Sink or Swim: RGIII, Bradford, Cutler, Dalton

Same QB has no problem asking for a contract in the amount of being the face of franchise. Posters in this thread have defended his right to negotiate a deal.

There's the disconnect.

If you can't ask a 3rd year QB to win you a game at home during wildcard weekend then can't ask that same QB to burden himself with the pressure of franchise deal.

Because if you think it's bad now for Dalton look at the Reds and some of the critism their recently extended players have to address because the Reds limited their payroll. Wiat until Hobson rolls out the cap analysis and constantly refers to Dalton's 100 mil deal.

I think very few are on the "pay him what he wants" bandwagon. As you mention IF he showed the ability to carry a team that was playing poorly and pull them to victory against SD, then yes id be happy to pay him what he wants.

Right now though I wouldn't do a deal unless we are getting him for what we want.

My guess is IF he signs it will be in the 6 year 90M range.

As 1181 mentioned, when guys come out of the draft they get compares to players. It doesn't mean they are as good as that player or that they will for sure ever be, it's just a comparison.

For example, dennard being compared to Leon hall. Hill being compared to Jerome bettis. Andy dalton to drew brees.

They are comparisons in style, how good they were in college, etc.

Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. No one ever said dalton is as good as drew brees currently is or that he for sure will reach brees upside. If you think anyone did you have serious reading comprehension issues.

Those comparisons were thrown around in defense of his potential. In addition his first 3 year numbers were always held up to some HOF QB in defense of his potential despite everyone knowing that the NFL had undergone signficant changes to the way they call a game in 2011.

But whatever he's not Drew Brees. He's a slightly better Kitna.

Those comparisons were thrown around in defense of his potential. In addition his first 3 year numbers were always held up to some HOF QB in defense of his potential despite everyone knowing that the NFL had undergone signficant changes to the way they call a game in 2011.

But whatever he's not Drew Brees. He's a slightly better Kitna.

Drew brees in his 3rd year was probably a slightly worse Jon kitna.

Your argument is so poor.

Those weren't Drew Brees predictions! Those were comparisons!

When you make a comparison for a draft pick you aren't comparing the draft pick at his current form vs the experienced player at his current form. You are either comparing the draft pick at his current form to the experienced player at his form when he was drafted, or you are comparing the draft picks potential form to the experienced players current form.

This really isn't that complicated. Comparing dalton now to brees now is pointless as no one thinks they are on the same level currently.

Great so when he wins a Superbowl and is considered as good as Brees is feel free to bump this thread, until then he's no Drew Brees

You were the one trying to make it seem that any comparison to Brees was invalid.  I was simply showing you how illogical your thinking is.  But then again, everyone with sense on the board already knows that. :P

I agree but here is the thing you have to adjust your views on those players as they show what they have done in the NFL.

Example; I didnt think he was Breese, I thought he looked more like Hasselbeck, now I think he's Romo 2.0.

He's clearly not Breese right now and he may or may never be, but unitl the day comes that the comparison is legitmate it's a comparison that needs to be put to bed.

By the way, Brees wasn't Brees in year three.  I bolded that for spelling purposes! :lol:

When you make a comparison for a draft pick you aren't comparing the draft pick at his current form vs the experienced player at his current form. You are either comparing the draft pick at his current form to the experienced player at his form when he was drafted, or you are comparing the draft picks potential form to the experienced players current form.

This really isn't that complicated. Comparing dalton now to brees now is pointless as no one thinks they are on the same level currently.

Scharm can't handle complexity of any kind. 

You were the one trying to make it seem that any comparison to Brees was invalid.  I was simply showing you how illogical your thinking is.  But then again, everyone with sense on the board already knows that. :P

Good words here.

Comparison vs Predictions.

The Predictions were he could be the next Drew Brees.

Those predictions to date are wrong. As I said feel free to bump the thread if that changes.

By the way, Brees wasn't Brees in year three.  I bolded that for spelling purposes! :lol:

I dont care what year he is in, he isnt Drew Brees right now as such the comparisons are invalid until he shows otherwise.

Good words here.

Comparison vs Predictions.

The Predictions were he could be the next Drew Brees.

Those predictions to date are wrong. As I said feel free to bump the thread if that changes.

I dont care what year he is in, he isnt Drew Brees right now as such the comparisons are invalid until he shows otherwise.

Your problem isn't with us it's with ALL nfl analysts and websites that make "comparisons" of draft picks to veterans. Your bitching over the use of a word everyone uses the same way we are here.

Your problem isn't with us it's with ALL nfl analysts and websites that make "comparisons" of draft picks to veterans. Your bitching over the use of a word everyone uses the same way we are here.

No it's with both. The analysists and the people trumpeting it.

Didnt SF2 and Sparky(?) go over this argument about the defense and show the emperor had no clothes? where is that thread? it was a thing of beauty to watch.

Yeah we did.  Basically the defense gave up an 80 yard drive to start the second half then basically shut down the Chargers after than.   We were down by 4 with 6:53 left in 3rd.

By the numbers:

We received second half kickoff.  No points punt.

San Diego drove 80 yards for TD: 7 points.  SD up by 4 with 6:53 remaining in 3rd.

Andy fumbles on next drive:  Held SD to 3 points but drove well.  Down 7 with 2:04 left in 3rd.

Andy throws int which is returned to the 3 yard line.  Defense holds to a field goal.  SD 3 points.  Down 10 with 14:20 left in 4th.

Andy throws int.  Defense holds to 0 points.  Still down 10 8:13 left in 4th.

Turnover on downs after long incomplete pass on 4th and 3. SD goes nowhere and punts. Down 10 4:50 left in 4th.

Turnover on downs with 3:13 left down by 10 with no timeouts remaining.  Ballgame.  Defense puts 11 in box with no timeouts remaining, Ronny Brown breaks a 58 yard TD. 

Our first 6 offensive drives in second half resulted in 3 turnovers, 2 loss of possession on downs,  1 punt and ZERO points. 

Defense gave up a long TD drive on San Diego's first second half possession, can be called out somewhat for allowing SD to drive down for a field goal after the Andy fumble but after that they pretty much shut them down unless you want to include the end of the game Ronnie Brown TD when the outcome was already decided.

Yeah we did.  Basically the defense gave up an 80 yard drive to start the second half then basically shut down the Chargers after than.   We were down by 4 with 6:53 left in 3rd.

By the numbers:

San Diego drove 80 yards for TD: 7 points.  SD up by 4 with 6:53 remaining in 3rd.
Andy fumbles on next drive:  Held SD to 3 points but drove well.  Down 7 with 2:04 left in 3rd.
Andy throws int which is returned to the 3 yard line.  Defense holds to a field goal.  SD 3 points.  Down 10 with 14:20 left in 4th.
Turnover on downs after long incomplete pass on 4th and 3. SD goes nowhere and punts. Down 10 4:50 left in 4th.
Turnover on downs with 3:13 left down by 10 with no timeouts remaining.  Ballgame.  Defense puts 11 in box with no timeouts remaining, Ronny Brown breaks a 58 yard TD. 

Our first 6 offensive drives in second half resulted in 3 turnovers, 2 loss of possession on downs,  1 punt and ZERO points. 

Defense gave up a long TD drive on San Diego's first second half possession, can be called out somewhat for allowing SD to drive down for a field goal after the Andy fumble but after that they pretty much shut them down unless you want to include the end of the game Ronnie Brown TD when the outcome was already decided.

Well that's all good but Dalton is the QB of my favorite team so your analysis is invalid.

Your problem isn't with us. It's with a 80 something rated QB and his shitty playoff performances and whoever wrote those comparisons that you read and preached.

By the numbers:

:fistpump:

Well that's all good but Dalton is the QB of my favorite team so your analysis is invalid.

That's really what it comes down to isnt it? The T.O. "he's my quarterback" defense. Doesn't work quite as well as the Chewbacca defense though.

despite everyone knowing that the NFL had undergone signficant changes to the way they call a game in 2011.

If the numbers are just a product of a pass-happy NFL, why isn't every QB throwing for 4,000 yards and 30 TD's?

I'll give you a hint; it has something to do with how you're completely full of shit.

Archived