2023 Ring Of Honor Nominees

2023 Ring of Honor Nominees (pick 2)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. 2023 Ring of Honor Nominees (pick 2)

• Jim Breech
    • James Brooks
    • Cris Collinsworth
    • Corey Dillon
    • Boomer Esiason
    • David Fulcher
    • Chad Johnson
    • Tim Krumrie
    • Dave Lapham
    • Max Montoya
    • Lemar Parrish
    • Bob Trumpy
    • Reggie Williams

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/18/2023 at 03:15 AM

"The Bengals will induct the 2023 Ring of Honor class during a primetime Monday Night Football game on Sept. 25 against the Los Angeles Rams.

The Bengals Ring of Honor recognizes former players, coaches and individuals who have played a significant role in the franchise's history and tradition.

Voting for the Ring of Honor took place from May 22 – June 11. The ballot featured 13 nominees. The two former players who received the most votes will be announced next week."

• Upvote 1

I don't think that matters as much as y'all think.  Thursday last time was an early season national game. The Rams this time is an early season national game.

Every dude on the nomination list can make a Thursday or a Monday night.  Every single one of them.

BTW - STHs need to monitor their email.  Last year the team held a reception the night before the game - Wednesday - for the honorees.

With the event on Monday, I expect the reception will be on Saturday this time. It wasn't free, but it was very cool and I recommend going if you can.

Adding:  It was $60 each.  Came with free food - there were 4-6 stations serving an assortment of grub including tacos, BBQ, a carving station - plus 2-3 dessert stations.  No limit other than what you could carry, and could make as many trips as you liked.  Also included a couple of drink coupons for beer or wine, plus a cash bar for exotic beers or mixed drinks.  Got to meet the enshrinees plus many other Bengal legends.  Willie signed my White Bengal mini helmet.  Was held in the East Atrium and there were maybe 200-300 attendees IIRC.  

Also Adding:  The emailed announcement and invitation went out about a week and a half before the event.  If that's the MO, expect it mid-September from your ST Account Rep.

• Upvote 1

Cris Collinsworth was in the booth when they honored Bengal veterans on the field for some reason several years ago.

He went down from the booth, threw a jersey over his shirt and tie and appeared on the field for the recognition and honor.

Nice round of applause from the crowd.

Back in the booth after the half time recognition.

Moot point.  He won't be getting it this time around.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Cris Collinsworth was in the booth when they honored Bengal veterans on the field for some reason several years ago.

He went down from the booth, threw a jersey over his shirt and tie and appeared on the field for the recognition and honor.

Nice round of applause from the crowd.

Back in the booth after the half time recognition.

Moot point.  He won't be getting it this time around.

I believe that was the 50th season celebration.  They recognized many players each week - likely they included Collinsworth on the week he was working the Bengals game, because the mix of players introduced at each game was quite random.  

• Upvote 2

Go-Bengals says Krumrie and Esiason. That's also how my/our STH account voted after polling all four households.

We'll find out tomorrow what the voters said.

If it matters any, I would prefer that starting next year, only ONE of the two spots were decided by popular vote, with the team themselves making the other choice.  My reason is simple - recency bias.  Though limiting votes to STH's is absolutely a good thing, it is still true that players like Chad and AJ, and even Timmy and Reggie, will always be "fresher in mind" than Lap, Trumpy or Lemar.  Players like Boomer and Collinsworth also have that advantage due to their visibility in media.  There are few who are voting who have direct memories of the Old Guard, and I believe that creates a bias against them.  By allowing the team to designate one, and let the popular vote select the other, that bias can be at least partially overcome.

• Upvote 2

Having seen Norman play many games over the years in-person—from rookie year until the final Fun Ride of ‘97–he always stirred a mixture of “wow” and “whatever”. 

His first few seasons, he couldn’t hit his ass with either hand…alternating from Chapman fastballs when the receiver was 10 yards away, to floaters that floated but landed no where near the intended target. Sam refocused him, and ‘86–his finest season in stripes in my humble opinion—he was a dynamo. ‘88 was wonderful, but he started to tail off dramatically until his dispatch to NYJ. The second half of ‘97 was almost ‘86-like—and one of my favorite half years of the Lost Decade. 

All-told: he was an overall very good QB, and a magnificent leader. Without a lot of alternatives on the QB side, he probably should be on the ROH. Whether it should be this early can be debated also. 

• Like 1

I do agree that both of them belong in any Bengals ROH ... but I guess the "purist" in me believes that their should be a chronological order based on generation. 

I would have liked to see some of the older guys go in first, as with a continued popularity vote, it will only get more difficult for them to ever get in, as the ones who saw them play become less and less a % of the voters. 

With all that said, Ocho has been a de-facto Ambassador for the Bengals since retiring and nobody deserves this honor more perhaps from a personal standpoint, as repayment from the franchise for all of his loyalty to the team and city. I am very happy for him, as he is the inverse of bitter ass quitter Carson - who never deserves to be in the ROH.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It is easy to see why these 2 won a popular vote though as they are the most "visible" of the candidates. They are both in the public eye and seen as "Bengals" by default everywhere they go.

If this is any indication of future nominees, look for it to heavily slant towards offensive guys who scored touchdowns and big personalities who stayed in the media or limelight after retirement. Guards, Nose Tackles, and guys who did not show up in the stat sheet or don't have a public following now are going to find it hard to compete under this criteria. 

I also think after 2 more cycles of 2 guys per year, they should switch to 1 inductee per year ... as eventually you will have too many in the ROH, and it will be less a 'Ring' and more of a 'Roster'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1