Title Edit: Devon Still's Daughter has Cancer.

Whoa.

I'm both shocked and pleased.

Didn't think Bilukidi did enough in the first 3 preseason games.

Looked more active and productve against the Colts but figured the level of competition would negate the performance.

As for Still, I thought Zimmer summed it up during last seasons Hard Knocks, and I figured this could be his last chance in Cincy.

Doesn't really feel like anyone beat Still out of a job, more like the Bengals got tired of waiting for something they knew wasn't coming.

In retrospect, Still never even flashed as a pro.

I heard some inklings that he was cut because they know they can hide him on PS because he won't want to move his daughter to another city. By being on the PS, they keep him in their system, he keeps his health insurance and he can spend more time with his daughter as the PS will be less time demanding than the 53 man roster.

I heard some inklings that he was cut because they know they can hide him on PS because he won't want to move his daughter to another city. By being on the PS, they keep him in their system, he keeps his health insurance and he can spend more time with his daughter as the PS will be less time demanding than the 53 man roster.

That's awesome! i wish the best for him and his little girl! 

We had to take my daughter to Children's the first week of her life and every single day I was there, I couldn't believe the lengths those people go to in order to help the patients and the parents make it through the terrible time in their lives.

Those people are really doing God's work day in and day out.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/contracts/2014/8/31/6090289/bengals-re-sign-devon-still-to-the-practice-squad

Bengals re-sign Devon Still to the practice squad

By Josh Kirkendall  @Josh_Kirkendall on Aug 31 2014, 1:36p 5 

20140726_tcb_db4_048.JPG.0_standard_709.
Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis kept the door open for Still on the practice squad during a conference call on Saturday. Cincinnati came through for their former second-rounder on Sunday.

Former second-round pick Devon Still was axed by Cincinnati during their final rounds of roster cuts on Saturday. Still cleared waivers on Sunday and now he'll be joining the Cincinnati Bengals practice squad, according to NFL Insider Rand Getlin

It would have been an impossible season for Still, regardless. Several months ago, he nearly retired from football when he discovered that his four-year old daughter Leah, has stage four cancer called neuroblastoma.

"When I found out, I told my family I was done. Done. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my daughter while she's going through this," said Still. "She's fighting for her life. Sports is not more important than me being there while my daughter is fighting for her life."

If the team signed Still to a minimum contract, he'll earn $6,300/week on the practice squad -- though they could have signed him to significantly more to keep him in Cincinnati. Understandably, he isn't focused on football but the Bengals clearly want to keep investing in Still when he's ready. Now he and his family will be insured for continued treatment and Still won't have to travel with the team during away games. It's a win-win for the time being.

talent wise he is. mentally he's not focused and i dont think anyone on earth could blame him or expect him to be. he had considered retiring and the team talked him out of it prior to training camp.

I thought his agent did that telling him to stay for the insurance

I thought his agent did that telling him to stay for the insurance

i'm sure he was part of it...that is a big part of the agents job. I do know that Marvin and Mike Brown were in his ear about not retiring. Financially it would be bad. The medical bills would have wiped out his career earnings and sitting out would pretty much end any chance of returning a year or two later. Now he can hang around, make solid money and medical bills will be covered.

Then if she beats the cancer (hopefully) he can become fully invested again or if she ends up passing away (hope this doesnt happen) he can at least have that "family" of the locker room to help him cope and not feel so alone and then wouldn't have ended his chance of continuing his career. While it sounds selfish, he does have to worry about himself and his future too. It is just a shitty situation to be in and I feel so bad for anyone who has to balance between themselves and the illness of loved ones because it is a no win situation.

Archived