Can't think of any year where I was less excited about the realistic first round options for the Bengals...

Hope Lapham is right that the bengals would jump at the option of trading down. Really seems like the best case scenario. Love the depth of this class but I don't see much of a difference between #20 and the guys who should be available in the 2nd round.

First segment of round table, cold water on the Bridgewater talk. Hobson and others saying no way. 3rd round at earliest.

Current discussion, they are saying round 3 or 4 maybe. But if the right guy isn't there, they could end up just passing.

Some consensus that Aaron Murray could be the guy in the mid rounds because of the Georgia connection.

First segment of round table, cold water on the Bridgewater talk. Hobson and others saying no way. 3rd round at earliest.

Current discussion, they are saying round 3 or 4 maybe. But if the right guy isn't there, they could end up just passing.

Some consensus that Aaron Murray could be the guy in the mid rounds because of the Georgia connection.

Thx I missed a bunch

Yeah suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.  

Having been involved in drug testing for decades...that dog don't hunt. The amount of water necessary to dilute a test would never be prescribed.

Murray in the later rounds would be fine with me. The draft isn't exciting for us since we don't need a flashy player.

Notes from Lapham (who has a good track record on this stuff):

-Bengals would rather not be on the clock with QB, TE, WR, LB or S as the BPA. But says if one of those guys is true BPA then you have to consider it. Even Eric Ebron at TE. Mentioned Ryan Shazier (though he seemed down on LB as the pick) and he seemed really high on Shazier specifically and mentioned a LB corp of Shazier-Burfict-Lamur longterm.  (Side note: I too love Lamur as 1 of our starting LBers long term, think he is going to be really, really good.)

-Based on his list, he implies that they would like for BPA to be a CB, OL or DL in the 1st round.

-Implies that the Bengals would definitely consider any of Gilbert, Dennard or Fuller as BPA at 24 and that the best case scenario would be one of those 3 being on the board. Fuller was his favorite. Compared Dennard to Hall. Polished but not an elite athlete. Compared Gilbert to Joseph and said he was an elite athlete but might take some time. 

-Didn't mention Verrett or Roby, but the implication (imo) was those guys aren't really options at 24.

-Says 3rd-5th rounds are loaded. Going to be able to get starters in those rounds. Mentions RB and WR specifically. Says you probably don't want to trade up into the top 20 (presumably for one of the 3 CBs he mentioned) because those mid-round picks are so valuable. 

-Mentioned trade down as a possibility due to the depth of the draft. But depends who is on the board at 24.

-Said they would for sure consider guys like Savage, Mettenberger, McCarron, Murray, etc. in the 3rd. 

-Said RB was a possibility in any round after the 1st. Could go for another Gio type. Or a banger. Or anything in between. The position is really deep. 

Having been involved in drug testing for decades...that dog don't hunt. The amount of water necessary to dilute a test would never be prescribed.

Murray in the later rounds would be fine with me. The draft isn't exciting for us since we don't need a flashy player.

Every draft is exciting IMO, ESPECIALLY when you don't need a flashy player, because you are then in position to sit back like a fat cat and lick your chops as the unexpected choice morsels fall to you.

Nice to see that the talking heads are finally "throwing cold water" on the whole early round QB talk, as well as furthering the idea that even a late round pick could be a waste - unless a good guy falls unusually far and presents value. If we want to stay a top 10 ten we should focus on keeping the rest of the roster as strong as possible.

Now, as for Mayock's list, a number jump out at me. Perhaps none more than the one that has already been mentioned, which is Kyle Fuller at #13.  I mentioned a while back that it just seemed like the stars were pointing to him this year, but if NFL talent evaluators have him that high, given the position he plays, I have low confidence that he even makes it.  Mayock's top 100 has been ridiculed for years because a number of detractors say that it's basically the product of him polling his league sources less than his own evaluations.  But that's all the more reason to give it credence.  Other surprises to follow in my next post...

My surprises:

6. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - that's higher than I think most have had him, as he's generally been seen as a 10-15 type guy.  I'd love him here.
9. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame - see above.
12. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh - breaks my heart, that's all.
13. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech - biggest surprise in the top 20.
24. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama - not a surprise, but hard to overlook the number.
30. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska - big surprise.  Had a lights out senior bowl, and with his length...

34. Marcus Martin, C, USC - fringe first round for a guy that wasn't even mentioned earlier in the year is quite the climb.
38. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois - high. Interesting.
40. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU - higher than I would have thought with the blown knee.

41. Demarcus Lawrence, LB, Boise State - I've been giving us him in the second in some of my personal pencil mocks.
42. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - faaaaaallllllllll
43. Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State - It was mentioned on .com that the Bengals would jump at the top 3 in a few different positions, and safety was one of them. Is the third guy Bucannon or Ward?
54. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois - see above.
56. Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU - I was pretty sure this guy was going to be top 15 this year after last season.  If you told me we could get him with our second this year I would have been all over it.
61. Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford - Don't sleep on this guy. 
62. Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State - I don't see it from the games that I watched, but that's a limited sample size.
65. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State - lower than I would have thought.
69. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama - surprised by how high.
73. Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia - I've been touting him for a while, and gleefully taking him in some of those simulated mocks in the 5th and 6th rounds. Oh well.  This guy has 10 sack/year written all over him.
74. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College -Bam. Bam.  That's my new name for him and if I didn't think receiving were so important he might be my top choice. Has some Earl Campbell to him, and more importantly, brings the FUCKING ATTITUDE I want on this team. Haven't seen him this high much, but it's where he should be.
75. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
76. Brent Urban, DE, Virginia - No one's talking about this guy. Reminds me of Frostee Rucker for some reason.
77. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State - Lower than he's been touted.

78. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State Who?
80. Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech - Lower than expected, and I'd be all over him at 80 if the team thought he could fit (try hard Joker).

82. Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin - Calling Zach Thomas.
88. Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina - A creamier puff than Will Clarke, and Mayock's ratings show that.
93. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma - Would have though the ACL would have dropped him lower.
96. Preston Brown, LB, Louisville - Who?
100. Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson - see #93.

A couple of my thoughts about #24, if anyone cares, in the last few days leading up:

1. Not super excited about the 1st round (compared to other past 1st rounds) because I just have a bad feeling that the guys we want won't be there. Nothing to do with flashiness. I was excited about Kevin Zeitler who is about the least flashy player/position possible. I'm more excited about the 2nd-5th rounds as I think we have a chance to get some great values and potential impact guys. 

2. Of the guys that would make sense at 24 that are at a position of need, I think Dennard is the one who just may fall into our laps. He doesn't fit every defensive scheme. And sometimes the guys who don't have elite measureables are the ones who fall just a little on draft day. Plus, he seems to have settled in around #20, so we wouldn't be talking about a huge drop like back when he was considered a top 10 guy. Maybe 50/50 he is there.

3. Combining #1 and #2, I think this is the year we trade down if Dennard/Fuller aren't available and some crazy value doesn't fall into our laps. Ideally, I would love to trade back about 10 spots and pick up an early 3rd rounder. At the top of the 2nd, I think you can maybe get someone like Verrett and feel better about the value. And there are going to be some great players available at the top of the 3rd that would make it definitely worth it.

4. Shazier is interesting. He's a good kid. Super athlete. I worry that he's a little light on his bottom half and will get knocked backwards a bit too much. But he can fly. Not my first choice by any means, but a pick I could get excited about if it happens.

My surprises:

6. Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan - that's higher than I think most have had him, as he's generally been seen as a 10-15 type guy.  I'd love him here.
9. Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame - see above.
12. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh - breaks my heart, that's all.
13. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech - biggest surprise in the top 20.
24. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama - not a surprise, but hard to overlook the number.
30. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska - big surprise.  Had a lights out senior bowl, and with his length...

34. Marcus Martin, C, USC - fringe first round for a guy that wasn't even mentioned earlier in the year is quite the climb.
38. Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois - high. Interesting.
40. Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU - higher than I would have thought with the blown knee.

41. Demarcus Lawrence, LB, Boise State - I've been giving us him in the second in some of my personal pencil mocks.
42. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville - faaaaaallllllllll
43. Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State - It was mentioned on .com that the Bengals would jump at the top 3 in a few different positions, and safety was one of them. Is the third guy Bucannon or Ward?
54. Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois - see above.
56. Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU - I was pretty sure this guy was going to be top 15 this year after last season.  If you told me we could get him with our second this year I would have been all over it.
61. Trent Murphy, LB, Stanford - Don't sleep on this guy. 
62. Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State - I don't see it from the games that I watched, but that's a limited sample size.
65. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida State - lower than I would have thought.
69. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama - surprised by how high.
73. Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia - I've been touting him for a while, and gleefully taking him in some of those simulated mocks in the 5th and 6th rounds. Oh well.  This guy has 10 sack/year written all over him.
74. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College -Bam. Bam.  That's my new name for him and if I didn't think receiving were so important he might be my top choice. Has some Earl Campbell to him, and more importantly, brings the FUCKING ATTITUDE I want on this team. Haven't seen him this high much, but it's where he should be.
75. C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
76. Brent Urban, DE, Virginia - No one's talking about this guy. Reminds me of Frostee Rucker for some reason.
77. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State - Lower than he's been touted.

78. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State Who?
80. Jeremiah Attaochu, LB, Georgia Tech - Lower than expected, and I'd be all over him at 80 if the team thought he could fit (try hard Joker).

82. Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin - Calling Zach Thomas.
88. Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina - A creamier puff than Will Clarke, and Mayock's ratings show that.
93. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma - Would have though the ACL would have dropped him lower.
96. Preston Brown, LB, Louisville - Who?
100. Brandon Thomas, G, Clemson - see #93.

On your 2, Freeman was the 1st 1,000 yard guy at FSU in almost 20 years. He's just undersized. Probably a 4th rounder as a change of pace guy, but he runs bigger than his size.

Preston Brown is kind of a Brandon Spikes type 2 down run stuffing MLB without any coverage ability.

You would probably love Bob McGinn's series of rankings that he gets from polling scouts. IMO he is the most plugged in draft writer out there now after the Dallas guy retired. Having followed this stuff pretty closely, I think these rankings that he puts out based on the polls end up being the most accurate in terms of where guys actually go of anything out there:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers-b99261940z1-257880521.html

(That is a link to the LB ratings, but halfway down are the links to other positions. He's done everything but DBs, which I assume comes out tomorrow. Will also be interesting to see his mock draft on Wednesday or Thursday morning.)

-Bengals would rather not be on the clock with QB, TE, WR, LB or S as the BPA. But says if one of those guys is true BPA then you have to consider it. Even Eric Ebron at TE. Mentioned Ryan Shazier (though he seemed down on LB as the pick) and he seemed really high on Shazier specifically and mentioned a LB corp of Shazier-Burfict-Lamur longterm.  (Side note: I too love Lamur as 1 of our starting LBers long term, think he is going to be really, really good.)

-Based on his list, he implies that they would like for BPA to be a CB, OL or DL in the 1st round.

-Implies that the Bengals would definitely consider any of Gilbert, Dennard or Fuller as BPA at 24 and that the best case scenario would be one of those 3 being on the board. Fuller was his favorite. Compared Dennard to Hall. Polished but not an elite athlete. Compared Gilbert to Joseph and said he was an elite athlete but might take some time. 

-Didn't mention Verrett or Roby, but the implication (imo) was those guys aren't really options at 24.

-Says 3rd-5th rounds are loaded. Going to be able to get starters in those rounds. Mentions RB and WR specifically. Says you probably don't want to trade up into the top 20 (presumably for one of the 3 CBs he mentioned) because those mid-round picks are so valuable. 

-Mentioned trade down as a possibility due to the depth of the draft. But depends who is on the board at 24.

-Said they would for sure consider guys like Savage, Mettenberger, McCarron, Murray, etc. in the 3rd. 

-Said RB was a possibility in any round after the 1st. Could go for another Gio type. Or a banger. Or anything in between. The position is really deep.

I'm all for drafting Shazier at #24. In today's wide oped spread nfl a linebacker with elite speed is needed.

Some interesting stuff in this Peter King mock. Haven't seen Clinton-Dix falling to 24 in any other mocks:

1. *HOUSTON: KHALIL MACK, OLB, BUFFALO

While everyone talks about the immense athleticism of Jadeveon Clowney, let’s point this out: Mack’s 40 time at his Pro Day was 4.53 seconds. Clowney’s was 4.53 seconds. Mack vertical-jumped 40 inches, Clowney 37.5. GM Rick Smith must ignore the heat for bypassing Clowney.

2. ST. LOUIS: GREG ROBINSON, T, AUBURN

Biggest question for Jeff Fisher, obviously, is how he can not pick Jake Matthews, the son of a former great Oiler/Titan. But Bruce Matthews will understand. Robinson has the potential to be Orlando Pace II.

3. JACKSONVILLE: SAMMY WATKINS, WR, CLEMSON

All along I’ve thought it’d be Watkins or Mack here. One GM told me, “Take the safest guy here. David Caldwell will go safe.” Nobody truly is a safe pick in the NFL, but in the Watkins-versus-Clowney game, Watkins seems safer to me. And talk about a need pick.

4. ATLANTA: JADEVEON CLOWNEY, DE, S. CAROLINA

(Acquired from Cleveland for first- and third-round picks.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mack was higher-rated by the Falcons, but with Clowney still there at such a vital position of need, it’s worth the risk to jump up and ensure the Raiders don’t pick him.

5. OAKLAND: JAKE MATTHEWS, T, TEXAS A&M

Raiders get their Texas A&M offensive star, just not the one lots of Raiders fans wished it was. But offensive line is a huge need for Oakland, and GM Reggie McKenzie can dip into the deep pool of second-round quarterbacks with the 36th overall pick.

6. CLEVELAND: MIKE EVANS, WR, TEXAS A&M

(Acquired from Atlanta, with a third-round pick, in the trade-down from 4 to 6.)

Browns get their Texas A&M offensive star, just not the one lots of Browns fans wished it was. But how about a trio of Josh Gordon, Evans and Andrew Hawkins, the former Bengals waterbug, in the slot? Browns need a lot. This is good value for the spot. It would also give the Brown a ridiculous seven of the top 110 picks.

7. TAMPA BAY: JOHNNY MANZIEL, QB, TEXAS A&M

Wow. Three players in a row from A&M. Imagine that. If the Bucs do this, Manziel gets to learn for at least half the season behind Josh McCown (a very good player-coach), and the Bucs might be able to turn Mike Glennon into a late day-two pick.

8. MINNESOTA: AARON DONALD, DT, PITTSBURGH

Not buying the Blake Bortles buzz here, as much sense as it makes. The Vikings just have too many quarterbacks rated too closely, and they know they can get one with the 40th pick. Donald has some freakish athletic traits. Not quite John Randle, but the man is quick and can get to the passer.

9. *BUFFALO: TAYLOR LEWAN, T, MICHIGAN

Bills stunned that Lewan’s still hanging around, and they pass on tight end Eric Ebron, who could be a great security blanket for E.J. Manuel. Keep in mind that GM Doug Whaley is very much open for business here, and could trade down and still get another guy they love: Odell Beckham.

10. DETROIT: JUSTIN GILBERT, CB, OKLAHOMA STATE

I’ve heard just about every position possible here, and this could end up being Eric Ebron. But the Lions have to go corner. They just have to. Especially with the new defensive staff not seeing much talent to work with at the position.

11. TENNESSEE: ANTHONY BARR, OLB, UCLA

Ken Whisenhunt gulps hard when passing on a corner, and on Derek Carr. But the Titans need a pass-rusher badly. Barr has some limitations as a complete player, but he can get after the quarterback, and the Titans are going to need to threaten Andrew Luck to win the AFC South.

12. N.Y. GIANTS: ZACK MARTIN, T-G-C, NOTRE DAME

The offensive line is being overhauled and the Giants will pounce if Martin’s there. “Most versatile lineman I’ve seen come out in the draft in the last 10 years,’’ one assistant GM tell me.

13. *ST. LOUIS: DARQUEZE DENNARD, CB, MICH. ST.                        

Too bad Martin didn’t fall just one little slot here; if so, Rams GM Les Snead could have made a good trade for this pick with desperate Miami at 19. Dennard is a luxury pick who can challenge Trumaine Johnson at left corner in camp. I don’t have a good feel for the Rams’ pick here, but I am pretty sure it won’t be Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

14. CHICAGO: CALVIN PRYOR, SS, LOUISVILLE

My bet is GM Phil Emery would have liked Aaron Donald a lot here, and he’d be happy to move down if a greedy team threw him a day two pick. The Bears need some secondary reconstruction, and Pryor could start it.

15. PHILADELPHIA: ODELL BECKHAM, WR-KR, LSU

(Acquired from Pittsburgh for first- and second-round picks.)

A bit of a risky move, because the Eagles probably could have stayed at 22 and gotten Marqise Lee, another object of their affections. But the versatility of Beckham—who can play outside and slot and on returns—makes him a good replacement for DeSean Jackson. And cheaper.

16. DALLAS: TIMMY JERNIGAN, DT, FLORIDA STATE

Defensive coaches breathe a big sigh that Manziel’s off the board, because they know Jerry Jones was smitten with him. Jernigan will be day-one help for the league’s 30th-ranked run defense from last year. Not a giant, but a good run player because he plays with strong leverage.

17. BALTIMORE: ERIC EBRON, TE, NORTH CAROLINA

Party in the Ravens’ draft room. They love Ebron’s ability to be an instant force in the passing game and, combined with Dennis Pitta and perhaps Owen Daniels, the Ravens will have the best tight-end depth chart in football. Joe Flacco is very, very pleased.

18. N.Y. JETS: BRANDIN COOKS, WR, OREGON STATE

Still smarting from the Stephen Hill bust of a pick two years ago, the Jets get it right this time with a player who is every bit as good and explosive as last year’s top receiver picked—Tavon Austin. He’ll be exciting to watch. Finally the Jets can be competitive in offensive weaponry after being awful for the past few years.

19. MIAMI: CYRUS KOUANDJIO, T, ALABAMA

Not the tackle the Dolphins wanted, but at this point, beggars can’t be choosers. The Dolphins’ need is so big that new GM Dennis Hickey just had to do this. I expect Hickey to try to move up for Zack Martin, but I also expect he’ll find the price way too high.

20. ARIZONA: DEREK CARR, QB, FRESNO STATE

I just get the feeling that GM Steve Keim looks at his draft board here and thinks, “Well, Ted Thompson took Aaron Rodgers when it wasn’t a crying need—and maybe Carson Palmer will give us two more solid years. But Carr’s too good, and too high on our board, to pass up.”

21. GREEN BAY: C.J. MOSLEY, LB, ALABAMA

I wanted to put Ryan Shazier here, and that could well be Ted Thompson’s pick. But the Packers have to like Mosley’s nose for the ball, and Green Bay’s need at inside linebacker is big. This is a logical pick, and Thompson’s a logical man.

22. PITTSBURGH: KYLE FULLER, CB, VIRGINIA TECH

(Acquired from Philadelphia in the trade-down from 15 to 22.)

The Steelers are desperate to rebuild their cornerback depth chart, and this four-year starter in the ACC is a good way to begin. He’s physical too, the kind of player Mike Tomlin demands in the defensive backfield.

23. *KANSAS CITY: MARQISE LEE, WR, USC

Alex Smith, you’ve got a weapon. Dwayne Bowe, you’ve got a running mate. Though I think the Chiefs are hungry to get out of the pick—they don’t pick again till 87, having surrendered two second-rounders to San Francisco for Smith—I also think Andy Reid knows he needs help at receiver to upgrade his offensive attack.

24. CINCINNATI: HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, ALABAMA

Safety’s not the biggest need for the Bengals, but this pick falls into the category of “I’ve got to find a spot for Ha Ha.” Cincinnati has replenished good positions in recent years, and that’s what this pick is about. The Bengals can use help in the back end.

25. SAN DIEGO: JASON VERRETT, CB, TCU

The Chargers gave up 259 passing yards a game last year, and they face the reality of having to beat Peyton Manning for at least the next two years if they want to win the AFC West. A corner upgrade is vital. Verrett might be the best slot corner in this draft, and he’s good value here.

26. CLEVELAND: BLAKE BORTLES, QB, CENTRAL FLA.

The crash-and-burn that was Bortles’ night in the draft green room ends as Ray Farmer wins his game of chicken with the rest of the league. Can this happen? I am dubious, but I do think a very good player or two will fall precipitously, and as I made my calls in the past few days, I couldn’t find a Bortles lover. One may be in hiding. We’ll see.

27. NEW ORLEANS: RYAN SHAZIER, OLB, OHIO STATE

GM Mickey Loomis has gotten some very good value picks over the years, and this would be right up with the better ones in that class. I still think Loomis could go Darqueze Dennard in this scenario and be happy; Champ Bailey will be 36 in June. But Shazier is Rob Ryan’s kind of guy: disruptive (30.5 tackles behind the line last year) and tough, tough, tough.

28. CAROLINA: JORDAN MATTHEWS, WR, VANDERBILT

Now we get into the not-so-cream of the receiver crop. GM Dave Gettleman likes college experience and production out of his picks, so here comes the SEC’s all-time leading receiver, coming off a 112-catch season. Doesn’t hurt that he’s 6-3 and runs below a 4.5.

29. *NEW ENGLAND: STEPHON TUITT, DL, NOTRE DAME

Everyone I’ve talked to said some version of, “Oh, New England’s trading out.” Which I buy. I also would buy tight end Jace Amaro here. I do not buy Ra’shede Hageman. Too boom-or-bust. Tuitt’s a very strong Patriot kind of versatile tackle and 3-4 end with the ability to play outside, a la Vince Wilfork. 

30. *SAN FRANCISCO: CODY LATIMER, WR, INDIANA

The 49ers lack speed outside, and that’s why I think it’s more likely they vault way up using their treasure trove of picks (56, 61, 77, 94, to name the next four) than it is that they’d stay put. But if they don’t find a partner, Latimer and his 4.4 speed could be a good compliment to receiving-game staples Anquan Boldin and Vernon Davis.

31. DENVER: RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN, DT, MINNESOTA

“John Fox loves Hageman,’’ one GM told me Monday, and putting him in a three-man combo platter with Sylvester Williams and Terrance Knighton would be big trouble for the offensive coordinators of the AFC West … if Hageman can be the kind of consistent player he wasn’t always at Minnesota.

32. CLEVELAND: XAVIER SU’A-FILO, G, UCLA

(Acquired in trade with Seattle for a second- and low fourth-round pick.)

The Browns have been trying to sneak into the lower first round, thinking they’d need to move ahead of Houston at 33 to get their quarterback. But if they get Bortles or Manziel, now they have the luxury of jumping up four spot to get the best guard in the draft, filling a big need.

I'm all for drafting Shazier at #24. In today's wide oped spread nfl a linebacker with elite speed is needed.

Definitely wouldn't hate it. Wouldn't have bought the Bengals really being super interested in him a month ago, but I can see it now.

The closer we get and the more we see things coming into focus, he is definitely one of the guys who is right there in that conversation value wise in the early to mid-20s. Could easily be the BPA type of option if the top 3 CBs are gone, there's no OTs valued in that spot and the Bengals don't like Roby/Verrett at 24.

He's also a little bit extra interesting because even though he's small, he can rush the passer. He wasn't asked to do it much at OSU, but he was a high school DE and has a few pass rush moves, a bit of length and obviously tons of speed. Adds to his value on 3rd down because he can be a top notch blitzed and should be able to develop into a very good coverage guy (though he really wasn't at OSU imo) with his speed.

If he is there you have to take him.

But he's gone in the first 15 picks (and likely by 10).

I'm a little surprised he said safety, because I heard somewhere else they would like to get one early (although I don't see it as a need beyond a backup FS myself).

Thanks!

Some interesting stuff in this Peter King mock. Haven't seen Clinton-Dix falling to 24 in any other mocks:

24. CINCINNATI: HA HA CLINTON-DIX, S, ALABAMA

Safety’s not the biggest need for the Bengals, but this pick falls into the category of “I’ve got to find a spot for Ha Ha.” Cincinnati has replenished good positions in recent years, and that’s what this pick is about. The Bengals can use help in the back end.

Ha-Ha's not the caliber of player you "have to find a spot for."

Receiving key to RB Hill's stock? in.gif

May, 6, 2014
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

nfl_draft_110.gif
LSU running back Jeremy Hill racked up 2,156 yards and 28 touchdowns on the ground over the past two years, but he reeled in only 18 passes for 181 yards last season. To help prove to scouts that he is a good pass-catcher, despite the lack of production in that department, he ran plenty of routes during LSU's pro day.

"Hill worked more vertical portions of a route tree from the slot, outside the hashes and as a H-back," noted Matthew Harris of TheAdvocate.com.

"And don’t get caught up in the fact he had just 18 catches for 181 yards this season," he added. "Take, for example, his 14.7 yards per catch on first down."

Hill said that in his mind, “There’s not really a route I have trouble doing."

ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. noted Hill's pass-catching skills when he gave the running back to the New England Patriots with the 62nd pick in his three-round mock draft with Todd McShay:

Mel Kiper Jr.

"The Patriots can continue to be a really effective running team, but they don't have a powerful, explosive downhill runner like Hill. At 230-plus pounds and with the ability to create yards after contact, he can help immediately (and isn't too shabby as a pass-catcher)."

On your 2, Freeman was the 1st 1,000 yard guy at FSU in almost 20 years. He's just undersized. Probably a 4th rounder as a change of pace guy, but he runs bigger than his size.

Preston Brown is kind of a Brandon Spikes type 2 down run stuffing MLB without any coverage ability.

You would probably love Bob McGinn's series of rankings that he gets from polling scouts. IMO he is the most plugged in draft writer out there now after the Dallas guy retired. Having followed this stuff pretty closely, I think these rankings that he puts out based on the polls end up being the most accurate in terms of where guys actually go of anything out there:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/rating-the-nfl-draft-prospects-linebackers-b99261940z1-257880521.html

(That is a link to the LB ratings, but halfway down are the links to other positions. He's done everything but DBs, which I assume comes out tomorrow. Will also be interesting to see his mock draft on Wednesday or Thursday morning.)

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News) didn't retire... He was the NFL beat writer, now he's a columnist. He was promoted.

He doesn't do his Top 100 any more because he covers all sports.

Definitely wouldn't hate it. Wouldn't have bought the Bengals really being super interested in him a month ago, but I can see it now.

The closer we get and the more we see things coming into focus, he is definitely one of the guys who is right there in that conversation value wise in the early to mid-20s. Could easily be the BPA type of option if the top 3 CBs are gone, there's no OTs valued in that spot and the Bengals don't like Roby/Verrett at 24.

He's also a little bit extra interesting because even though he's small, he can rush the passer. He wasn't asked to do it much at OSU, but he was a high school DE and has a few pass rush moves, a bit of length and obviously tons of speed. Adds to his value on 3rd down because he can be a top notch blitzed and should be able to develop into a very good coverage guy (though he really wasn't at OSU imo) with his speed.

Seems like Paulie G likes the blitz more, so in that respect, Shazier fits. So does Kyle Fuller, who did some at Va Tech, along with playing several positions. I also wouldn't sleep on Dee Ford... A bit undersized, but I'm sure he can put on some pounds.

Archived