OL Offseason 2023

1 hour ago, Griever said:

They have the Browns as 2nd best in the league, the Ravens as 4th best and the Stealers as 12th overall. Titans were ranked last. Chiefs are 3rd in their rankings and I'm not sure they are that much better than the Bengals with us stealing their best tackle. 

Seems to me like Jonah is walking back, covering his ass or... is sincerer (hopefully)

The ol' "It was all a big misunderstanding".  Mkay...

Now it is like he was butt hurt now about the move as much as the way it was communicated to him.  Mkay...

Now it is loves the team, coach and Mike Browns nut sack and is all ready to give it a go at ORT.

Fine.  Knock 'em dead, Jonah.  Best of luck and all that.

I still have zero confidence in Flounder Carman.

More pumped to see the undrafted free agent 6'7" 328 lb Jaxson Kirkland than watching Flounder flounder.

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Seems to me like Jonah is walking back, covering his ass or... is sincerer (hopefully)

The ol' "It was all a big misunderstanding".  Mkay...

Now it is like he was butt hurt now about the move as much as the way it was communicated to him.  Mkay...

Now it is loves the team, coach and Mike Browns nut sack and is all ready to give it a go at ORT.

Fine.  Knock 'em dead, Jonah.  Best of luck and all that.

I still have zero confidence in Flounder Carman.

More pumped to see the undrafted free agent 6'7" 328 lb Jaxson Kirkland than watching Flounder flounder.

I have more faith in Flounder at RT than Jonah honestly but at least he showed up

38 minutes ago, Griever said:

This will look a lot more reasonable when one of the spare OT's comes off the books.. or maybe returns on a backup-level contract, depending. Even with a potential draft replacement that should be at least $10M saved.

Isn't the best case scenario.....Collins looks healthy and great at RT. Carman looks like he can be the swing tackle. Trade Jonah? Collins and Carman are signed through 2024. Collins 2024 contract might be fake somehow? I feel like there were some weird things talked about there.

55 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Isn't the best case scenario.....Collins looks healthy and great at RT. Carman looks like he can be the swing tackle. Trade Jonah? Collins and Carman are signed through 2024. Collins 2024 contract might be fake somehow? I feel like there were some weird things talked about there.

There is no scenario where Jonah is getting traded.

33 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

There is no scenario where Jonah is getting traded.

Sure there is. Collins is able to play week 1 and wins the starting job while some other team has their starting LT go down in the last preseason game. Bengals should be happy to hold up another team for a pick and clear 12.6 mil in cap space in that scenario. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Sure there is. Collins is able to play week 1 and wins the starting job while some other team has their starting LT go down in the last preseason game. Bengals should be happy to hold up another team for a pick and clear 12.6 mil in cap space in that scenario. 

Good luck with that.

Not just for OL but elsewhere, too... always in the back of my mind now is the Bengals always take a few late cuts by other teams who are overstocked or trying to fly some guy under the radar to get on the practice squad.  Would be surprised if there was not 1-3 guys on the final roster who are not with the team now.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I would be surprised if we add anyone this year, Taylor seemed to be pretty happy with the depth of what we have saying it's the deepest this team has been in some time.

That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. We don't have 53 HoF players on the roster.

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

His contract is definitely unusual. It's heavily performance based, if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid (relative to the NFL of course, I'm sure we'd all be happy with a cool $2-3 million just for doing PT and hanging out.) If I read it right he only makes the double digits if he's starting, though 

I believe his contract may have an out option as well but as you said... It's a weird one. Once again credit to the Bengals FO for covering their asses with a questionable player, much as they can under the CBA etc anyhow.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

That doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. We don't have 53 HoF players on the roster.

You're also not going to find a HoF player at this point in the season, if a team cuts a guy that is a future HoF'er right now it's likely because he is on his last leg. Not a lot of teams doing cap cutting at this point. Not to mention the salary cap prevents teams from having 53 HoF'ers o their roster.

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

You're also not going to find a HoF player at this point in the season, if a team cuts a guy that is a future HoF'er right now it's likely because he is on his last leg. Not a lot of teams doing cap cutting at this point. Not to mention the salary cap prevents teams from having 53 HoF'ers o their roster.

Point being the bottom end of the roster aren't untouchables. A lot can happen between now and September.

22 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I would be surprised if we add anyone this year, Taylor seemed to be pretty happy with the depth of what we have saying it's the deepest this team has been in some time.

I am standing by my speculation but will modify it by saying at this point and, of course, from only what I read I can't see any of the

rookies getting cut with the possible exception of Ivy who will be told "don't pack your bags just yet".

On 6/16/2023 at 1:59 PM, Jamie_B said:

Good luck with that.

It's not probable but certainly could happen. When Collins is healthy, he's a better RT than Jonah and some team may lose their starting LT before the trade deadline.

On 6/16/2023 at 2:15 PM, Jamie_B said:

We could certainly use an experienced center to back up Karras. If anyone here is high on Hill or Brown, what is it based on? 

46 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's not probable but certainly could happen. When Collins is healthy, he's a better RT than Jonah and some team may lose their starting LT before the trade deadline.

We could certainly use an experienced center to back up Karras. If anyone here is high on Hill or Brown, what is it based on? 

Im not high on Hill but he hasn't played enough to determine his value..

Bengals seem to be allright with him..

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

It's not likely. 

I'm not sold on our backups at center either, but the kinds of guys that get cut at this point are the Max Sharping's of the world, and I don't know that anyone that might become available is going to be better than what we already have.

Better than Trey Hill or Ben Brown isn't a very high standard. Hill was a 6th round pick in 2021 who hasn't shown much and was behind Trey Hopkins, who hasn't been able to find a job in the NFL. Brown was an undrafted rookie free agent last year who missed the entire season with an injury after missing most of his last college season with a different injury. 

So it's safe to say we don't have anyone we can count on if Karras gets hurt. Pretty much anyone with prior NFL starting experience at center would be an upgrade. 

Archived