Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

The problem with a vague diagnosis like "calf injury" (what Zac actually said) is that a "calf strain" (what Zac didn't say, but what got erroneously reported on twitter and then spread around) has a recovery time that varies greatly by severity ... everything from about a week, to a few weeks, to 3 months for the worst grade strain. 

So now all of Bengal nation sits in a panic waiting for real news. And then you have the Twitter pseudo doctors saying it endangers the achilles etc. 

Please just let it be a few week issue, I would shelve him for the useless preseason games like usual (along with all the other players that matter) and just focus on getting him ready for the opener. 

• Upvote 1

I don't want to be THAT GUY ... but it does beg the question, why the most valuable player in the history of the NFL or perhaps organized team sports in the last 1,000 years --- was allowed to still practice if his calf was already sore enough to warrant wearing a compression sleeve on it ??? 🤨

You have to protect your crucial asset when everything is riding on his shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Maybe these "injuries" in training camp are just God's way of keeping Burrow out of meaningless pre-season games so he avoids injury in those ... and maybe the secret to the Bengals post season's and Burrow's success is the fact that he DOESN'T do training camp and is "fresher" for the long season. 

^ This is the most optimistic spin on it that I can muster at the moment. 

• Like 1

It was a non-contact injury. No one touched him, no one was even near him. Burrow wasn't even playing in an exhibition game and got hurt anyway. Do you really think that Joe would go an entire training camp without mimicking a real game play where he would scramble to make a throw on the run? Of course not.

Teddy Bridgewater once tore his ACL just dropping back on the sidelines to make a practice throw. Even a great athlete can get hurt without ever being touched by an opponent. So you can't just put a healthy QB in bubble wrap and not let him practice. That's not how you win. 

• Upvote 2

One of these years an NFL coach is going to have the unconventional idea to not have any training camp at all and just do classroom study with the players. And see what happens when you enter week 1 with an injury free and 100% fresh team ...

Would you gain a competitive advantage or be ill prepared and soft? I think it's a question to at least consider

Does "iron sharpen iron" or is "rest the best medicine"? 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

One of these years an NFL coach is going to have the unconventional idea to not have any training camp at all and just do classroom study with the players. And see what happens when you enter week 1 with an injury free and 100% fresh team ...

Would you gain a competitive advantage or be ill prepared and soft? I think it's a question to at least consider

Consider what the OL looked like at the start of last season.  It was definitely the 2nd thing.

Man I'm wondering if we should resign this injury prone guy at all, or just draft a new QB.

Clearly he's a huge risk so far with a low COVID immunity system, subpar knee strength to withstand low hits, 

weak resistance to appendix bursts, and now a suspected calf muscle weakness. I'm concerned...

This dude is one concussion away from retirement, should we risk the franchise on an extension for him? 😄