Week 18 - Clowns Gameday Thread

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't really understand this thinking. If they took a guy to compete with Jonnah this past year, then you're likely looking at a 2nd round pick at worst. Which means they wouldn't give up on that guy after one year, and your looking at having to start a 2nd year guy who may not be good vs starting a rookie next year who may not be ready. At some point the guy who is inexperienced is going to have to get a start when you lose as many guys as we are likely to lose in the next 2 years, that's just the nature of the beast. 

Right now I do not expect us to win the division next year either. We have too many question marks right now. That said we should be back on top the following year. The Ravens will have their own turnover and the Stealers and Browns don't have a good QB to be anything other than a wild card.

Why does that mean a 2nd round pick?  To me that's once again drafting out of desperation.  There's nothing wrong with making a 1st round pick earn their playing time. If your scouting doesn't suck that shouldn't be an issue for a first rounder.

If they don't win the division again next year it will be in large part due to forcing unprepared rookies into starting.

The draft is how teams get ahead of that roster turnover you're talking about.  If they're constantly drafting for immediate needs they'll keep playing catch-up with the teams drafting for the future.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Why does that mean a 2nd round pick?  To me that's once again drafting out of desperation.  There's nothing wrong with making a 1st round pick earn their playing time. If your scouting doesn't suck that shouldn't be an issue for a first rounder.

If they don't win the division again next year it will be in large part due to forcing rookies into starting.

The draft is how teams get ahead of that roster turnover you're talking about.  If they're constantly drafting for immediate needs they'll keep playing catch-up with the teams drafting for the future.

OT's taken in the 1st were take an picks 6, 10, 11, 14, and 28. We drafted at 29, the next OT taken in the 2nd round was taken at pick 48, that is a 20 pick difference. 

So we would have had to trade up above the Jags to get an OT or make a huge reach for the next available tackle. I wish the Bengals would move around in the draft more than they do, but that almost never happens, especially in the 1st.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

OT's taken in the 1st were take an picks 6, 10, 11, 14, and 28. We drafted at 29, the next OT taken in the 2nd round was taken at pick 48, that is a 20 pick difference. 

So we would have had to trade up above the Jags to get an OT or make a huge reach for the next available tackle. I wish the Bengals would move around in the draft more than they do, but that almost never happens, especially in the 1st.

Oh, you meant last year's draft specifically.

Honestly they were locked in to starting Jonah regardless, I don't think it mattered who was available.  They weren't willing to eat his $13M extension.  Great value, right?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd take a 2nd in a heartbeat

Sweeten the pot a bit.  Take a second and swap 1st-round picks or 3rd-round picks depending upon how many spots earlier their pick is…or a second and swap their 3rd with our 4th????

2 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Sweeten the pot a bit.  Take a second and swap 1st-round picks or 3rd-round picks depending upon how many spots earlier their pick is…or a second and swap their 3rd with our 4th????

I don’t think we are getting that for Browning.  

4 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Holy torpedo Batman.  We got Scooter and Driskel going head to head in the NFL.  wow this awesome

From my perch in the stadium, McCarron looked like an XFL guy playing in an NFL game…not great. 

On the other hand, Amish did sport his XFL jersey quite well: 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e6c4941c637475d3796f3bc23165b9e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.64a0a22e0f7877ad97838f00ce3b1f1b.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I'd say mostly on account of his age. There will almost certainly be QB's drafted in the first round that won't play as well.

He dialed in some dimes today. The one to Irwin was about as well a placed ball over defenders—with people in his face—as I have seen in quite a while. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I think so.

Bears will keep Fields and draft Harrison.

They have a lot of cap  space to sign Boyd.

Moore Harrison and Boyd would be dangerous.

I can’t fathom the Bears sticking with Fields.  He is what 10-28?   200 yards a game passing?   He just isn’t that good.   They would be better off with Browning. 

12 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

He dialed in some dimes today. The one to Irwin was about as well a placed ball over defenders—with people in his face—as I have seen in quite a while. 

Why would the Bengals let him go when so many starters go down at any time.

He's a valuable backup if needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1