Former Redskins GM: The Bengals are better off without Gruden

grudenMIC.jpg

(Toni L. Sandys/The Washington Post)

Every time I publish anything about Vinny Cerrato, I invariably receive a certain type of feedback. It goes like this: Why would you publish the musings of a man universally credited with torpedoing Washington’s roster during his years in the front office? Why would you confer credibility upon a man loathed by most local fans? Why would you think that any of your readers care what Cerrato thinks about the Redskins, or about the NFL, or about the price of Pecorino in a Tuscan market? And don’t you possibly have anything better to do with your time?

I dunno. Guess not.

Anyhow, Cerrato was on SiriusXM NFL Radio with Howard David over the weekend, and was asked how he thought Jay Gruden would fare in Washington.

“Well I say this, I think Cincinnati got better,” Cerrato began. “And here’s why I say that: I think Hue Jackson will run the ball, and …”

At this point David interrupted Cerrato, pointing out that he was asking about Jay Gruden, Washington Redskins head coach.

“I was talking about Washington and what you expect out of Jay Gruden,” David noted.

“Right,” Cerrato agreed. “And that’s why I was saying, I think Cincinnati got better by him leaving. Just look at one play against the Ravens last year. They had the Ravens on the ropes, ready to quit. They run the ball down to the 1, he throws an interception, they continue the game. See, I think what they’ll do now in Cincinnati is [offensive coordinator] Hue Jackson will run the football a lot more than Jay Gruden. I think there’ll be more balance.

“Now, in Washington, I don’t know how he’ll be,” Cerrato said, getting to the Redskins. “You know, he’s got to commit to the run game, too, Jay Gruden.  So it’s going to be interesting to see. I mean, it’s his first chance. I’ll be anxious to see it. Because let me say this: Mike Shanahan’s a great football coach. I’ve worked with Mike. I know what he can do. So it’s going to be interesting to see what Gruden can do.”

Wait, I just thought of a reason to do this: Because if Cerrato thinks the Bengals will be better off without Gruden, many Redskins fans will feel a whole lot better about him running their team.

Also, if you wanted to be struck dead from irony like a caterpillar being body-slammed by Albert Haynesworth, Cerrato talked about some teams being stuck in salary cap jail.

“There’s certain teams — Dallas, New Orleans, and some of those — that have no cap room,” Cerrato noted. “That’s gonna make it very difficult for them to do anything. That’s why you see them restructuring, getting rid of players. They’re doing a credit-card mentality in Dallas. It’s going to catch up to them eventually. I’ve been through that.”

Sounds yucky.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/03/10/cerrato-bengals-better-without-gruden/

Vinny Cerrato is a joke ask any redskins fan and they will tell you how he screwed up the redskins roster,and how he over paid for an over the hill donovan mcnabb and an overrated albert haynesworth or how he traded away most of the draft picks and set mike shanahan up for failure.I'm not saying jay gruden was the greatest thing since slice bread and I'm not saying he was a bad offensive coordinator because  under and he and mike zimmer the Bengals have made it to the playoffs 3 season's in row.

We are better off without Gruden because our OC won't be looking for a new job this season and in a hurry to get there.

Maybe now we can finally win that first game of the playoffs.

How did we lose to the Chargers?  ...at home?

We are better off without Gruden because our OC won't be looking for a new job this season and in a hurry to get there.

Maybe now we can finally win that first game of the playoffs.

How did we lose to the Chargers?  ...at home?

BJ fucking GE running over 5 ypc to boot...

@evansilva: More you examine Jay Gruden's usage of players as #Bengals OC, more you wonder how he got HC job. Great last name though

Gruden may have been a good hire in terms of bringing in an outside guy with a name young and old player's could recognize. He probably got their respect immediately. And plus, he was more creative than Bratkowski but almost just as predictable. When you go from a guy like Bratkowski to anyone, it sure is better...

But coaching Andy to throw that first down fade to AJ after we ran it down their throat, telling Andy to throw a blind post no matter what. He barely used our 1st round down field threat down field, Gio bailed him out completely with some Houdini acts on defenders and ended in the end zone, our defense gave us numerous chances to score points. They may have set records on offense for this and that but the talent on the team is WAY better than most. We definitely have the most talent in the AFCN. His inability to minimize the turnovers and his managing of Andy was shameful. How he got a HC job... well, it's Washington if that tells you anything.

well yea, every team passes more than it runs, nobody's over 50% run.  Roberts seemed to imply that they'd be more pass heavy this year though, which flies in the face of what they're best at.

Actually in 2012 they did run more than they passed.  :)

I don't put any stock in to what Vinny Cerrato has to say because he is joke.with that being said,I'm looking forward to what hue jackson is going to do.because when he was in Oakland his offense looked like a combination of cam cameron and bob bratkowski,so he may very well take some of what jay gruden did last year and modify it.Was jay gruden perfect no,he did do some good things here and he did do some bad things here as well,but he is the redskins problem now.

I think people here are a bit too critical of Gruden. He did a pretty good job here. I like Hue a lot, but I bet our overall production offensively won't be that much different.

I still don't get the love affair with Hue as an OC that a number of people have here, as a position coach yes, but he hasn't done much as an OC, now ill grant you the teams he was OC for didn't have the level of talent we do so I'm willing to see how he does with a talented team, but this Hue is gonna fix everything as if he's proven je can as an OC I don't get.

I still don't get the love affair with Hue as an OC that a number of people have here, as a position coach yes, but he hasn't done much as an OC, now ill grant you the teams he was OC for didn't have the level of talent we do so I'm willing to see how he does with a talented team, but this Hue is gonna fix everything as if he's proven je can as an OC I don't get.

Took the Raiders who were 31st in Offense and raised them to 10th in one season. They went from 21st to 2nd in the NFL in rushing. 

I'd call that proof.

He's got a lot more talent now (O-Line in progress), so that's enough for me.

Archived