Lessons learned from Cincinnati Bengals NFL preseason to Green Bay Packers

Kelsey Conway
Cincinnati Enquirer

The Cincinnati Bengals kicked off the preseason with a home contest against the Green Bay Packers on Friday night ultimately losing 36-19 in front 64,243 fans in attendance.

Despite not playing a snap, quarterback Joe Burrow stole the show. For the first time since injuring his calf on July 27, Burrow was seen throwing and running with no apparent setbacks during pre-game warmups. It’s still unclear when Burrow will be cleared to return to practice but what he showed prior to the game hints it could be sooner rather than later.

Quarterback Jake Browning started for the Bengals and Trevor Siemian closed out the game in the second half. Both struggled with accuracy and compiled 208 passing yards with 25 completions. The battle for the No. 2 quarterback spot remains undetermined.

The only starter to play was safety Dax Hill who wasted no time showing he’s going to be just fine starting at free safety this year. Hill played only three series but his deep pass breakup on Packers’ wide receiver Christian Watson in the first quarter was one of the highlights of the night. Watson had rookie cornerback DJ Turner beat and Hill sprinted from the right hash to the sideline to make a play on the ball showing his range and speed.

Here’s what we learned from the Bengals' first preseason game:

Get to know safety Tycen Anderson

With so much talk about safeties Nick Scott and Hill taking over starting roles for the Bengals, Tycen Anderson was a name lost in the shuffle. And after his performance against the Packers, that’s no longer the case. The first half belonged to Anderson after he recorded two interceptions, one for a touchdown.

Anderson was drafted by the Bengals in the fifth round of the 2022 NFL draft out of Toledo. Cincinnati traded up eight spots to pick Anderson. After playing in all three preseason games last year, Anderson was placed on injured reserve with a hamstring injury that kept him out for most of the season. He was cleared to return to practice on Jan. 11, a week before the Bengals played their first playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens.

“It’s a great moment, I’ve put in a lot of hard work to get to this position,” Anderson said following his performance. “I’m just excited to be in those moments and take advantage of my opportunities.”

After missing majority of his rookie season due to an injury, Anderson said he’s focused more on taking care of his body and hopefully it leads to him being able to play fast and without hesitation.

A position of question now looks like it could be one of strength because of the depth the Bengals have at safety. Scott and Hill will start and behind them defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo has options with rookie third-round pick Jordan Battle and Anderson in the fold.

Rookies Chase Brown, Andrei Iosivas impress on offense

Running back Chase Brown and wide receiver Andrei Iosivas both showed flashes of what they can be in the future for Cincinnati.

Brown, drafted in the fifth round, showed his illusiveness on one catch-and-run play that resulted in a 21-yard gain for the Bengals. He’s expected to have a role in the offense this year with Joe Mixon carrying the load. The Bengals want to be more explosive in the run game and the hope is that Brown will help with that. Brown finished the night with 12 rushing yards on eight attempts and three receptions for 33 yards.

“I feel like in preseason that’s your time to show you can make plays,” Brown said.

Iosivas led the Bengals in targets with 10 and caught four passes for 50 yards. The former track star turned wide receiver is raw and intriguing. His 6-foot-3, 212-pound frame gives the Bengals another big, physical target. Iosivas is gaining more confidence each day and he showed as much under the bright lights at Paycor Stadium. 

Bengals injury updates

A few players suffered injuries on Friday night. Linebacker Joe Bachie was ruled out with a chest injury and tight end Tanner Hudson didn’t return due to concussion protocol.

Bachie’s injury is one to keep an eye on as his career thus far has been marred with injuries. The undrafted free agent from Michigan State suffered a knee injury late in the 2021 season and spent first six weeks of the 2022 season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. He returned in the middle of the season and played a key role on special teams. The Bengals’ coaching staff offers high praise of Bachie and what he can do on the field when healthy. He’s someone they are counting on to provide depth in the linebacker room.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Guys I was impressed by: Tycen Anderson, Dax Hill, Jordan Battle, Chris Evans, DJ Turner, Domenique Davis, Andrei Iosivas

Guys I was not impressed by: Sidney Jones, Trevor Siemian, Chase Brown

And Jackson Carman as the Beaver.

If we cut Flounder, will it add money to the cap?

Addition by subtraction...

Subtract Flounder

Add a Roster Spot +. money for Tee and Joe,

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Guys I was impressed by: Tycen Anderson, Dax Hill, Jordan Battle, Chris Evans, DJ Turner, Domenique Davis, Andrei Iosivas

Chris Evans had more room to run than Chase Brown, but I will give Evans credit for hitting that seam inside for the one long rush. Last year he wouldn't have shown the patience. So that feels like progress. Brown never was given any seams, but I was mostly pleased with the way he moved the pile after contact.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dex said:

Chris Evans had more room to run than Chase Brown, but I will give Evans credit for hitting that seam inside for the one long rush. Last year he wouldn't have shown the patience. So that feels like progress. Brown never was given any seams, but I was mostly pleased with the way he moved the pile after contact.

yeah, I know, no starters and I'm OK with that but I wonder how much better Joe Sixgun would have done.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

As others have noted...I'd take Chase Brown off that list...not that he deserves to be in the "impressed by" list either...and add Carman to "NOT impressed by".

Without any of the stars playing, I admit that I really wasn't watching all that closely though so YMMV.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, membengal said:

Was trying to pay attention to Jax Kirkland.

Heard on the radio on the way home he had a false start

and 5 yd penalty.  Laph commented that that is not a good way

for an undreafted rookie to make the team.  He's huge and could open

some holes for Mixon to miss..

Speaking of huge #53 Tautala Pesefea is a 6'3" 314 lb  nose tackle who fills up two sport on the

D line just my being there.  Hard to see number for the hair.  Probably won't go anywhere but

practice squad but what a piece of meat.

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Addition by subtraction...

Subtract Flounder

Add a Roster Spot +. money for Tee and Joe,

"And Jackson Carman as the "

Beaver"..

Tickled my funnybone..😊

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Around $1.3M, about the same as the potential dead cap remaining from his signing bonus.  He probably sticks as the backup LT simply for lack of options.  Let's hope it snows again if & when we need him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Chase Brown needs to suck it up and go get his injury taken care of, it's really hampering him.

Im sure he's trying to as well as show some film about his talent..

Too bad but he's being counted on in a 3 back system.

I think he'll prevail to start the season..

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Chase Brown needs to suck it up and go get his injury taken care of, it's really hampering him.

Hes injured.

He'll heal.

Jones should get surgery asap.

6-8 weeks out instead if lingering mobility and probability if further tear.

Be smart..

• Upvote 1

Bengals: Could there be frontrunners in a couple of interesting position battles? Jake Browning, last year's third-string quarterback, played the entirety of the first half with the rest of the second-team offense, while new signee Trevor Siemian played in the second half. Over at right tackle, Jonah Williams got the night off while Jackson Carman played in the game. Browning ran with the starters in the joint practice with Green Bay and had the favorable reps on Friday. As for the offensive-line tussle, between Friday's participation (or lack thereof) and comments from assistant coach Frank Pollack earlier in training camp, Williams is the clear favorite to cement the right edge of the line. -- Ben Baby

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38163086/nfl-preseason-2023-week-1-august-10-13-takeaways-schedule-highlights

• Upvote 1