How Close Are We to the Superbowl?

Neither the Stealers nor Ravens are in cap trouble. They usually spend close to the cap each season but have plenty of options for being in compliance for 2015. It's generally thought that Polamalu, Keisel, Taylor, and perhaps Allen won't be back for 2015. They'll need to do an extension with Roethlisberger but that will provide an opportunity for extra cap room. They do need to find some better DBs but will have cap space available to spend and will likely draft a DB or two early. 

The Ravens will suffer some for the Rice contract and need to give Forsett a new deal. But they have added young talent to their defense. They'll probably be looking for DBs and pass catchers but aren't in bad shape at all.

The Bengals remain a head coach and QB away from the Superbowl and are thus arguably further than the Browns who certainly need a QB but might have their coach.

I don't think even a Pittsburgh or Baltimore homer could have painted a rosier picture. Your faith in Pettine is staggering considering his success this season. Good stuff.

Bullshit. The Ravens are about to be in cap hell thanks to Flacco and Rice, and who are their up and coming stars? Can't name any because they have none.
The Stealers are OLD and also in cap trouble, though in better shape than Baltimore.
The Bengals are the team with the widest window and brightest future in this division.
Playing a weaker schedule next year the Bengals will easily win the division.

This is pretty much all wrong. Next year is the last cheap season on Flacco's contract but it lets them absorb the second half of the dead money hit from Rice. The Ravens have some good players who are in the first half of their careers. They can also attract free agents without overpaying.

The Steelers are old (but are about to get younger) but not in cap trouble and are in better cap shape than the Ravens.

The Bengals window is closing. Whitworth is near the end. Same with Hall, Jones, and Nelson. We are weak at LB and have let the D-line go from a strength to a weakness. We also have a lame duck coach who certainly isn't going to elevate his craft at this late juncture and a below average QB.

The Bengals will benefit from their 3rd place finish but we're also facing 2 tougher divisions next year than this year so we're a longer shot for a wild card spot.

I don't think even a Pittsburgh or Baltimore homer could have painted a rosier picture. Your faith in Pettine is staggering considering his success this season. Good stuff.

Pettine in 2014 did a comparable job to Marvin in 2003. The Browns need to find a QB still and upgrade their receiving corps but they are basically 1 player away from playoff contention. 

Rumor is cap is going up 10 mil. Yeah cut or rework a few players to include Big Jen. Here is what I can tell you, in the past 10 years Pittspuke has played in 3 Super Bowls winning 2. Every year they seem to have cap issues while we have chests full of gold waiting for the perfect player. We win nothing in the post season.

This I have to agree with.

Rumor is cap is going up 10 mil. Yeah cut or rework a few players to include Big Jen. Here is what I can tell you, in the past 10 years Pittspuke has played in 3 Super Bowls winning 2. Every year they seem to have cap issues while we have chests full of gold waiting for the perfect player. We win nothing in the post season.

I get what your saying but the question is "How close are we to the Superbowl"?  

The cap is just part of the equation.  Just because team A and team B spend up to the cap limit doesn't guarantee

anything.  

To say Pittsburgh and Baltimore are on the upswing and the Bengals are on the downswing is laughable.

This is my opinion, take it or leave it, doesn't really matter to me but the Bengals chances are just as good

as the Steelers and Ravens.  Were talking about next year right?  So who cares about the past?  It's over.

To put it in your words, here is what I can tell you.  Regardless if the cap goes up $10 million or not.  Even if it

does, it does for all teams.  Bengals, Ravens and Steelers all went to the playoffs.  Bengals and Steelers got

bounced in the first round and the Ravens got bounced in the 2nd round.  

Steelers have $2.5 million in cap space.  Ravens $300,000 and Bengals $28,000,000.  We could cut guys and

save even more.  Ravens and Steelers cut guys and they lose more (dead money).  They have to hope they 

can rework contracts to get more cap space.  And who knows if those said players are willing to take a pay

cut?  They may force their teams hands and say "eat shit. release me" and create another hole to fill and more

dead money putting them in even bigger trouble cap wise, ie: no money to spend to fill the hole.

Going into 2015, I'd rather be in the Bengals shoes as opposed to either the Steelers or Ravens shoes.  

I get what your saying but the question is "How close are we to the Superbowl"?  

The cap is just part of the equation.  Just because team A and team B spend up to the cap limit doesn't guarantee
anything.  

To say Pittsburgh and Baltimore are on the upswing and the Bengals are on the downswing is laughable.

This is my opinion, take it or leave it, doesn't really matter to me but the Bengals chances are just as good
as the Steelers and Ravens.  Were talking about next year right?  So who cares about the past?  It's over.

To put it in your words, here is what I can tell you.  Regardless if the cap goes up $10 million or not.  Even if it
does, it does for all teams.  Bengals, Ravens and Steelers all went to the playoffs.  Bengals and Steelers got
bounced in the first round and the Ravens got bounced in the 2nd round.  

Steelers have $2.5 million in cap space.  Ravens $300,000 and Bengals $28,000,000.  We could cut guys and
save even more.  Ravens and Steelers cut guys and they lose more (dead money).  They have to hope they 
can rework contracts to get more cap space.  And who knows if those said players are willing to take a pay
cut?  They may force their teams hands and say "eat shit. release me" and create another hole to fill and more
dead money putting them in even bigger trouble cap wise, ie: no money to spend to fill the hole.

Going into 2015, I'd rather be in the Bengals shoes as opposed to either the Steelers or Ravens shoes.  

Yet you continue to think the Bengals will use a large portion of that cap money to IMPROVE the team. Nope, most actually spent will go to resign current players and the remaining saved for "next" year.

Yet you continue to think the Bengals will use a large portion of that cap money to IMPROVE the team. Nope, most actually spent will go to resign current players and the remaining saved for "next" year.

That is your opinion.  It remains to be seen.  Has it been that way in the past?  Yep.  Do you know for a fact

they won't spend any in FA this year?  Nope, so for now it's just an opinion.

And I just stated the cap room amount.  I didn't say they would spend a big chunk on a top tier FA.

So don't try and put words in my mouth lol :)  

The analysis is a mixed bag.

It claims the Bengals need to add 8 above average players to be considered a Super Bowl team.

By comparison the Browns are only 5 players away, yet have more than twice as many bad players.

Regardless, where do the 8 missing players come from?

First place to look is their own roster. Due to injury Bengals only had 28 players get enough snaps to qualify. By comparison Steelers and Brows had 35. Bengals shouldn't expect every injured player to return to previous form, but by the same token it's silly to think the Bengals don't get closer to the Super Bowl just by getting several of their best players back.

Next, look to replace the bad players on the roster. Replacing Lamur should be easy enough if the Bengals choose to do so, but I'm not convinced they'll even try. As for the others, Geathers and Peko are aging fading players who could be easily replaced with upgrades without costing a penny of dead money.

Also, scan the list of Bengal players deemed average and using free agency and the draft replace the ones who have no chance to become above average. Marshall Newhouse for just one example. Brandon Tate for another.

That is your opinion.  It remains to be seen.  Has it been that way in the past?  Yep.  Do you know for a fact
they won't spend any in FA this year?  Nope, so for now it's just an opinion.

And I just stated the cap room amount.  I didn't say they would spend a big chunk on a top tier FA.
So don't try and put words in my mouth lol :)  

I am sorry but years upon years of evidence far out weigh unicorns and rainbows.

I am sorry but years upon years of evidence far out weigh unicorns and rainbows.

Never know.  Things change, people change.  I'll give you a quick example.

Awhile back there use to be this guy on here that came over from mikebrownsucks.com

to troll this place.  Now he's a moderator with over 10,000 post.  You may know the guy ;)   

Never know.  Things change, people change.  I'll give you a quick example.

Awhile back there use to be this guy on here that came over from mikebrownsucks.com
to troll this place.  Now he's a moderator with over 10,000 post.  You may know the guy ;)   

I bet that douche would have never done it if it had cost him cap space.

It claims the Bengals need to add 8 above average players to be considered a Super Bowl team.

By comparison the Browns are only 5 players away, yet have more than twice as many bad players.

Regardless, where do the 8 missing players come from?

First place to look is their own roster. Due to injury Bengals only had 28 players get enough snaps to qualify. By comparison Stealers and Brows had 35. Bengals shouldn't expect every injured player to return to previous form, but by the same token it's silly to think the Bengals don't get closer to the Super Bowl just by getting several of their best players back.

Next, look to replace the bad players on the roster. Replacing Lamur should be easy enough if the Bengals choose to do so, but I'm not convinced they'll even try. As for the others, Geathers and Peko are aging fading players who could be easily replaced with upgrades without costing a penny of dead money.

Also, scan the list of Bengal players deemed average and using free agency and the draft replace the ones who have no chance to become above average. Marshall Newhouse for just one example. Brandon Tate for another.

Agreed.  I found it interesting that the article had the other three AFCN "closer" to the SB than us.  I don't think the Browns are bad, but we're clearly the better team at this point.  I think I heard Josh Gordon failed another drug test yesterday.  Possible for alcohol, but I guess his terms of reinstatement said he can't drink?

With MJ, Burfict (hopefully) and Efiert coming back healthy and staying healthy that will be a huge boost for us.  Also so we really need Geno to be a football player.  He doesn't need to be the old Geno, but if he can give us 80-85% of that the defense will be much better.  

Translation then is the analysis isn't worth shit.

Agreed.  I found it interesting that the article had the other three AFCN "closer" to the SB than us.  

Two familiar themes at work here.

First, injuries prevented enough players from reaching the number of snaps needed to quailfy.

Second, Bengal star players didn't play like star players and the rankings reflected that.

Ravens have 12 above average players, including two who are considered elite.

Bengals only have 4 above average players, and one of them is AJ Green, a player who slipped from the ranks of the elite.

I honestly think this version of good Bengals team is done. 4 year run ain't bad. Defense is going downhill, Burfict is done at worst, marginal starter at best. The rest of the younger guys are all horribly average at best.

Offense is 2 dimensional,,,stop running game, cover AJ and make Andy Dalton beat you...which he cant.

Unless we roll the dice in FA, we are on the way back down.

I think you are correct.

I honestly think this version of good Bengals team is done. 4 year run ain't bad. Defense is going downhill, Burfict is done at worst, marginal starter at best. The rest of the younger guys are all horribly average at best.

Offense is 2 dimensional,,,stop running game, cover AJ and make Andy Dalton beat you...which he cant.

Unless we roll the dice in FA, we are on the way back down.

I disagree. The Ravens and Stealers are on the upswing, we are not. I don't see us going any better than .500 in the division. We simply won't win enough games for a wild card spot and we won't win the division.

9 wins didn't get any team a wild card birth this year.

Our defense is getting old and going downhill. Start telling me the young guys who are going to step up...you cant.

Ravens and Stealers will both be better than last year, we wont. The mythical players on offense some keep referring to are just that...myths like Kenny Irons, Jerome Simpson and Chase Coffman.

Yeah well keep pretending our defense will be better next year. I don't see it.

Also, let's pretend Tyler Eifert will be way better than Gresham (who will be gone) and the Andre Smith and Whitworth will be better going forward.

Oh and Marvin Jones a year removed from football will fit right into Hue's offense.

I don't see the team being better, borderline Wildcard team just like last year.

My point is our best and most reliable players on defense are getting old. That would be Hall, Jones and Newman. Atkins might return to form, I seriously doubt Burfict will. Peko and Rey M are not getting better. I can't envision our defense being better next year.

We all know AJ and Hill are players, the rest of the skill positions are question marks besides Sanu who ghosted on us the second half.

Oh fear not, both teams will cut the players necessary to free up cap space and use that money to get better. Both teams are costantly swinging for the fences as evidenced by their multiple AFC Championships and Super Bowl appearances and wins.

I am sure by September, we will once again be in excellent cap shape having 8 figures in space available for a rainy day.

There is NOTHING impressive about having a lot of cap space if you are not winning in the post season.

141007_CBOX_Comics-MaybeEverythingIsntHo

Archived