Die Stealers Die Week (Act 1)

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Might not be a bad idea. Then again—given ZT’s overcommitment to “continuity”, he’ll stick with Jake until he gets hurt. 

Zac will have to ask Joe Burrow's permission because Burrow seems to be running the team now.

Changing plays at the line of scrimmage (not that there's anything wrong with that) and

I'm injured (calf, wrist?) but I'll play.

But, yeah, I was calling for McCarron last night even though not available.

He's been around the block for a number of years and does count as a savvy

aging veteran.  I honestly think he has more of a chance of winning a few (and screwing

up the draft pick) than Jake Browning.

Speaking of the draft... Joe will want the hottest wide receiver out there.

No :ninja:s all around.

• Upvote 1

I honestly forgot all about AJ McCarron until the sideline shot of him talking to Burrow after halftime.  I know it seems like a cool and invigorating option to have him be the new starter, but I'm guessing there's a reason why he's still the #3 at this point.  I mean he's been on the team long enough now that he could have moved up to #2 behind Burrow, but he obviously did not.

I guess we shall see what they do...roll with Browning?  Elevate AJ?  Look outside the organization?  Colin Kaepernick anyone?

Still holding my breath on how bad the Burrow injury is and how long he'll be out...on the hand, the leaves are piling up in my yard and my garage is a f-ing mess.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

I honestly forgot all about AJ McCarron until the sideline shot of him talking to Burrow after halftime.  I know it seems like a cool and invigorating option to have him be the new starter, but I'm guessing there's a reason why he's still the #3 at this point.  I mean he's been on the team long enough now that he could have moved up to #2 behind Burrow, but he obviously did not.

I'm admittedly biased, having watched and rooted for AJ in St Louis during the XFL season this spring, but I would love to see what he can bring to the team.  He's a ten-year vet (yes, seriously) having been drafted in 2014.  Played 4 seasons for us (2014-17) then bouncing around other teams for the next 4 seasons ('18 OAK, '19-20 HOU, '21 ATL) before setting all sorts of records in the XFL for the BattleHawks.  Granted, the XFL is a developmental league full of players of sub-NFL quality, but McCarron's numbers were impressive - 203/295 for 2150 and a 24-6 TD-INT ratio in 9 games.  That projects to 4060 yards and 45 TDs over a 17 game season.  Important to remember that even though he was playing against XFL defenses, he was also playing behind an XFL OL and had XFL receivers, so discounting his performance due to the quality of the players around him, while fair, doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.  IMO, the biggest takeaway is that he has recent on field experience and demonstrated leadership - something that I believe the Bengals would benefit from.

Would McCarron be able to step onto the field at Paycor and make everyone forget about Burrow?  Of course not.  There's a reason McCarron has been a perineal backup QB and never found real success until playing in the XFL - but he could bring a level of maturity and leadership to the team right now.  And never forget, when Andy went down during the 2015 playoff race, AJ started the final three games (going 2-1) and nearly led the team to a first round playoff victory in the Burfict/Jones wildcard game.

I like Jake Browning - but I want to see AJ get a chance.   And if they show his wife on TV, that's definitely a bonus.  :1hump:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

I'm admittedly biased, having watched and rooted for AJ in St Louis during the XFL season this spring, but I would love to see what he can bring to the team.  He's a ten-year vet (yes, seriously) having been drafted in 2014.  Played 4 seasons for us (2014-17) then bouncing around other teams for the next 4 seasons ('18 OAK, '19-20 HOU, '21 ATL) before setting all sorts of records in the XFL for the BattleHawks.  Granted, the XFL is a developmental league full of players of sub-NFL quality, but McCarron's numbers were impressive - 203/295 for 2150 and a 24-6 TD-INT ratio in 9 games.  That projects to 4060 yards and 45 TDs over a 17 game season.  Important to remember that even though he was playing against XFL defenses, he was also playing behind an XFL OL and had XFL receivers, so discounting his performance due to the quality of the players around him, while fair, doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.  IMO, the biggest takeaway is that he has recent on field experience and demonstrated leadership - something that I believe the Bengals would benefit from.

Would McCarron be able to step onto the field at Paycor and make everyone forget about Burrow?  Of course not.  There's a reason McCarron has been a perineal backup QB and never found real success until playing in the XFL - but he could bring a level of maturity and leadership to the team right now.  And never forget, when Andy went down during the 2015 playoff race, AJ started the final three games (going 2-1) and nearly led the team to a first round playoff victory in the Burfict/Jones wildcard game.

I like Jake Browning - but I want to see AJ get a chance.   And if they show his wife on TV, that's definitely a bonus.  :1hump:

Agree.  A.J. "Better than Browning" McCarron 

Seriously, I think McCarron could be/is a better quarterback than Jake Browning.

Everything you stated above gives him a better chance of winning football games than Jake Browning.

I also think we will see him sooner rather than later, one way or another either the the Intelligence Fairy

waiving its magic wand over the coaching staff and putting him in over Jake rather than the usual trying

to pound a square peg into a round hole or our really offensive line will necessitate his insertion into the game.

Was considering skipping the annual invasion of the inbreds Stealers game but have reconsidered because it

may very well be a way to see A.J."Better than Kenny Pickett" McCarron pull one out of the tiger's ass.

• Upvote 1

The Pittsburgh Bag of Dicks is loud, arrogant and not nearly as good as

they think and their record shows.

Would love to see them come in overconfident, looking ahead and have Browning

or McCarron (my choice) tear them a new asshole throwing to Ja'Marr and Tee.

Yeah. I'm delusional but not impossible and I/we have to be getting closer to the pony.

I will check the Magic Eight Ball again after the Clowns and Steals tomorrow afternoon.

Like many on here, I watch the Bengals and nothing else but will probably make an exception

and watch at least part of this cluster bump.

• Upvote 2