Props to Zac

He’s done well in JB’s absence.  This was a QB centric offense where EVERYTHING was on the QB’s shoulders and centered around him.  Now, it seems like it’s more catered towards the entire offense.  When JB comes back next year, I hope this keeps up…it’ll make it easier on the entire offense to not be all on JB’s shoulders.

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

He’s done well in JB’s absence.  This was a QB centric offense where EVERYTHING was on the QB’s shoulders and centered around him.  Now, it seems like it’s more catered towards the entire offense.  When JB comes back next year, I hope this keeps up…it’ll make it easier on the entire offense to not be all on JB’s shoulders.

If Browning can move the offense in play action what would JB be able to do under center?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The other question here is with the way Browning has played are we looking at having to replace Dan Pitcher?

One of Callahan or Pitcher is sure to be gone. If Callahan gets a head coaching job, Pitcher could be come the new OC. If not, then Pitcher figures to become the OC somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

But the offense has been miles better in the second half of the last 3 seasons, no matter who the QB is. Always takes them a while to figure things out. This year? They finally got the screen pass game going. They finally found a good (if unusual) answer with a 3rd down "back" in Drew Sample. They finally were able to get Chase Brown healthy and able to contribute. 

One of these years Cincinnati will figure things out in September instead of waiting until Nov-Dec to start playing well. These slow starts to the season really can hamstring a season, either with unfavorable seeding or maybe missing the playoffs altogether.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dex said:

But the offense has been miles better in the second half of the last 3 seasons, no matter who the QB is. Always takes them a while to figure things out. This year? They finally got the screen pass game going. They finally found a good (if unusual) answer with a 3rd down "back" in Drew Sample. They finally were able to get Chase Brown healthy and able to contribute. 

One of these years Cincinnati will figure things out in September instead of waiting until Nov-Dec to start playing well. These slow starts to the season really can hamstring a season, either with unfavorable seeding or maybe missing the playoffs altogether.

Seems pretty calculated and they've even mentioned it before. They're willing to eat an 0-3 start for the sake of avoiding camp & preseason injuries. I don't really agree with worrying about football players playing football, and we've seen they still get hurt even trying to go soft but.. That's the strategy.

16 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Seems pretty calculated and they've even mentioned it before. They're willing to eat an 0-3 start for the sake of avoiding camp & preseason injuries. I don't really agree with worrying about football players playing football, and we've seen they still get hurt even trying to go soft but.. That's the strategy.

Burrow's August curse has been the biggest reason for the slow starts. It affects everything when Burrow goes down in the preseason, and thus far he has always gone down. The coaches were even more eager to get off to a good start this season because they opened with 2 tough division games. They certainly didn't want to start 2-0, knowing that losing them would make it extremely difficult to remain NFC North champs. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

BJ

Do you think Joe would be and make the team better under center?

I think if Burrow had this 2 headed running attack, improved pass blocking, screen game, and 6-man protect play calling - the Bengals would go 17-0 and win every game by 30 points. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

BJ

Do you think Joe would be and make the team better under center?

Has he always played in the Shotgun?

I think they had plans on Joe doing more under-center stuff, you saw some of it before he got the calve injury, the problem is the injury set him back from getting reps with it which pushed them back into the same O as before because he had no time to rep the new stuff. 

I hope to God he can finally get a training camp and preseason so we can install new things on the O next  year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

2 week ago, Callahan/Pitcher/Half the coaching staff were all being chased by pitchforks. 

Now being hailed as possible HC’s and OC’s? 

I wish there was a better word to use than “fickle” 😇

Good point. NFL has always been what have you done for me lately, week to week.  Browning has a played well and surprised people.  The team around him is pretty good as well.  Schedule down the stretch is tough but not impossible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

2 week ago, Callahan/Pitcher/Half the coaching staff were all being chased by pitchforks. 

Now being hailed as possible HC’s and OC’s? 

I wish there was a better word to use than “fickle” 😇

Both Callahan and Pitcher were interviewed for HC/OC promotions by other organizations during this past offseason. Both guys have been widely respected around the NFL for awhile now. There is nothing new happening here, as best I can tell.

• Upvote 1

I've never chimed in on the Zac attacks but imho and what I am seeing here is that

Zac Taylor and his coaching staff have created not one, but two serious playoff contending

teams in the same season.

Charismatic Joe Burrow the heady mad bomber and his flying circus

and

Jake Browning and his well rounded attack hitting on all cylinders.

If this was one of The Chosen franchises, Zac's Coach if the Year trophy would

already have the plaque  engraved and a FedEx truck running in the parking lot

waiting for the delivery call.

• Upvote 3