Why Muslims Don't Eat Pork

I love chicken. I love steak but I need to slow down eating it. Seafood I die for. I love fish. I agree with Elflocko about treatment of animals does suck. They turkeys are treated was sick. They showed a documentary about that. Some dude from 60 minutes wore a camera recorder on his glasses at butterball factory. It was sad truly. And sometimes organic isn't really the way to go as they try to make us feel. You almost need to raise your own shit anymore and not be a little bitch about it like Tigris when it comes time to saluter them :lol:

Yes, the ban on pork in Islam and all of the non-kosher foods in Judaism are actually rudimentary science that was enforced by religious edict.

The thing is - they're no longer relevant.  We have refrigerators.

Re-learn history....because what you've learned thus far is incorrect.   But of course that's what happens when you only learn from resources that are already in agreement with what you want to believe. 

Deception is a tool.  The tool. 

There is a certain wisdom about not eating pork.....there is nothing health forming about it.  Will I go to hell if I eat pork like anti-God / anti-religion people want to joke about?  Obviously that's not going to be the sole determinant of "if I go to hell or not".   It's a wisdom, it's an advice to people in navigating through what we call life.  

This is but one wisdom that's given to us.  There are countless others that lead to a peaceful, successful life, healthy life.   Try to de-bunk them also.....because it'll make you seem cooler to others as God and religion in general have been ridiculed to no end.  

There is a certain wisdom about not eating pork.....there is nothing health forming about it.  Will I go to hell if I eat pork like anti-God / anti-religion people want to joke about?  Obviously that's not going to be the sole determinant of "if I go to hell or not".   It's a wisdom, it's an advice to people in navigating through what we call life.  

This is but one wisdom that's given to us.  There are countless others that lead to a peaceful, successful life, healthy life.   Try to de-bunk them also.....because it'll make you seem cooler to others as God and religion in general have been ridiculed to no end.  

As you know my thoughts on religion in general,  you also know I have a great respect for those who, whether from religion or not, live their lives in a way to better themselves and others (aka actually being a good person). 

99% of people I have met who are religious, use it as the "get out of hell" free card, or the more common, "im better than you" pat on the back they give themselves for pretending to be good christians, jews, muslims, etc.

For me, the pork thing, while there is clear health advantages to not eating it, is often used as one of those things, an extremist function to accommodate their own self serving needs to feel superior and closer to their own god.

I think this is why it is ridiculed and taken lightly. Pretty much everyone knows the health reasoning, and it being something most people grew up eating, its a tough sell that there is any real religious tie to pat themselves on the back for.

long story short, they care about as much about the truth as they do their own religion, just enough to make themselves feel good, pat themselves on the back, and feel superior to others because they are SUCH good people, and know EVERYTHING...

you and I both know your time is wasted trying to get someone to reevaluate their own knowledge and accept what they know as bullshit.

it usually takes a pretty big life loss or smack in the face with some life realities before people even consider they may not know everything..

i know it did for me, and my life goals now from 5 years ago are a complete 180....  most people never make that change, closed minded selfish bigotry is a very popular way of life..

none of that has anything really to do with bacon, though. 

Good point Go. Basically, most of us have grown a certain way and were taught what's right from wrong. To me as a muslim I grew up not eating it so I am not going to start now. Being also that it is against my religion. To each their own. I never judged people for eating it because that is part of who they are and how they grew up. And same goes for me. I remember going to a Korean party I swear when I first moved to the US back in 1990. This Korean girl in my ESL class invited me to her birthday party. So me and some Indian and Persian dudes were there and they had all this food on the table, I warned them that Koreans eat dogs. They  didn't believe me and they ate. I didn't eat shit there! Sure enough, my friend Avinash asked the girl and she said yes. DOG. I laughed my fuckin ass off. Till this day that shit kills me lol

And BTW, I love dogs and cats before all you PETA lovers get on me cause I laughed. 

As you know my thoughts on religion in general,  you also know I have a great respect for those who, whether from religion or not, live their lives in a way to better themselves and others (aka actually being a good person). 

99% of people I have met who are religious, use it as the "get out of hell" free card, or the more common, "im better than you" pat on the back they give themselves for pretending to be good christians, jews, muslims, etc.

For me, the pork thing, while there is clear health advantages to not eating it, is often used as one of those things, an extremist function to accommodate their own self serving needs to feel superior and closer to their own god.

I think this is why it is ridiculed and taken lightly. Pretty much everyone knows the health reasoning, and it being something most people grew up eating, its a tough sell that there is any real religious tie to pat themselves on the back for.

long story short, they care about as much about the truth as they do their own religion, just enough to make themselves feel good, pat themselves on the back, and feel superior to others because they are SUCH good people, and know EVERYTHING...

you and I both know your time is wasted trying to get someone to reevaluate their own knowledge and accept what they know as bullshit.

it usually takes a pretty big life loss or smack in the face with some life realities before people even consider they may not know everything..

i know it did for me, and my life goals now from 5 years ago are a complete 180....  most people never make that change, closed minded selfish bigotry is a very popular way of life..

none of that has anything really to do with bacon, though. 

I don't disagree with pretty much anything in this post.....it's unfortunate that this is the reality.   Even though it has nothing to do with bacon.  

How does one do that? ;)

Also Rumble has eaten beef bacon when he was in DC and we had breakfast at a diner here by his hotel, just no pork.

You know, where you point your finger at someone while moving the other index finger along it (like you are whittling it).

When I look up "shaving your finger at someone" on google all I get is a bunch of "answer" sites with questions about finger banging (go figure).. Anyway, on wikipedia the call it "Forefinger Rub"

Forefinger Rub — pointing one index finger at a person and rubbing the other against it — conveys the meaning "shame on you" and is usually performed when the other person has done something shameful or inappropriate.

99%?  Really?  Speaking only for protestant Christianity, my experience is just the opposite.  The VAST majority of Christians I have known are people actually trying to live their faith.  Trying to be a good and loving person.  Now, that is not to say they don't struggle with sins.  And certainly a lot of Christians struggle to separate "hate the sin love the sinner", particularly as it pertains to homosexuality.  But by far most of the Christians that I know and have known really try to live what they believe.  Some more successfully than others, but most are not blatant hypocrites.

That is not to say their are not hypocrites.  And sadly, several "televangelists" have had some very public failings.  

Don't even bring up Westboro Baptist Cult.  That group is mostly the relatives of their now dead founder, and do not reflect the vast majority of Christians.

99%?  Really?  Speaking only for protestant Christianity, my experience is just the opposite.  The VAST majority of Christians I have known are people actually trying to live their faith.  Trying to be a good and loving person.  Now, that is not to say they don't struggle with sins.  And certainly a lot of Christians struggle to separate "hate the sin love the sinner", particularly as it pertains to homosexuality.  But by far most of the Christians that I know and have known really try to live what they believe.  Some more successfully than others, but most are not blatant hypocrites.

That is not to say their are not hypocrites.  And sadly, several "televangelists" have had some very public failings.  

Don't even bring up Westboro Baptist Cult.  That group is mostly the relatives of their now dead founder, and do not reflect the vast majority of Christians.

I would tend to agree with that, but at the same time, Ryan said "who I have met" so it's hard to argue HIS experience.  I too find that many Christians, Jews, Muslims use religion to benefit....there are plenty on the other end of the spectrum as well, a large majority of Muslims, Jews and Christians I know are genuinely good hearted people who want justice in all matters, don't use religion as a crutch but as a guiding force...but that's MY experience.

I have a problem with pork because I have issues slaughtering and eating a creature that is at least as intelligent as some people I work with.  Hell, my meat intake is practically non-existent anymore because I have serious issues with how animals are treated and slaughtered.

Except for chickens, because chickens are assholes.

But even then I try to make sure they're organic\no antibiotic\blahblahblah.

No judgment or finger pointing mind you, it's just that when I changed my diet I evaluated everything about, well, everything I eat, and felt I was being a screaming hypocrite about what I consumed.  Therefore, I can no longer in good conscience eat another creature that displays a personality or empathy.

Except for chickens, because they're assholes.

But yeah, the whole religious prohibition of pork = no one knew about trichinosis...  

I dont know why but that made me laugh hysterically...

i find the red slime beef issue in the country far far more concerning than anything on that pig list.. and after the 6 months it took me to get over the fact that there are like mites or something like live in  my eyelash sockets and feed off the sleep goo from your eyes i am not too turned off by the nasty bugs in things.. they are in and on everything.. banana spiders and shit..

my red meat intake has dropped about 50% but mostly because of everything i eat WITH red meat also being extra horrible for me..

i work next to a Sprouts now, so my life is getting slightly healthier...

but bacon is so motherfucking delicious... 

Do you mean Pink slime?

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/1bsxs9/the-beefstate-governors

Archived