I feel bad for Sample with all the vitriol he gets due to where he was drafted, like it’s somehow his fault. I don’t know if anyone has paid attention but the kid has actually turned out to be a very solid player.
You don’t necessarily need 2nd round picks to turn into superstars, you really just need them to be dependable starters year in and year out. Sample has a real shot of being just that, IMO. He will have earned that 2nd round selection if he does.  Just my 2 cents. 

39 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I feel bad for Sample with all the vitriol he gets due to where he was drafted, like it’s somehow his fault. I don’t know if anyone has paid attention but the kid has actually turned out to be a very solid player.
You don’t necessarily need 2nd round picks to turn into superstars, you really just need them to be dependable starters year in and year out. Sample has a real shot of being just that, IMO. He will have earned that 2nd round selection if he does.  Just my 2 cents. 

Did we not trade up to get him? Can't recall. Regardless, if in hindsight it found that he was a 'reach' this would be due to inferior scouting and not because we 'reached' on draft day. There is a difference. 

A team with poor scouting will essentially reach for most of its picks. 

I was the one who invoked the comparison to Munoz.  It's not a fair one, but that wasn't why I used his name.

Both Sewell and Chase have been described as "generational talents" depending upon who you listen to.  I asked if people wanted Munoz or Green, the two Bengals best at OL and WR.  (IMO)  Just like QB is a more valuable position, I believe LT is more valuable than WR. 

In reality both Sewell and Chase do have "dings" in my opinion.  Sewell's arms are a little short and Chase is only 6 feet tall.  To say with authority Chase is the BPA is silly.  He probably is for some, but not others.  Who knows what the Bengals think?  It is still my opinion that taking a highly touted OT is of more value than a highly touted WR.  Throw in need and it's a no brainer to me. 

4 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I was the one who invoked the comparison to Munoz.  It's not a fair one, but that wasn't why I used his name.

Both Sewell and Chase have been described as "generational talents" depending upon who you listen to.  I asked if people wanted Munoz or Green, the two Bengals best at OL and WR.  (IMO)  Just like QB is a more valuable position, I believe LT is more valuable than WR. 

In reality both Sewell and Chase do have "dings" in my opinion.  Sewell's arms are a little short and Chase is only 6 feet tall.  To say with authority Chase is the BPA is silly.  He probably is for some, but not others.  Who knows what the Bengals think?  It is still my opinion that taking a highly touted OT is of more value than a highly touted WR.  Throw in need and it's a no brainer to me. 

LT 100% is more important than WR. That's not in question.

What is in question is if we believe Jonah Williams will be the future at LT.

Edit: However to be clear.... WR is more important than RT

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

How many big boards have Sewell rated over Chase?

BPA is not the best way to do things?

I mean did you not watch this team draft in the 90s reaching for positions of need with guys that were not that talented?

If QB was BPA would the Bengals take him?  No.  Did the Patriots take a QB over the past 20 years if he was BPA in the first round?  Hell, no.  Shut up, Charlie Weiss you overrated jackass. 

Team need is a factor, especially when guys are close.  It's not a reach when guys are rated within a few spots of each other like Chase and Sewell will be on most every board.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

After his first two season that is a big question mark. 

If the Bengals take Sewell and Williams has a great year you have options.  Sewell could stay at guard or move to RT and they could let Reiff walk.  Save some money to use at another position of need in FA.  All good problems to have. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

If QB was BPA would the Bengals take him?  No.  Did the Patriots take a QB over the past 20 years if he was BPA in the first round?  Hell, no.  Shut up, Charlie Weiss you overrated jackass. 

Team need is a factor, especially when guys are close.  It's not a reach when guys are rated within a few spots of each other like Chase and Sewell will be on most every board.

Dude, I did say that if prospects are close all teams go for need - every team does this. Drafting for Dummies. And if you have a QB or you are already overloaded at one position you dismiss that position for sure. Conversly, because this team thought it had a good QB in Dalton, it missed on several BPA QB's that would have improved the position. It works both ways

16 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

A team with poor scouting will essentially reach for most of its picks

I think they just thought they were getting a really solid starting TE...which is exactly what they got. He doesn’t have the big receiving numbers because they’re always forced to use him as an extra lineman but there’s still time for that. He should be able to get out and run more routes with Uzamah back and healthy since he’s a solid blocker as well. 

1 minute ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Dude, I did say that if prospects are close all teams go for need - every team does this. Drafting for Dummies. And if you have a QB or you are already overloaded at one position you dismiss that position for sure. Conversly, because this team thought it had a good QB in Dalton, it missed on several BPA QB's that would have improved the position. It works both ways

I wasn't responding to you, Dude.

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Edit: However to be clear.... WR is more important than RT

Regardless of what ZT says right now IF thet draft Sewell he could slot at LT and move Williams to LG..

Thats a huge upgrade on the blindside and oline as a whole..

Ive beat this horse enough..

Im on the side of giving JB Comfort in the pocket to do his magic and make Any receiver they draft show out...

20 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

So YOU were the one that compared Sewell to Munoz..

Good call..😊

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

That is from 2015.  I think the advent of TE as a primary weapon probably moved that position up a few slots.   Having a Kelce type TE is a huge advantage and they are rare. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

That is from 2015.  I think the advent of TE as a primary weapon probably moved that position up a few slots.   Having a Kelce type TE is a huge advantage and they are rare. 

Don't disagree. Why I don't completely hate Hobson's mock.

Archived