OL Offseason 2023

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel. 

I’m thinking 6 spots are near locks as of right now (Karras, Cappa, Volson, Brown, Jonah, Carman).  The remaining 3-4 spots are going to include at least one guard and one center.  If I had to guess, I’d say Scharping, Ford, and Hill are the most likely to make it, leaving Adeniji, D’ante Smith, and Ben Brown as possible PS additions.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Collins.  I don’t know that Week 1 is realistic, but I also don’t know that missing 6 games minimum on PUP will be the case either.  Maybe he makes the roster and makes his debut in October in Week 4 against the Titans.  The news has mostly been positive to this point about his rehab.  Hopefully he’ll be back sooner than later and I expect him to be needed at some point.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I’m thinking 6 spots are near locks as of right now (Karras, Cappa, Volson, Brown, Jonah, Carman).  The remaining 3-4 spots are going to include at least one guard and one center.  If I had to guess, I’d say Scharping, Ford, and Hill are the most likely to make it, leaving Adeniji, D’ante Smith, and Ben Brown as possible PS additions.  It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Collins.  I don’t know that Week 1 is realistic, but I also don’t know that missing 6 games minimum on PUP will be the case either.  Maybe he makes the roster and makes his debut in October in Week 4 against the Titans.  The news has mostly been positive to this point about his rehab.  Hopefully he’ll be back sooner than later and I expect him to be needed at some point.  

I think that's likely and will be interesting to see who gets bumped for Collins.

On 6/22/2023 at 6:53 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

Ford is on the roster bubble.  I won’t be shocked either way if he makes it or not.  I think his ability to potentially play OG might help him and put Scharping off the roster. 

On 6/22/2023 at 8:14 PM, Jamie_B said:

Pretty much exactly how I feel. 

I agree and IMHO both may be on or end up on the bubble along with possible others if...

Well, this is what I was thinking/inferring in another post about seeing other teams' late camp

cuts or trying to slide someone under the radar.  Isn't that how we got Sharping last year?

Depends on who shows up on the late waiver wire and what the Begals brain trust (in whom I trust)

thinks of them vs our bubble babies.

On 6/24/2023 at 12:05 AM, T-Dub said:

May depend on how the replacement RT looks. If they're any good maybe they play it safe and PUP Collins. Or even release him if he's healthy and the other dudes just play better.

Still not sold on Collins myself.

They were clearly better with Collins at RT last year.  Yes he sucked early.  I think that can be attributed to missing most of training camp with a back injury and the caliber of competition he faced early on (Watt, Parsons, Ravens).  I’m not sold that he’ll be able to go Week 1, but we’re going to need as much depth as possible and that includes Jonah and Collins.  I think you’d agree that we beat KC if we’d had both of them in January.  

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

They were clearly better with Collins at RT last year.  Yes he sucked early.  I think that can be attributed to missing most of training camp with a back injury and the caliber of competition he faced early on (Watt, Parsons, Ravens).  I’m not sold that he’ll be able to go Week 1, but we’re going to need as much depth as possible and that includes Jonah and Collins.  I think you’d agree that we beat KC if we’d had both of them in January.  

Possibly just one of them..  Both of them healthy for an entire season would be fantastic.  I do wish we weren't counting on that so much.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Possibly just one of them..  Both of them healthy for an entire season would be fantastic.  I do wish we weren't counting on that so much.

Hoping both may get them thru 17 games is.....iffy..

They're going with Jonah and hoping Carman has a good preseason for depth as the thinking is Collins wont cut it and  release him for  cap space .

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The whole O Line was bad early because for some bizarre reason, they did not practice together as a unit

until the season opener, if I recall correctly.

7 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hoping both may get them thru 17 games is.....iffy..

They're going with Jonah and hoping Carman has a good preseason for depth as the thinking is Collins wont cut it and  release him for  cap space .

The biggest problem for Collins last year was his bad back. By his own account the back feels better than ever since he started his knee rehab, If his knee continues to improve at its current rate, at some point in the season Collins really be an impact lineman. Especially when you remember that the downhill/gap style they morphed to near the middle of the season fits his skill set much better than the outside zone scheme they had been using before that.

2 hours ago, dex said:

The biggest problem for Collins last year was his bad back. By his own account the back feels better than ever since he started his knee rehab, If his knee continues to improve at its current rate, at some point in the season Collins really be an impact lineman. Especially when you remember that the downhill/gap style they morphed to near the middle of the season fits his skill set much better than the outside zone scheme they had been using before that.

He's had a string of years of bad luck with injuries.

I remember the Cowboinks fans laughing when we picked him up.

My hope now is we can get a decent year at ORT between him and Jonah

and go all in in. the 2024 draft for the next Willie Anderson or Moon Pie Wilson.

Archived