Former Redskins GM: The Bengals are better off without Gruden

Fair enough I hadn't realized he was their OC first.

Well no excuses then right? ;)

Or what?  What are you going to do about it if they don't meet your expectations then?  Complain more on a fan message board?  As far as I can tell that only affects the other fans trying to enjoy said message board... You don't live in the area so I know you aren't a season ticket holder or even a frequent single ticket buyer.

What is it that you offer to this franchise that they should give a shit about whether you think they have any "excuses" or not?

Or what?  What are you going to do about it if they don't meet your expectations then?  Complain more on a fan message board?  As far as I can tell that only affects the other fans trying to enjoy said message board... You don't live in the area so I know you aren't a season ticket holder or even a frequent single ticket buyer.

What is it that you offer to this franchise that they should give a shit about whether you think they have any "excuses" or not?

In a word, yes. If that effects your ability to enjoy said message board that's on you not me.

*obligatory Da Barez reference*

point being that there are legit reasons why they could fall short of expectations.. mostly due to injury.

And there are reasons that are not legit as well. Injury wasnt an issue last season.

And there are reasons that are not legit as well. Injury wasnt an issue last season.

Really? You don't think losing BOTH guards and the two best players on the defense might have had some impact?

That doesn't erase every bad play or anything, but it certainly didn't help.

Really? You don't think losing BOTH guards and the two best players on the defense might have had some impact?

That doesn't erase every bad play or anything, but it certainly didn't help.

Even after losing the two best defenders we were still the number 3 rated D, so no. We also only lost Zeitler for a few games and when we lost Boling and Whit kicked inside I would argue that the Oline got better, so again no.

Even after losing the two best defenders we were still the number 3 rated D, so no. We also only lost Zeitler for a few games and when we lost Boling and Whit kicked inside I would argue that the Oline got better, so again no.

You really don't think having Atkins and Hall (not to mention Newman) against SD would have made a difference?

You really don't think having Atkins and Hall (not to mention Newman) against SD would have made a difference?

I guess his point is that we should have won the game even without Atkins and Hall, which I agree with.

But doesnt change the FACT that not having Atkins and Hall, and several guys really banged up on the oline, had an impact on the game. I think with Geno alone we have a great shot to win that game.

Its not an excuse as we still should have won. But having one of the best defensive players in the game on the field could have been enough to shift momentum in a few of those game defining moments. I mean how many times in the last 3 years has geno contributed to a big sack or big turnover to help us in a game? Maybe not himself doing it, but just by being on the field, getting a good rush and getting pressure on the qb, getting double teamed freeing up others, etc. 

I understand jamies point that we still should have won, but injuries definitely had an impact on that game and our post season chances in general.

I guess his point is that we should have won the game even without Atkins and Hall, which I agree with.

But doesnt change the FACT that not having Atkins and Hall, and several guys really banged up on the oline, had an impact on the game. I think with Geno alone we have a great shot to win that game.

Its not an excuse as we still should have won. But having one of the best defensive players in the game on the field could have been enough to shift momentum in a few of those game defining moments. I mean how many times in the last 3 years has geno contributed to a big sack or big turnover to help us in a game? Maybe not himself doing it, but just by being on the field, getting a good rush and getting pressure on the qb, getting double teamed freeing up others, etc. 

I understand jamies point that we still should have won, but injuries definitely had an impact on that game and our post season chances in general.

Nope.  100% Andy Driven!  In fact, Andy is why we got so much snow this year, Why they can't find the plane, and from what I've heard was at the center of the Russian takeover of Crimea.

Nope.  100% Andy Driven!  In fact, Andy is why we got so much snow this year, Why they can't find the plane, and from what I've heard was at the center of the Russian takeover of Crimea.

Ah you say that in jest but several of the posters on this board believe pretty much that.

Number 3 rated D got ass-raped in the biggest game(s) as usual.

But anyone who thinks we had a shot missed the Miami game, when that shot blew out it's ACL.

I don't see your point. Just cause they played well without them against other teams doesn't mean they wouldn't have played better with them vs SD.

Since SD ran the ball right up the gut to get their long drives and TDs to win, the fact that Geno wasn't playing could reasonably be a factor.

Anyone have a link to those stats concerning Gruden's performance against 3-4 defenses versus his performances against 4-3 defenses? They got posted in a thread a few months ago, and I totally meant to copy them into Evernote for future reference... I just can't find the thread.

Anyone have a link to those stats concerning Gruden's performance against 3-4 defenses versus his performances against 4-3 defenses? They got posted in a thread a few months ago, and I totally meant to copy them into Evernote for future reference... I just can't find the thread.

let me find it, I posted it.  It was insane.  The Bengals were something like 17-2 against 4-3 defenses, with both losses coming to Miami and Kevin Coyle.  Obviously more goes into a loss than that, but it was a really lopsided stat.

here it is:

(this is by no means an absolute statement)

Gruden said he never felt comfortable calling plays against 3-4 defenses.

Against the division, all of whom run 3-4 defenses:  the Bengals were 8-10

Against other 3-4 defenses:  the Bengals were 5-5

In the playoffs, all 3 games against 3-4 defenses:  0-3

13-18 overall.

Against 4-3 defenses:  the Bengals were 17-3.  (2 of those losses were to Kevin Coyle).

Who says they would not have been #1 with Hall and Geno?

Who's to say they would have?

I don't see your point. Just cause they played well without them against other teams doesn't mean they wouldn't have played better with them vs SD.

Nor does it mean they would have played better with them vs SD.

But I dont put that loss on the sholders of the D, so....

Archived