Sounds like Beckham will be a top 20 pick. Shazier rumored to be rising too. Fuller. Cooks is possible. Marquise Lee? Also Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater and Carr. I think 3 will be gone by our pick, possibly all 4.

I'm thinking our pick will be down to this by 24:

Verrett

Kouandjio

Ward

Moses

Moseley

There's also rumors that the steelers like Hagemann at 16.

I'm thinking our pick will be down to this by 24:

Verrett
Kouandjio
Ward
Moses
Moseley

There's also rumors that the steelers like Hagemann at 16.

I think taking Cyrus K in 1 and the best CB in 2 makes a lot of sense

I think taking Cyrus K in 1 and the best CB in 2 makes a lot of sense

me too.  You can still get a McGill, Jean-Baptiste, or maybe even a Phillip Gaines at 55.  All of the best offensive tackles will be gone by 55.  Hell, they may be gone by 40.  

Munoz thinking secondary in Bengals' draft

By Coley Harvey | May 7, 2014 1:45:09 PM PDT
CINCINNATI -- You might have seen this week when we caught up with Cincinnati Bengals Hall of Fame offensive tackle Anthony Munoz at the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Fan Fest in Cleveland.

Though quarterback Andy Dalton's play was among the Bengals-related concerns Munoz touched on, he also spoke for a moment about the direction he felt the franchise was going, and what he anticipated seeing it do when the NFL draft arrives Thursday night.

When it comes to building up the Bengals' roster this weekend, expect them to do so by focusing on defense, not offense, Munoz said.

AP Photo/Jay LaPrete
Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier could be a good fit for the Bengals in the first round.
"I don't know names, but I think we need a linebacker," Munoz said. "We can go out and get a pretty good linebacker, maybe a defensive back. I don't think you can ever have too many cornerbacks and defensive backs."

So there you have it.

Munoz, a former Bengal who attends every home game and called preseason games for a local television station last year, is not looking for the Bengals to draft Teddy Bridgewater or any other quarterbacks or offensive players in the first round.

"The linebacker position is a good position to go with our D-line," Munoz continued. "Even though we lost one or two [on the defensive line], it's an area that's still strong. As far as linebacker or defensive back, that's what I would look at."

Michael Johnson was the starting defensive end the Bengals lost this offseason when he signed with Tampa Bay. Linebacker James Harrison was also cut in March, leaving a hole in the regular rotation at "Sam" linebacker. The Bengals also probably wouldn't mind having another linebacker who could play the "Will" position, giving them another option in situations where tight ends, running backs and the occasional slot receiver needs to be covered.

Ohio State product Ryan Shazier is one linebacker who could provide that level of versatility and depth for the Bengals. If he is there when Cincinnati selects at No. 24, he could be an option. Other options for that draft slot include cornerbacks Darqueze Dennard (Michigan State), Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State), Kyle Fuller (Virginia Tech), Bradley Roby (Ohio State) and Jason Verrett (TCU). At least two of those cornerbacks are expected to be off the board before the No. 24 pick, as should the two highest-rated safeties -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Alabama) and Calvin Pryor (Louisville).

If there are no defensive backs or linebackers the Bengals like at No. 24, don't be surprised if they turn to the defensive line and figure out a way to help add to the depth at end. It all depends upon how that player grades on the Bengals' big board, though.

Munoz is probably on to something. It's something we've been saying for a while, but somehow it makes even more sense when a revered Hall of Famer says it: Cincinnati would be best served focusing early in the draft on defense. After that, go to town beefing up the offensive line with another body that can run block, another physical running back and a quarterback to back up Dalton.

The following is Munoz had to say about the Bengals' direction the past few seasons under head coach Marvin Lewis. It's something to keep in mind this weekend as the Bengals draft players. They don't just want good players, they want leaders, too. And lately, they have been among the best at drafting and developing those types of players:
"You can take the last three or four years and really separate it from the previous 18, 19 years. It is a different mindset and it's a totally different group of guys. One of my former teammates who's been a radio announcer or analyst for close to 30 years I think says it best: when your best players are your best guys and your hardest workers, that's when it starts to come around. I really believe that's what the Bengals have going for them. Their best players are their hardest workers and their best guys. ... This is a totally different makeup of the team. They're going in the right direction."

Gotta be Roby.  You can't teach speed and he played very well in 2012.  What the Buckeyes were attempting to do at defense in 2013 is still a mystery to me.

Plus, I want to win the contest biatches.

Word is that the Packers will snap up Mosely if he's available. It definitely feels like the Bengals will use the 24th pick on a player at a premium position...either CB or OT. Dennard/Fuller/Gilbert all figure to be gone. Along with Roby and Verrett, is Stanley Jean-Baptiste a realistic possibility at 24? He's been popping up in a lot of 1st round mocks lately, albeit near the bottom of the round. Everybody(except the Seahawks) needs secondary help, it seems.

In the "What Were They Thinking, Anti-Climactic Move of the Week" category, NFL Network just revealed Mayock's first 15 picks an hour before his special.  Mayock, never one to shy away from saying what he think, loudly proclaimed "That's not right. That's not right."

Spoiler Alert:  Fuller and Dennard are long gone. Manziel undrafted in top 15...

Word is that the Packers will snap up Mosely if he's available. It definitely feels like the Bengals will use the 24th pick on a player at a premium position...either CB or OT. Dennard/Fuller/Gilbert all figure to be gone. Along with Roby and Verrett, is Stanley Jean-Baptiste a realistic possibility at 24? He's been popping up in a lot of 1st round mocks lately, albeit near the bottom of the round. Everybody(except the Seahawks) needs secondary help, it seems.

The last few days as the realistic options become a little more clear (no Fuller, Dennard, Gilbert), I think it is starting to look like maybe that isn't the case. Like you said, the top 3 CBs are going to be gone. So are the top 4 or 5 OTs. 

If you read between the lines on what Lapham and Hobson have been saying, it doesn't sound like they have a 4th CB rated worthy of #24. I'd be pretty surprised at this point to see them take Roby or Verrett. It's a little less clear at OT what they think of guys like Kuandjio, Moses, Bitonio, etc. and that is definitely a possibility and whether they would be reaches at 24. But I tend to think it is actually trending towards the Bengals taking BPA at a position other than OT/CB (if they stay at 24). 

No idea who, but possibly a LB like Shazier, one of the Safeties or Brandin Cooks. Just depends on who is available and whether or not they can trade back. If they trade back, then I definitely think that OT/CB becomes more realistic.

For the first time in years, I'm starting to see an argument for us to trade up.

I have been thinking that for a while.  I don't think we have a lot of needs, and I'm not sure 9 picks make the team.  Move up and get a guy who can make a difference.

Not gonna happen though.

Not gonna happen though.

Ha, yeah.

Mayock just said something interesting.  It's the strongest "positional draft" he's seen in years.  Why take a QB that's 50-50 success in the top 10 when you can take a guy who's a much better spend? And the odds on QB's only get worse with each passing pick they drop...

I have been thinking that for a while.  I don't think we have a lot of needs, and I'm not sure 9 picks make the team.  Move up and get a guy who can make a difference.

Not gonna happen though.

The problem is that we only have 4 picks in the top 160 overall. We'd have to trade at least 1 of those early picks to move up. 

With the depth of this draft, I don't think I'd do it. If anything, I would be shooting for more mid-round picks.

Basically, 9 picks sounds great and all but the 6th and 7th round comp picks are longshot type picks.  Our own picks late in the 6th and 7th are the same. Those 4 picks are most likely practice squad types anyway.

That leaves 5 decent picks: 24, 55, 88, 123, 164.

It would probably take #88 just to move up 6 or 7 spots. Then you are left with say pick 18, pick 55 and then you sit around doing nothing while 80 good players in a deep draft go off the board...

The problem is that we only have 4 picks in the top 160 overall. We'd have to trade at least 1 of those early picks to move up. 

With the depth of this draft, I don't think I'd do it. If anything, I would be shooting for more mid-round picks.

Basically, 9 picks sounds great and all but the 6th and 7th round comp picks are longshot type picks.  Our own picks late in the 6th and 7th are the same. Those 4 picks are most likely practice squad types anyway.

That leaves 5 decent picks: 24, 55, 88, 123, 164.

It would probably take #88 just to move up 6 or 7 spots. Then you are left with say pick 18, pick 55 and then you sit around doing nothing while 80 good players in a deep draft go off the board...

If a 3rd round pick is the difference between getting Dennard or Gilbert in 1 or one of the other CBs in 2, I'd have to think long and hard about it.

6 Lwean

7 Evans

8 Gilbert

9 Martin

10 Dennard

11 Bortles

12 Ebron

13 Beckaham

14 Pryor

15 Fuller

16 Manzeil

17 Mosely

18 Brandon Cooks

19 Cyrus

20 Anthony Barr

21 Shazier

22 Haha Clinton's Dix (what Monica said)

And now commercial.  And my tongue is unfurled across my living room floor, dreaming of Aaron Donald lasting one more pick!

I hope none of you have taken the diabetes drug Actos.

Archived