2021 Free Agents Full List and Tracker

So far we have a 1 year wonder who was ranked lower than Lawson and an injured CB rated lower than WJIII. 

So far, so good. We have saved more money for the Family. 

As noted, Dufus Tobin is not sitting on his hand, but he is sitting on his ass. They were not even close to the top guards so what makes us think they will be close to a better RT? I can almost hear Toy Blackburn whining like he did after the Hart signing "What else were we supposed to do"?

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Whoever Bengal Sans is sure likes Awuzie. But even if you average his last 3 years, when he was the starter, it's not very impressive. 

Looks like he is OK.  Most likely depends upon what he is asked to do.  Downgrade from Jackson.  I would have to be in the camp that thinks Lawson is overrated.  He's a guy that makes you go "wow," but at the end of the day he doesn't get results, he gets injured.  The Hendrickson deal is at least a wash, and maybe an upgrade.

11 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

And yet Lawson was rated better than Hendrickson at both run defense and pass rushing. While playing more snaps.

Hendrickson had more sacks but a lot of that seems to be attributed to the Saints CBs maintaining coverage longer than the Bengals motley crew. 

Ratings can be wrong.  Hard to quantify everything.  How do you quatify overrunning the play, losing contain, etc?  I've seen tons of that from Lawson.  I'm assuming Hendrickson is better at that, but I don't know for sure.  Just not wild about Lawson's game.  If you watch him it's plain to see he is the best "almost" pass rusher you'll ever see.  It's not bad luck.  It's bad instincts, positioning, etc.  Give me a guy who keeps contain, stops the run, and cashes in on his opportunities even if they are fewer.

Sign me up as a guy that will take actual sacks over almost sacks any day of the week.

As for the CB's...Jackson is better in a man coverage scheme and the new guy is better in a zone coverage scheme. Clearly the team prefers the latter. 

1 minute ago, spicoli said:

Sign me up as a guy that will take actual sacks over almost sacks any day of the week.

As for the CB's...Jackson is better in a man coverage scheme and the new guy is better in a zone coverage scheme. Clearly the team prefers the latter. 

Or clearly the Bengals won't pay Jackson what he wants, or Jackson has seen enough of the organization.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Ratings can be wrong.  Hard to quantify everything.  How do you quatify overrunning the play, losing contain, etc?  I've seen tons of that from Lawson.  I'm assuming Hendrickson is better at that, but I don't know for sure.  Just not wild about Lawson's game.  If you watch him it's plain to see he is the best "almost" pass rusher you'll ever see.  It's not bad luck.  It's bad instincts, positioning, etc.

Quite true. Especially the qualitative aspect of player evaluation. But do keep in mind that the qualitative analysis is what the scouts and coaches do and as a general rule, this team lags badly in this regard. Which is why to me a known player may serve better than an unknown player.  

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

And if I recall, Trey Waynes was much better at man coverage than zone so what is the system clueless Lou is running?

2 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Quite true. Especially the qualitative aspect of player evaluation. But do keep in mind that the qualitative analysis is what the scouts and coaches do and as a general rule, this team lags badly in this regard. Which is why to me a known player may serve better than an unknown player.  

Is there any topic you can't turn back into "The Brown family sucks?"  I get that the franchise has a poor history and that is part of the issue, but your obsession is insane.  It's old, man.  Get a new shtick. 

7 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Or clearly the Bengals won't pay Jackson what he wants, or Jackson has seen enough of the organization.

I don’t think they ever had any intention in bringing him back to be honest. 

10 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Wayne’s is better suited to play in a zone scheme. 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-minnesota-vikings-are-reportedly-shopping-cb-trae-waynes

As underwhelming as those numbers are at first glance, a move away to a new, man-heavy scheme may very well do Waynes some good, as he's performed markedly better from his targets in man coverage than he has from his targets in zone coverage (which Minnesota ran on over 55.0% of their pass-defense snaps last year). In man coverage, Waynes has allowed a 55.6% catch rate and a passer rating of 68.0 en route to a 70.5 coverage grade. From a zone shell, Waynes has allowed a 63.6% catch rate and a 97.8 passer rating en route to a 53.7 coverage grade.

11 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Is there any topic you can't turn back into "The Brown family sucks?"  I get that the franchise has a poor history and that is part of the issue, but your obsession is insane.  It's old, man.  Get a new shtick. 

It is current, not old. The team has won 6 games in two years with the 'new culture' coach, and got the rookie star QB killed by complete incompetence. I will lose the shtick when the team actually changes. 

6 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-minnesota-vikings-are-reportedly-shopping-cb-trae-waynes

As underwhelming as those numbers are at first glance, a move away to a new, man-heavy scheme may very well do Waynes some good, as he's performed markedly better from his targets in man coverage than he has from his targets in zone coverage (which Minnesota ran on over 55.0% of their pass-defense snaps last year). In man coverage, Waynes has allowed a 55.6% catch rate and a passer rating of 68.0 en route to a 70.5 coverage grade. From a zone shell, Waynes has allowed a 63.6% catch rate and a 97.8 passer rating en route to a 53.7 coverage grade.

Good stuff..

I like it when you Inform rather than 

Whine...

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Good stuff..

I like it when you Inform rather than 

Whine...

Duly noted. The confusing thing about DC Lou is we cannot even see what kind of system he is trying to run. Then you can end up with a mix of players that dont all work best in the same way. Without whining I think it was a huge mistake not replacing the DC after this past season. The OL will be helped by better coaching and the D could have been as well. 

32 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Duly noted. The confusing thing about DC Lou is we cannot even see what kind of system he is trying to run. Then you can end up with a mix of players that dont all work best in the same way. Without whining I think it was a huge mistake not replacing the DC after this past season. The OL will be helped by better coaching and the D could have been as well. 

I mean not for nothing but the DC didn’t exactly have a bunch of talent to work with up front either. Guys were coming in off the street and playing significant minutes on the DL the following week and that was seemingly happening on a weekly basis. There are only so many injuries a team can take at one position group and still have any modicum of success....especially if it’s your DL.

Archived