OL Offseason 2023

53 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Absolutely agree.

Would like to see a current pic of Flounder Carman for comparison.

Yeah where are the photos of him working at RT? Or is he?

Seems like that would be worth mentioning.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Absolutely agree.

Would like to see a current pic of Flounder Carman for comparison.

Haven't seen any recent photos, but I did read where a Bengals player (maybe BJ Hill?) said Carman was in his best shape ever physically.

3 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah where are the photos of him working at RT? Or is he?

Seems like that would be worth mentioning.

Every report from every reporter is that Carman is taking all the first team reps at RT. Literally, every report.  When Williams gets here, everyone who is there is waiting to report if Williams gets first crack back at RT or if Carman does or if they rotate or what not. 

46 minutes ago, membengal said:

Every report from every reporter is that Carman is taking all the first team reps at RT. Literally, every report.  When Williams gets here, everyone who is there is waiting to report if Williams gets first crack back at RT or if Carman does or if they rotate or what not. 

When Williams reports (as he will... too much $$ to walk away from) and L'Eel Collins is up to speed physic ally

we will be talking trade or cap hit if we cut Flounder.

6 hours ago, membengal said:

I see every player looking to be at what the team expects from them physically.

Good sign of dedication..

17 hours ago, membengal said:

Yeah I'm curious too. Should let him ride the pine as RT2, if & when he does show up. $13M be damned. Benching Carman that is here & working over salary would be some BS. That is an old Bengals, Mike Brown move.

Unless of course Jonah is the better RT, but does anyone here actually believe that?

48 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I'm curious too. Should let him ride the pine as RT2, if & when he does show up. $13M be damned. Benching Carman that is here & working over salary would be some BS. That is an old Bengals, Mike Brown move.

Unless of course Jonah is the better RT, but does anyone here actually believe that?

You don’t believe it obviously and I’m sure everyone on this board has known your feelings for a long time.  I’m not assuming anything other than they will put the best unit possible on the field.  Last year they didn’t hand the starting LG position to Carman and went with a rookie instead.  Whether it’s Jonah, Carman, or eventually Collins, I think we’re in good shape at RT and overall with depth at OT.  Adding Brown alone is a big improvement.  

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

You don’t believe it obviously and I’m sure everyone on this board has known your feelings for a long time.  I’m not assuming anything other than they will put the best unit possible on the field.  Last year they didn’t hand the starting LG position to Carman and went with a rookie instead.  Whether it’s Jonah, Carman, or eventually Collins, I think we’re in good shape at RT and overall with depth at OT.  Adding Brown alone is a big improvement.  

Exactly. They will play the player who earns the job. It is really the only open competition job on the team...just seems like people don't appreciate how rare that is in the NFL. The front office and the coaches have done a great job of building a strong championship caliber roster in a very short time.

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't know what they'll do, only that at times they've been indecisive in these situations.  Neither Carman nor Jonah have played there before.  Until Collins is back RT & RB are the biggest question marks on offense.

"It'll be fine" and some handwaving about trusting the coaches won't convince me, I admit. I'm anxious to see a clear starter emerge. We'll see who shows up for TC.

It looks like Collins will be ready to go for week 1. If that's the case, will he be on the team and in the lineup or will it be Jonah (assuming they don't trade him)?. They can save 9 mil in cap space by cutting Collins but he's obviously a better RT when healthy than Williams. 

Carman seems to be doing well in OTAs so he's a much better 3rd/4th option than Ford or Adeniji or Smith. 

RT isn't the only open position on the roster, Battle and Scott are fighting for a starting job and we'll see if CTB holds off Turner. 

15 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It looks like Collins will be ready to go for week 1. If that's the case, will he be on the team and in the lineup or will it be Jonah (assuming they don't trade him)?. They can save 9 mil in cap space by cutting Collins but he's obviously a better RT when healthy than Williams. 

Carman seems to be doing well in OTAs so he's a much better 3rd/4th option than Ford or Adeniji or Smith. 

RT isn't the only open position on the roster, Battle and Scott are fighting for a starting job and we'll see if CTB holds off Turner. 

I think Mixon as RB1 is locked in for now but still think he could lose a lot of snaps to the other guys. Wouldn't be surprised if he remains the clear starter or if he ends up replaced by November. Really seems like it could go either way for him right now.

Collins should easily win the starting job if he's healthy. My question is what'd happen after that - does he go slack mode?

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I don't know what they'll do, only that at times they've been indecisive in these situations.  Neither Carman nor Jonah have played there before.  Until Collins is back RT & RB are the biggest question marks on offense.

"It'll be fine" and some handwaving about trusting the coaches won't convince me, I admit. I'm anxious to see a clear starter emerge. We'll see who shows up for TC.

I don’t think you can say that this coaching staff has been indecisive at OL, at least nothing glaring that I can recall.  They benched and dumped Price.  They replaced Spain and Hopkins last year and Jonah this year.  They also started Volson as a rookie over a higher drafted player.  You can argue all of those moves are no brainers, but they still did it.  I’m fine with the options we have going into camp and I definitely don’t think it’s anything to panic about.  

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think Taylor-Britt is in any danger of losing his starting CB to anyone. He started off last season injured which slowed down his progression, but I don't think there was a more improved player on the team during the last half of the season. In fact, his position coach said he was their best CB in the playoffs. CTB has every tangible/intangible tool you need to become a star CB in the league. The sky is the limit.

1 hour ago, dex said:

I don't think Taylor-Britt is in any danger of losing his starting CB to anyone. He started off last season injured which slowed down his progression, but I don't think there was a more improved player on the team during the last half of the season. In fact, his position coach said he was their best CB in the playoffs. CTB has every tangible/intangible tool you need to become a star CB in the league. The sky is the limit.

Same, he looked like a top-tier DB with the usual rookie growing pains at worst. Not a lot of those for that matter. For a late 2nd round pick he was shaping up to be quite a steal.

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

At this point you may be the only person that believes that's a possibility, and I'm not even sure you believe it TBH.

13 hours ago, dex said:

Yeah CTB is your CB2 for the year, the rookies will get snaps but unless we are where we were last year and one of the CBs gets hurt none of them will start.

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Could be. Carman played a few decent games at LT, other than that he’s been a disaster.  Not a big Williams fan, but assuming Carman is better is a huge reach and also an old Bengals, Mike Brown move. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Could be. Carman played a few decent games at LT, other than that he’s been a disaster.  Not a big Williams fan, but assuming Carman is better is a huge reach and also an old Bengals, Mike Brown move. 

Not exactly an assumption, having seen them both play.  I don't know if Carman is any good but I'm pretty sure Jonah will get absolutely mauled at RT.

More to the point though, Jonah's been off having his pity party. Doesn't matter how good he is if he'd rather stay home and sulk. I think he knows he's not a RT too. Be nice to see him try at least but that's on him.

Carman winning the job by default is exactly why I wanted them to bring in another healthy RT.  Collins looks like he may be ready for camp so let's hope there's some competition.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Not exactly an assumption, having seen them both play.  I don't know if Carman is any good but I'm pretty sure Jonah will get absolutely mauled at RT.

More to the point though, Jonah's been off having his pity party. Doesn't matter how good he is if he'd rather stay home and sulk. I think he knows he's not a RT too. Be nice to see him try at least but that's on him.

Carman winning the job by default is exactly why I wanted them to bring in another healthy RT.  Collins looks like he may be ready for camp so let's hope there's some competition.

I'm pretty sure Collins will start the season on the PUP list. The guy tore 3 knee ligaments and didn't have surgery until January 2023. I get that Collins seems to be ahead of schedule, but opening day would be wwaayy ahead of schedule. Taylor has never mentioned Collins as a possibility to start at RT on opening day. The Bengals start with 6 games before their BYE week. Maybe Collins will be back after the BYE and the coaches can see where the team stands with the RT position. 

57 minutes ago, membengal said:

The pics of Williams that have been on his IG show him lifting massive weight and appearing to move etc. Pretty sure he will be here next week and right back into starting lineup at RT. 

here’s some -

But he wasn't very good as a LT.  What makes you think he'll be starting at RT other than the current lack of options?

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

But he wasn't very good as a LT.  What makes you think he'll be starting at RT other than the current lack of options?

I would assume that an LT should be able to slide more on outside rushes..

He bever seemed to have quick feet..

Maybe he can power block on the RT seeing he's getting healthy and probably as strong as we've seen him..

Maybe not though..😔

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

He is not bad. Your thesis is and has been and you won’t stop screaming it is that he is bad. He’s not. He was average at LT. I see no reason why he can’t be average at RT. Why he can’t be at least as effective as Riley Reiff was. That would be good enough until Collins is ready or Carman shows he is better than average at RT. But I submit a healthy Williams gives us a good baseline at RT. I know you will spend ten pages saying otherwise when all we really need to do is see how it plays out starting next week. 

7 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

At this point you may be the only person that believes that's a possibility, and I'm not even sure you believe it TBH.

Oh, I doubt they succeed in getting value for Williams. The time to do that was before the draft but they boofed it.  So, if they keep Jonah around, do they cut Collins and save 9 mil? Do they pay one of them to be a backup player? Jonah's best season was in 2021 when he was an average LT and the best player on a bad O-line. But Collins's play with Dallas in 2021 was much better than Jonah's play for the Bengals. If they both get back to their 2021 levels, then Collins is both a better overall player and a much better RT. 

Archived