wasn't entirely spontaneous. I felt that even though I was going to briefly drive like a madman at those speeds, I had minimized the risk to myself, my car and others around me by plotting my course.

Even so, things get really terrifying above 130. As I hit about 140 in fourth gear and I realized the car had more to give me in fifth, I just couldn't do it. My nerves were fried. I was terrified of a tire blowing out at that speed and killing me. I reminded myself that I had children. You get the deal.

I wonder if depression, alcohol, a combination of factors compelled him to do what he did at one in the morning. That's just a CRAZY time of the night to drive like a madman. Especially on a busy highway. I wonder if he killed himself on purpose. I wonder a lot of things when I see stuff like this. Perhaps he was depressed about being cut, or maybe he had CTE like Chris Henry?

I suppose partial elements of the truth will come out after toxicology tests, etc but the outcome is really sad for everyone involved.

RIP to those that died...apparently for no reason at all, which is the worst kind of death.

I often wonder about these stories where you hear of a guy that clearly has money (or recently did anyway, driving a 750il Beemer) dying in a crash like this. I have a musclecar that's capable of speeds well in excess of 100mph, and there's been a couple times I've taken it there right after I bought it just to see what it could do. It's scary as shit to go 135mph. But when I did it, it was the middle of the day, hadn't been drinking,  I picked a long, long, straightaway on an interstate with barely any traffic on it, etc. In other words, it wasn't entirely spontaneous. I felt that even though I was going to briefly drive like a madman at those speeds, I had minimized the risk to myself, my car and others around me by plotting my course.

Even so, things get really terrifying above 130. As I hit about 140 in fourth gear and I realized the car had more to give me in fifth, I just couldn't do it. My nerves were fried. I was terrified of a tire blowing out at that speed and killing me. I reminded myself that I had children. You get the deal.

I wonder if depression, alcohol, a combination of factors compelled him to do what he did at one in the morning. That's just a CRAZY time of the night to drive like a madman. Especially on a busy highway. I wonder if he killed himself on purpose. I wonder a lot of things when I see stuff like this. Perhaps he was depressed about being cut, or maybe he had CTE like Chris Henry?

I suppose partial elements of the truth will come out after toxicology tests, etc but the outcome is really sad for everyone involved.

RIP to those that died...apparently for no reason at all, which is the worst kind of death.

Just reading this made me uneasy. I went to 120 in my '03 Mustang GT. I'm pretty cool @ 90... above that I start freaking out. When I hit 120 I immediately regretted it and never have done it again. I was like you... minimized the risk but still dumb.

I rarely even speed anymore. I usually set cruise on 72 and roll (I guess I'm speeding but not excessively). Not worth it.

Did Henry have CTE?

I didn't know that.

I just wanna know why he went 100mph

Id be interested to know if he was driving 100 plus for a long stretch, or if he was just going 100 for a min or something. Not that it really matters. I've driven a car over 100, like 105 tops but just to hit the number, then pretty much slow down right away. I have never sustained over 100 for more than like 10 seconds.

If he was just crusin down the highway going 100 plus then i think its dumb. If he was just hitting it for a second and at that point happened to lose control its hard for me to judge him too much as Ive gone over 100 before.

Suicide by Automobile is not unknown.  I'd like to think that usually those cases are single car accidents, though.

My background gives me little sympathy for those like that.  Ever see the families of those who had a loved one killed by someone driving reckless, drunk, or otherwise stupid ?  When you see them you will know.  I do not like seeing stupidity rewarded with glorious words reeking of sympathy.  My family has lost one to someone like that.  I also worked law enforcement.

Yes, I have feelings for Howards family but I have ZERO sympathy for him.  A needless death happened because someone decided to drive recklessly.  The real question is; Why should I say something nice ?

Why should you say something nice? Because it makes you look like less of an ass? But for the grace of god, it could have been you or a member of your family.

Ken...can't you see how driving your BMW at over 100 mph at one in the morning and then crashing it into the opposite side of the highway after launching over the concrete barrier and killing an innocent schlub just on his way home might me construed as...kind of a dick move by Howard? I mean, I'm a suicide advocate. If you want to kill yourself, please do....just don't take anyone else with you. I'm not saying Howard meant to kill himself, although it remains a possibility, and I wasn't the one that was damning him for what he did, but...he DID do what he did and took a completely innocent person down with him.

Why should you say something nice? Because it makes you look like less of an ass? But for the grace of god, it could have been you or a member of your family.

Just out of curiosity, would you be saying something nice about Howard if it had been a family member of yours that was innocently killed because of a driver making a dumb mistake?

Im kinda in the middle here because I have driven the same speed as Howard so hard to say how reckless he was being if ive done something similar (although never for a sustained period and never to the point where i felt i was in danger of losing control). But i also understand how some people would think that it is stupid and pathetic and selfish for someone to put other lives in danger because they wanted to drive like an idiot. I can see it both ways...

Just out of curiosity, would you be saying something nice about Howard if it had been a family member of yours that was innocently killed because of a driver making a dumb mistake?

Im kinda in the middle here because I have driven the same speed as Howard so hard to say how reckless he was being if ive done something similar (although never for a sustained period and never to the point where i felt i was in danger of losing control). But i also understand how some people would think that it is stupid and pathetic and selfish for someone to put other lives in danger because they wanted to drive like an idiot. I can see it both ways...

I'd say you can think that, but making a mistake doesn't always deserve a death penalty.  It is sad that his life is over, even if the end was because of his bad judgement.  And as always, the purpose of sympathy is to console the living.  Thomas Howard is past all that now.

I'd say you can think that, but making a mistake doesn't always deserve a death penalty.  It is sad that his life is over, even if the end was because of his bad judgement.  And as always, the purpose of sympathy is to console the living.  Thomas Howard is past all that now.

That was kinda my point, but im just saying i can see it both ways.

I've lost friends to stupity before, have you? I understand the desire to blame someone, and even the desire to punish them for their stupidity, but it rarely does anything but make you a worse person. Life is a gift and it's not promised for any period of time, so you have to accept the fact that shit happens. And to be totally frank, we have no idea what really happened. What if he had a heart attack? What if the gas pedal got stuck? What if he was just accelerating to pass someone doing 80 and a front end link broke? I find it hard to pass judgment on others, because as I said earlier, but for the grace of god, it could have been me.

Archived