23. Marquis Lee.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone but I have no idea why -------

AARON FUCKING DONALD AT 24!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO three months of going nuts.  If only... A man can dream...

and there is a huge amount of cumming the pants in Cincy..

Thank you Mr. Mayock....make it happen

I've seen him landing in top 5 lists lately. I don't actually think it's a stretch. And though he's similar to Geno, he's also very different, in that he has real versatility and can give you snaps from the edge.  In short, he's a rookie who would see playing time from the jump, and we can't say that about many.  Add to that the best three tech in a while will tutor under the best 3 tech in forever, and well, I'm drooling...

If a 3rd round pick is the difference between getting Dennard or Gilbert in 1 or one of the other CBs in 2, I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Fair enough. I think we are starting from the same place: we don't think we are going to be able to get one of our top targets at 24. 

We just differ on what we should do about it. I personally would rather trade down than up. Take Verrett after a trade down to add a noter 3rd, giving us two 3rd rounders over Gilbert/Dennard and no 3rd rounders (and that is assuming that Gilbert/Dennard actually fall into the 17-19 range where we could move up for just a 3rd and not have to use our 2nd). 

To me, Verrett+Jeremy Hill+Jack Mewhort>>>Gilbert, which is why I prefer a tradedown over a trade up.

23. Marquis Lee.

Maybe I'm forgetting someone but I have no idea why -------

AARON FUCKING DONALD AT 24!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO three months of going nuts.  If only... A man can dream...

Bridgewater to CLE at 26.

No way he makes it to 24, but it would be pretty awesome.

Good luck on 3rd and long.

Mayock has Pryor going at #13 overall.  Wow.

Mayock also implying that Steelers are interested in Manizel, and might trade down if they think they can still get him later...

That would be funny.  I can't imagine he would take the same pounding that Ben has gone through these years.

These rumors are from a site called optimum scouting (no idea how reliable they are). Highlighted a couple that are potentially of interest to us:

-The quarterbacks seem destined to fall. That’s been heavily reported. But I think it’s realistic to not expect a single passer in the top 15 of the draft. Despite what I’ve heard, along with most in the media, Jay Glazer of Fox Sports made it very clear the Browns won’t be taking Manziel. I’ve heard the Vikings won’t be taking Blake Bortles at #8 overall. And I’d be shocked if the Rams or Bucs take a passer in the top 10.

-Manziel to Dallas if he’s on the board. I don’t agree with it personally, and hopefully Dallas changes their mind if he does fall to them.

-Bridgewater potential suitors in first round: Jaguars, Bengals, Patriots, Texans. I think he’ll end up in round one.

-The battle for the first round between Bortles and Carr should be fun. The Cardinals and trade-up Texans lean Bortles. The Browns and trade-up Bucs prefer Carr. And the trade-up Vikings are a mystery. I’m leaning Carr in Cleveland, Bortles in Minnesota. The Browns, Jaguars also really like Jimmy Garoppolo.

-Here’s my top-seven picks, as of this posting (unlikely to change): Clowney-Robinson-Watkins-Evans-Donald-Mack-Matthews. Potential trade swap between the Jaguars and Falcons is possible, still netting Watkins and Mack, respectively.

-Aaron Donald isn’t leaving the top-8 picks. The Bucs and Vikings won’t pass on him.

-Some of my personal favorite/confident picks (assuming the players don’t go surprisingly earlier): Zach Martin to the Bills, Anthony Barr to the Titans, Ra’Shede Hageman to the Steelers, Morgan Moses to the Ravens, Brandin Cooks to the Jets and Ja’Wuan James to the Dolphins.

-Yes, Ja’Wuan James to the Dolphins. Played right tackle for Tennessee the last four years, never missed a start, high character and can plug-and-play at their biggest need. It’s a fit.

-Ryan Shazier is most likely going in the top 16 picks. Giants, Rams and Cowboys all in the mix. Green Bay would love if he sank to 21, but seems unlikely.

-Marcus Martin to the Saints. It’s been said plenty of times on social media (@JoshNorris and @JuMosq get the credit), but it seems like a near lock now.

-Deone Bucannon has a very good chance of being a first rounder. The Packers, Chiefs and Patriots are the most likely suitors.

-Jordan Matthews is going to be a first rounder as well. The Eagles, Packers, Panthers, 49ers and Seahawks are all interested. On the other hand, Marqise Lee will likely slip out of the first round. Injury concerns about. The Eagles, Panthers and Seahawks have interest, but odds are Lee will be hoping his old coach Pete Carroll saves him at 32.

-The Vikings top targets seem to be Khalil Mack, Mike Evans and Aaron Donald, in that order. However, it’s likely all three are gone. I’d expect them to move back. They could move to the teens for a team looking for a tackle (Giants, Rams, Dolphins) or even further down for a team coveting Odell Beckham Jr (Eagles, 49ers). Darqueze Dennard may be their pick.

-Louis Nix’s character concerns have been brought up, and teams wonder what kind of locker room guy he’ll be. He’s active on social media, but also needed a lot of attention from people at Notre Dame. Combine that with weight fluctuations, and he’s not going to be a Top 20 pick. Two teams that are most linked: the Chargers at 25 and the Texans at 33.

-There’s a real possibility that Eric Berry is traded on draft day, with the Falcons being most likely. The price tag is something around a second-round pick.

-I know of two teams who have Zack Martin above Taylor Lewan on their draft boards. Don’t be surprised if he goes higher on draft day.

-Darqueze Dennard and Jason Verrett have the most serious medical concerns of the cornerbacks. Justin Gilbert has been raved about as the top cornerback, but I know of one team that has Bradley Roby as their top cornerback, some that still have Darqueze Dennard at #1, and Kyle Fuller has his teams as well.

-CJ Mosley is off of more than a couple team’s boards, and others have knocked him down a round because of his medical concerns. Don’t be surprised if he’s not picked on Thursday.

-Possible trade to watch: Philadelphia trades to 9 (Buffalo) or 10 (Lions) for Anthony Barr. 49ers trade to 11 for Odell Beckham Jr.

Bob McGinn, one of the most plugged in draft writers out there, has no Safeties off the board until pick 29.

I've heard a lot of talk lately that both Pryor and Clinton-Dix are more late 1st types and not going to go anywhere near where they are projected. Pretty interesting and I wonder if we would consider one of those 2?

Also, FWIW he has us getting Fuller at 24.

Bob McGinn, one of the most plugged in draft writers out there, has no Safeties off the board until pick 29.

I've heard a lot of talk lately that both Pryor and Clinton-Dix are more late 1st types and not going to go anywhere near where they are projected. Pretty interesting and I wonder if we would consider one of those 2?

Also, FWIW he has us getting Fuller at 24.

No thanks. Neither Pryor nor Clinton-Dix is a great prospect. Nelson is still solid and Iloka and Williams still have upside so we don't really need a safety this year.

No thanks. Neither Pryor nor Clinton-Dix is a great prospect. Nelson is still solid and Iloka and Williams still have upside so we don't really need a safety this year.

I'd take Ward, but 24 is still a bit high for him.  None of these safeties would crack the top 3 of Vaccaro/Reid/Elam of last year.  

There's a lot of smoke about Aaron Donald to Zimmer at 8.

what injury concerns does Dennard have?

I'd take Ward, but 24 is still a bit high for him.  None of these safeties would crack the top 3 of Vaccaro/Reid/Elam of last year.  

There's a lot of smoke about Aaron Donald to Zimmer at 8.

what injury concerns does Dennard have?

Dennard has had some injury issues throughout his career at Michigan State. He had a sports hernia in 2012. A shoulder injury kept him out of 2012 spring practices. Missed time in 2011 because of an ankle injury and concussion. Suffered a season-ending knee injury in 2010.

The rumor I've heard is that some teams think that he could need surgery for the hernia thing. That's the same issue Chris Perry had that caused him to miss his rookie year.

Couple of "rumors" from insider...    

Fins fixing to trade out of No. 19? in.gif

May, 8, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

Most teams selecting in the teens during the first round of the draft likely aren't going to find the player they want at the right value. That's why teams like the Miami Dolphins, which draft 19th, are assessing the trade market.

"Sources around the NFL are saying, insisting actually, that Hickey wants to trade out of the Dolphins’ No. 19 overall selection in the first round," wrote Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. "That makes sense because the players the Dolphins covet either are not going to be available more than midway through the round or aren’t a value pick that early."

"One source is telling the Miami Herald the object of Hickey’s trade-up scenario is Notre Dame’s Zack Martin," he added.

Martin may well come off the board in the early teens, perhaps to the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 15 or the Dallas Cowboys at No. 16, so the Fins likely would have to trade up to get him.

If they stick at No. 19, they could go for a linebacker. PackerReport.com cited a source who said that OLB Ryan Shazier won't get past the Fins at No. 19.

The bottom line is that the Fins likely will target an O-lineman or a linebacker with their first pick, regardless of when it's made:

Todd McShay Draft needs for all 32 teams

"The Dolphins' offensive line situation is still a mess, even after adding left tackle Branden Albert and two others in free agency. It will be very surprising if they don't add a piece or two to the right side of the line early in this draft. They also need upgrades at the middle and weak-side linebacker spots and could look for a third wide receiver to play alongside Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline."

May, 7, 2014
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

According to a Mike Florio report, the Buffalo Bills aren't content drafting at the No. 9 spot in Thursday's NFL draft.

"The Bills, we're told, have been burning up the phone lines in an effort to work out a deal that would vault them from No. 9 to No. 1 or No. 2," Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com reported on Wednesday. "The targets are believed to be defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and tackle Greg Robinson."

Florio writes that it's unclear what it will take to get a deal done with either of the teams with a top-two pick, the Texans and Rams, but speculates that the Bills might be willing to include receiver Stevie Johnson as part of a trade package.

That could be appealing to St. Louis, which continues to covet talented players for Sam Bradford to throw to, and by trading down the Rams also could put themselves in prime position to add another receiver. No. 9 might be too low to land someone such as Texas A&M's Mike Evans, but LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. is rumored to be rising on draft boards and could be an option.

Jacksonville has an opportunity to bring in a player with the No. 3 pick of Thursday's NFL draft who will replace Maurice Jones-Drew as the face of the franchise.

A day before the Jags make their selection, there's growing belief that that player could be Johnny Manziel.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle tweeted this morning: "Word's spreading among media here that Manziel is going to Jacksonville at 3."

If this proves to be a smoke screen and the Jags ultimately go in another direction, Manziel will remain on the board for teams such as Cleveland (No. 4), Oakland (No. 5), Tampa Bay (No. 7), Minnesota (No. 8) and Tennessee (No. 11), which could have interest in the quarterback with their first pick.

ESPN Insider Mel Kiper Jr. lists Manziel as the top quarterback and No. 10 player overall on his final Big Board, a ranking that is up considerably from Manziel's previous spot (No. 18). H

Here's Kiper to explain:

Mel Kiper Jr. Manziel is effective on the run and in the pocket

"I'm certainly guilty of going back and forth on Manziel, but I ultimately believe he can be a very good player if he can stay on the field. His ability to move, improvise and make throws off platform are all special traits, but he's also an effective pocket passer when he stays patient -- a very accurate one, in fact. He anticipates well and sees the whole field, and though the arm strength is merely adequate, he can make special throws with touch and precision both from the pocket and on the move. The concern is durability -- but improved patience will help."

Will Beckham go before Evans? in.gif

May, 7, 2014
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN.com

ESPN Insider and NFL draft expert Todd McShay has LSU's big-play receiver Odell Beckham Jr. going to St. Louis with the No. 13 pick on his latest Mock Draft, six picks after Texas A&M's big, reliable target Mike Evans comes off the board to Tampa Bay at No. 7.

Meanwhile, Mel Kiper Jr. has Beckham going to Detroit at No. 10 on his latest mock, three picks after Evans, who he also has headed to the Buccaneers.

Evans has been considered the second-best receiver in the draft behind Clemson's big-play threat Sammy Watkins for quite some time, but could Beckham end up coming off the board before Evans in Thursday's first round? That's the latest buzz.

ESPN's Ed Werder tweeted this morning: "Nobody in the NFL will be surprised if LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. picked before Texas A&M's Mike Evans."

If this happens, and a team like Tampa Bay opts for Beckham at No. 7 ahead of Evans, it could enable a team like Buffalo (No. 9) to come away with Evans a few picks later than many have projected. This will be one of the many intriguing storylines to watch closely Thursday.

Bengals reflect on past draft days

May, 8, 2014
By Coley Harvey | ESPN.com

Now that the first day of the NFL draft is here, let's get a few current Cincinnati Bengals to reminisce about their draft day experiences, shall we? As you can imagine, for some, the waiting game was brutal:

DE Margus Hunt, 2012 second-round selection, native of Estonia

Will you watch the draft this year?
MH: Yeah, I'll keep an eye on it.

Of all the great things that have happened in your life, where does draft day rank?

MH: Pretty high up there. It's one of those things I can't really comprehend because I wasn't growing up here or growing up in this culture. It's hard for me to really grasp the meaning and significance of all of this. But it's definitely high up there to be in this kind of group of elite people and have this kind of opportunity.

WR A.J. Green, 2011 first-round selection, fourth overall

Where does draft day rank in your life?

AG: It'll be like No. 1 or 2. But it's the whole process, though. I'd never want to go through that whole process again.

CB Leon Hall, 2007 first-round selection, 18th overall

What do you remember about your draft? Did you go to New York?

LH: No, I didn't. It's really not for me, the whole deal in New York and the lights, the whole deal. I decided to stay home. I rented a little room and had my family and my close friends in there and just kind of hung out all day and it was fun. It was a long day. I was in California, so it started at 9 in the morning and I remember getting up and getting dressed, family members started showing up. It started to become more real. But it was a good day. We had a good time. Obviously it went well. I'm here. I'm happy. I'm still here. I'm still happy.

Did you get caught up in the speculation on the first round?

LH: Early on, I kind of got away from all that stuff. Depending on who it's coming from, they can say anything they want, to be quite honest. I remember in college when I was coming out and I was reading some stuff and some people say I'm too short, some people say I'm tall enough. It's just opinions, and some people probably said I could go higher, a lot lower, second round. I don't know. I don't really look into that too much.

Should you have been drafted before Darrelle Revis, who went 14th to the Jets?

LH: I feel like I should have gotten drafted where I was drafted.

Did you go about where you expected?

LH: Going into it, I remember my agent told me I'd go as far as 18 to Cincinnati. So I don't know how I would have felt if I hadn't gotten drafted at that time; if I went a little later. I don't know. But a couple days before, he was just telling me how he doesn't see Cincinnati getting past me. And it worked out. He was right.

DE, Carlos Dunlap, 2010 second-round selection

CD: My draft day was very anxious because I had a pretty large window of where I could go. Being in my situation [was arrested for a DUI the previous December], they gave me a late-first to early second-round grade. Then a few teams said they might take me as their No. 1 guy early. That's just one of those things. You never know.

How frustrating was the wait?

CD: It was frustrating, sitting there waiting. You don't know who, you don't know what team, or what they're thinking. A lot of people told me before the draft the teams you visit don't even end up drafting you, so it's like wow, all the visits I took, you'd think they would have drafted me because of what they said. I didn't even take a visit here.

Thoughts when the Bengals called?

CD: I was looking at the area code like, where is this? I don't know where 513 is. My sister or somebody Google'd it and said, 'Cincy.' I was like, 'Where's Cincy?' And here we are now.

Should you have been drafted before Darrelle Revis, who went 14th to the Jets?

Leon Hall: I feel like I should have gotten drafted where I was drafted.

Thoughts when the Bengals called?

Carlos Dunlop: I was looking at the area code like, where is this? I don't know where 513 is. My sister or somebody Google'd it and said, 'Cincy.' I was like, 'Where's Cincy?' And here we are now.

Got love Leon!... and laugh at 'Los.

I just hope a lot of WRs get taken in the first 23 picks.

I think as soon as the 3rd WR comes off the board, there will be a run on them and it will occur in the 1st Rd.  Watkins, Beckham, Evans.....2 of the 3 will be picked pretty early and that will cause the dominos to fall and WRs to get snagged up.  Maybe up to 6 or 7 of them if teams are dumb enough to consider Lattimore a Rd 1 guy. 

Archived