Why Muslims Don't Eat Pork

Just got this from our food company. Just thought to share with you all. 

I read it. It kills piglets. Poses no risk to humans. In other news, mad cow disease, salmonella, listeria and campylobacter want their money back. And all the various fish and shellfish parasites and bacteria are starting to raise their torches and pitchforks at the gates.

I'm sure your body's thanking you....

What's wrong with it?

I think I had pork twice again yesterday. Today I will have pork twice again (deli ham and pork ribs). Got me some deli turkey in there too and already ate a turkey burger. Those ribs are calling my name but I've already ate twice - gotta hold out as long as I can. Packed some blueberries, a Carbmaster yogurt from Kroger, Velveeta 2% shells and cheese.... gonna be a good day in here. Had some green peppers and onions a little bit ago with the burger. And portabello (spelling?) mushrooms. Probably bake that tilapia filet tonight sometime. Thing was thick; gonna be amazing.

Anyone have any tilapia recipes? I usually go garlic powder, olive oil, paprika, salt & pepper and it's pretty good. Bake it for about 20 minutes pending thickness of the thing. Never had a bad one unless it's from the bagged and sealed stuff. Then those taste like rubber and ruin your meal.

What I've learned in the past few years of studying nutrition and dealing with people......many people don't really care about their health....well, until an acute problem manifests itself....then they're ready to go 180' opposite direction.   

How is pork and turkey bad for my body?

Not a nutritionist, but pretty obsessed with how I eat (with a big tip of the hat to Khat), and the affect of that food on your body depends a lot on where it came from and how it is prepared.  

Do you have any idea how much sodium that deli ham contains based on how much you're eating?  As it's most likely cured I'm guessing a ton. Excess sodium is flat out horrible for your body, particularly if you have family history of hypertension and heart disease like mine does.  Was that turkey feed antibiotics and\or growth hormones?  What are the long term affects of those chemicals on your body?  No one really knows, but preliminary results are "not good".  The same goes with the pork you consumed.  Most people don't even stop to think about that.  I also noticed you consumed Velveeta.  Have you ever read the ingredients on that stuff?  There is no conceivable way that the myriad of chemicals in that product is "good" for you in any way shape or form.

Now again, I'm not judging or finger pointing, as I used to consume a lot of highly questionable food and "food" products.  I made a conscious decision to radically change my diet after my brother dropped dead of a heart attack last year at the age of 48.  Not wanting to die or have a catastrophic cardiac incident in the next 6-8 years is pretty good motivation, but everyone needs to find their own way.

I will suggest this:  Get a baseline for your core health status.  Blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, etc..  Then, for a period of 6 months change your diet.  It doesn't have to be drastic, just cut your meat\animal intake by half, and replace it with fruits, vegetables, dark greens, nuts, and fatty fish.  I think you'll find an improvement in your overall health status, and will probably feel better as well.  I think you would truly be surprised. 

Just a thought... 

Not a nutritionist, but pretty obsessed with how I eat (with a big tip of the hat to Khat), and the affect of that food on your body depends a lot on where it came from and how it is prepared.  

Do you have any idea how much sodium that deli ham contains based on how much you're eating?  As it's most likely cured I'm guessing a ton. Excess sodium is flat out horrible for your body, particularly if you have family history of hypertension and heart disease like mine does.  Was that turkey feed antibiotics and\or growth hormones?  What are the long term affects of those chemicals on your body?  No one really knows, but preliminary results are "not good".  The same goes with the pork you consumed.  Most people don't even stop to think about that.  I also noticed you consumed Velveeta.  Have you ever read the ingredients on that stuff?  There is no conceivable way that the myriad of chemicals in that product is "good" for you in any way shape or form.

Now again, I'm not judging or finger pointing, as I used to consume a lot of highly questionable food and "food" products.  I made a conscious decision to radically change my diet after my brother dropped dead of a heart attack last year at the age of 48.  Not wanting to die or have a catastrophic cardiac incident in the next 6-8 years is pretty good motivation, but everyone needs to find their own way.

I will suggest this:  Get a baseline for your core health status.  Blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, etc..  Then, for a period of 6 months change your diet.  It doesn't have to be drastic, just cut your meat\animal intake by half, and replace it with fruits, vegetables, dark greens, nuts, and fatty fish.  I think you'll find an improvement in your overall health status, and will probably feel better as well.  I think you would truly be surprised. 

Just a thought... 

I'll never know what the turkey and pig ate prior to me eating it. I do buy organic when available. I only buy organic chicken and whatever organic vegetable and fruit I can find. However, if I'm at a friend's house and he's grilling chicken, I wouldn't care if it was organic or not. Sometimes, unless you go to Whole Foods or Dorothy Lane (think that's what it's called) there's no way you can eat, well, eat as much as I do, and not land on something "unhealthy". It's just not available. The time you would have to put in to hit up those grocery stores and definitely the cost; I couldn't do it (with everything I eat) even if I wanted. I do eat organic cereal and it's freaking amazing. I could never go to a diet where I'm out picking berries off the vine and drop the meat (even half) intake because I'd shrivel to skin and bones and I like to play competitive ball (competitive to me anyway) and need the muscle/strength. I'm definitely not on your level and until I stop playing ball, which has to come within the next ten years I'd say, I'll never go full organic. I mean it's 12:44 and I've already smashed a turkey cheeseburger, onions, green peppers, blueberries, half rack of ribs, Kashi bar, protein shake, and about a cup and a half of shells and cheese. Big difference between myself and many others: I hit the gym usually every Monday through Friday (at least 4 days) and I am doing something physically challenging (ball, hiking, running, walking, whatever) on Saturday. Last week (my arm is messed up, did something to the bicep I think) I didn't go to the gym TH or F and barely ate in comparison to how I normally do and definitely felt the effects of it Saturday. What kind of meals are you eating?

I actually typed that without reading your post, just a general observation I had.....but now that I've read it....yikes!  Haha.....here's an article to start your journey:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/12/eating-pork.aspx

and read this:

http://www.alternet.org/food/bacon-hog-farm?page=0%2C1&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

Turkey....deli turkey to be more exact....is processed meat.  It's like bologna.  All sorts of sodium, preservatives....and did you account for the source of that turkey?  How was it treated?  Meaning, was it allowed to roam around and eat naturally or was it crammed into a farm setting with hundreds/thousands of other turkeys, given growth hormone so that profit can be maximized, then when it got too big without any exercise at all, causing sickness...it was given antibiotics.   You're consuming all those things when you eat that turkey.  Reducing immunity in yourself while increasing inflammation, acidity within your body.   A horrible mix, that manifests itself....eventually. 

Eating organic isn't much more expensive and eating local is actually the best....if it's local and organic then you've got yourself a food whose quality is as it was meant to be. 

Just a thought... 

This brought a tear to my eye haha.  Elflocko, I have great respect for you brother.  You're doing/have done what SO many people struggle with.....lifestyle change. 

Tigris, for your meat....I would try to find a free range, grass fed source of beef/goat/lamb/chicken etc....living where you do, I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to find.  Same with veggies...find a local farmer who grows them and buy them from him/her.   The cost isn't that much more when you consider the potential doctor's bills you will/would be saving, prescriptions etc...

Tigris, for your meat....I would try to find a free range, grass fed source of beef/goat/lamb/chicken etc....living where you do, I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to find.  Same with veggies...find a local farmer who grows them and buy them from him/her.   The cost isn't that much more when you consider the potential doctor's bills you will/would be saving, prescriptions etc...

I live in the boodocks so I am sure the meat shouldn't be too bad (beef and such) but I'm a fish guy... salt water fish. That'll be a challenge.

I live in the boodocks so I am sure the meat shouldn't be too bad (beef and such) but I'm a fish guy... salt water fish. That'll be a challenge.

Problem is that the meat you're purchasing doesn't come from the boondocks.  It comes from factory farms, wherever the local store you're purchasing from, has a contract with.   I'm assuming you're buying from grocery stores vs specialty meat shops or from the actual farmer himself. 

Fish is tough...because a large majority of it is farmed, with toxic levels of heavy metals and other issues.  Wild Caught Atlantic Salmon can be found in Krogers I believe...that would be a better option.   I would personally avoid tilapia and catfish. 

You should move to Chile and eat seabass all day.  

Problem is that the meat you're purchasing doesn't come from the boondocks.  It comes from factory farms, wherever the local store you're purchasing from, has a contract with.   I'm assuming you're buying from grocery stores vs specialty meat shops or from the actual farmer himself. 

Fish is tough...because a large majority of it is farmed, with toxic levels of heavy metals and other issues.  Wild Caught Atlantic Salmon can be found in Krogers I believe...that would be a better option.   I would personally avoid tilapia and catfish. 

You should move to Chile and eat seabass all day.  

Seabass is amazing but it's so expensive.

I could never go to a diet where I'm out picking berries off the vine and drop the meat (even half) intake because I'd shrivel to skin and bones and I like to play competitive ball (competitive to me anyway) and need the muscle/strength. I'm definitely not on your level and until I stop playing ball, which has to come within the next ten years I'd say

That's certainly a valid point and one I didn't consider as I don't exercise much, let alone on that level.

What kind of meals are you eating?

A typical day starts out with a bowl of organic cereal with almond milk.  Then, between when I leave for work and lunch I typically eat 2-3 apples and a couple of pears or plums depending on what is in season and available in the middle of the desert.  For lunch I often have beans or legumes (black beans, pintos, garbanzo, etc.) seasoned and cooked the night before with peppers and onions, or a piece of organic chicken.  An evening meal will generally consist of a chopped salad with spinach and kale with tomatoes, cucumbers, other assorted vegetables with olive oil and vinegar.  Most often I have baked salmon or organic chicken or other seafood or shellfish.  I also supplement with popcorn, almonds, chestnuts and pistachios (unsalted).

That's a typical day, and once a week or so I'll eat pizza, or street tacos, wings, or something else delicious and most likely unhealthy.  Do I eat healthy 100% of the time?  Heck no, but I do 90% of the time, and it makes a huge difference.  

They have Whole Foods in Cincinnati? Last I checked Columbus was the only one in Ohio.

I believe you can get organic/grass fed meat through local farmers in a few locations in Ohio, but not out of any chain store.

1. Yes

2. There are tons.  This is farm country, man!  Miller Amish Poultry is available at Kroger, and while not organic they are hormone/antibiotic-free & fed all-veg diets.  Kroger carries their own organic line now called "Simple Truth", they're hit and miss but can be really good. Beyond that, there are at least 2 organic beef suppliers near Cincinnati that I know of, the silage-fed Reserve Run beef being my favorite..  Organic bison from WIllow Stoke in Indiana.. Also Snowville, Hartzler & Trader's Point dairies are nearby.. Dean Farm (chicken), Marksbury Farms (beef/pork) Grassroots Grazier (lamb), Smoking Goose (sausage, lamb bacon) I pass at least 3 small farms selling eggs on my way to work.  All sorts of organic produce and even grains available.

There's Findlay Market and a bunch of smaller Farmer's Markets all over SW Ohio & Green Bean Delivery carries most of the people above..

That's certainly a valid point and one I didn't consider as I don't exercise much, let alone on that level.

A typical day starts out with a bowl of organic cereal with almond milk.  Then, between when I leave for work and lunch I typically eat 2-3 apples and a couple of pears or plums depending on what is in season and available in the middle of the desert.  For lunch I often have beans or legumes (black beans, pintos, garbanzo, etc.) seasoned and cooked the night before with peppers and onions, or a piece of organic chicken.  An evening meal will generally consist of a chopped salad with spinach and kale with tomatoes, cucumbers, other assorted vegetables with olive oil and vinegar.  Most often I have baked salmon or organic chicken or other seafood or shellfish.  I also supplement with popcorn, almonds, chestnuts and pistachios (unsalted).

That's a typical day, and once a week or so I'll eat pizza, or street tacos, wings, or something else delicious and most likely unhealthy.  Do I eat healthy 100% of the time?  Heck no, but I do 90% of the time, and it makes a huge difference.  

About once a week I'll go down and slam a very large amount of ice cream.

Nobody eats healthy 100% of the time, and nobody should.  You have to treat yourself every once in a while...

1. Yes

2. There are tons.  This is farm country, man!  Miller Amish Poultry is available at Kroger, and while not organic they are hormone/antibiotic-free & fed all-veg diets.  Kroger carries their own organic line now called "Simple Truth", they're hit and miss but can be really good. Beyond that, there are at least 2 organic beef suppliers near Cincinnati that I know of, the silage-fed Reserve Run beef being my favorite..  Organic bison from WIllow Stoke in Indiana.. Also Snowville, Hartzler & Trader's Point dairies are nearby.. Dean Farm (chicken), Marksbury Farms (beef/pork) Grassroots Grazier (lamb), Smoking Goose (sausage, lamb bacon) I pass at least 3 small farms selling eggs on my way to work.  All sorts of organic produce and even grains available.

There's Findlay Market and a bunch of smaller Farmer's Markets all over SW Ohio & Green Bean Delivery carries most of the people above..

You and I could be great friends if not for your outrageous views on Andy Dalton and BJGE.  :lol: 

I would like to know where these farms are...I love variety and to be able to network with farmers is also nice.  You end up realizing that they all know each other.  PM if you prefer, much appreciated! 

Nobody eats healthy 100% of the time, and nobody should.  You have to treat yourself every once in a while...

You and I could be great friends if not for your outrageous views on Andy Dalton and BJGE.  :lol:

I would like to know where these farms are...I love variety and to be able to network with farmers is also nice.  You end up realizing that they all know each other.  PM if you prefer, much appreciated! 

make the farms public knowledge. don't PM! lol

Haha...I feel you.   Findlay Market is a great place for locally grown produce...most of the time it's organic as well, just not 'certified'.  Also on Wednesdays, in Northside there's a farmer's market, on Thursdays during warm weather months, there's one in College Hill.  On the weekends, there's one in West Chester from 7-12pm or so.  Warmer weather obviously there are more. 

Findlay Market's website itself has some nice info about them.

No problem!  First of all, though: http://www.greenbeandelivery.com/

Cruising around to farms & markets can be fun but it's probably not something you'd want to do every single week.  These folks deliver custom produce bins and all sorts of quality, local foods. It's pretty easy to place an order online. Most of the farms I mentioned are available through them.

Second, even if you don't live in Ohio, go here, punch in your ZIP code, & feast:

http://www.localharvest.org/

As requested:

http://reserverunfarm.com/

2835 Arrowhead Tr. Oxford, OH. 45056

They're also at the Oxford Farmer's Market every week. As are these folks (best bacon I've ever tasted btw):

Dale Filbrun Morning Sun Organic Farm

3993 St Rt 503 S.
West Alexandria, OH 45381

(937) 787-4885

http://www.bisonworld.org/

(believe Willow Stoke is their packaged-for-resale product)

20100 State Road 37
Noblesville, IN 46060

ph: (317) 214-1060

http://www.snowvillecreamery.com/

Kroger & other area stores carry them, but:

32623 State Route 143
Pomeroy, OH 45769
Phone 740.698.2340
Fax 740.698.6510
Email: info@snowvillecreamery.com

Trader's Point Creamery

http://www.tpforganics.com/

(really, really good yogurts. They also have a restaurant)
9101 Moore Road
Zionsville, Indiana 46077
(317) 733-1700

http://www.hartzlerfamilydairy.com/

(non-homogenized milk etc)

Available @ Jungle Jim's, other stores listed on the website

They also have an ice cream stand, which I now must visit.

Dean Family Farm

(free-range, heritage breeds)

10924 Smokey Row Rd.

Georgetown, OH 45121
937-378-2105

Marksbury Farm
marksburyfarm.com/
Retail: Butcher’s Shop
73 Fisher Ford Road
Garrard County, KY

Smoking Goose
(lamb bacon  and other deliciousness. behold: http://smokinggoose.com/products.html
407 N Dorman Street

Indianapolis IN 46202

317-638-MEAT

They have Whole Foods in Cincinnati? Last I checked Columbus was the only one in Ohio.

I believe you can get organic/grass fed meat through local farmers in a few locations in Ohio, but not out of any chain store.

Hell yea, there was one in Centerville right by my house. But I think Whole Foods is a rip off! Their prices are so jacked. You should see the type of people that shop there. Cracks me up. 

Hell yea, there was one in Centerville right by my house. But I think Whole Foods is a rip off! Their prices are so jacked. You should see the type of people that shop there. Cracks me up. 

They have a nice deli but otherwise.. Well, I've heard it called "Whole Paycheck"

Archived