Thanks, Jake Browning, for making Bengals games fun to watch down the stretch | Opinion

Regardless of how you boys feel about going and getting all the draft picks and playing moneyball:

-They still don’t draft very well

-They are the worst in the league at drafting offensive linemen.

-A day 3 pick is not starting anywhere on this team outside of punter next year.

-There isn’t a team in the league that is going to value him as much as the Bengals do. He’s incredibly cheap and completely erases a hole they’ve had on the roster the next few years. One that, in case you guys didn’t catch much ball this year - QBs were dropping like flies and not all of them were season ending.

Any team in the league who loses their quarterback for the season is capital F - fucked. If Joe Burrow gets a concussion and Jake Browning has to step in they’ve got a fighting chance. Moves the needle a little more than some backup linebacker they pick to run down the field on kickoffs.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That’s not the only factor though. Baseline - I don’t think the bengals would let him go for less than a day 2 pick.

If you’re trading a day 2 pick for him, you have to give him a contract. Can’t give up premium capital and lose him for nothing if he performs.

Day two picks are also what you’re going to use if you want to move up in the first round and get your guy. 

Best comp I can think of is Taylor Heinicke. Nothing really pops in terms of arm/speed/stature and he is what he is, but puts up decent stats. Could probably get a small multi year next year.

Hes going to be here next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JC said:

Any team in the league who loses their quarterback for the season is capital F - fucked. If Joe Burrow gets a concussion and Jake Browning has to step in they’ve got a fighting chance. Moves the needle a little more than some backup linebacker they pick to run down the field on kickoffs.

The browns managed to make it to a respectable season, unfortunately

1 hour ago, JC said:

That’s not the only factor though. Baseline - I don’t think the bengals would let him go for less than a day 2 pick.

If you’re trading a day 2 pick for him, you have to give him a contract. Can’t give up premium capital and lose him for nothing if he performs.

Day two picks are also what you’re going to use if you want to move up in the first round and get your guy. 

Best comp I can think of is Taylor Heinicke. Nothing really pops in terms of arm/speed/stature and he is what he is, but puts up decent stats. Could probably get a small multi year next year.

Hes going to be here next year.

Taylor Heinicke has a losing record as a starter. Bad comp.

It should happen, but the Bengals aren't forward-thinking enough to make it happen.

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Do you think that has more to do with Burrow or could it maybe be not drafting an OL worth a shit for over a decade?

I understand what you’re saying but 2 of his 3 injuries have been complete flukes and had nothing at all to do with what was happening with the OL.

No QB is protected indefinitely. Especially with the shit that’s coming out of college at that position group nowadays. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, spicoli said:

I understand what you’re saying but 2 of his 3 injuries have been complete flukes and had nothing at all to do with what was happening with the OL.

No QB is protected indefinitely. Especially with the shit that’s coming out of college at that position group nowadays. 

If the assumption is that he's going to get hurt every year they really should not have signed him for $250 million.  Either he is injury prone and it was a huge mistake to extend him or just maybe being sacked an average of almost 3 times per game is part of the equation.

Holy shit suddenly I'm a "Burrow Defender"! That was quick. Yesterday's heroes, eh?

• Upvote 1

The Cleveland game was so unserious that he didn’t even play the fourth quarter and got the greatest assist in the world from Tee Higgins and Nick Mullens to pull off the Vikings game. He got destroyed by the Stealers defense twice. Basically looked like a backup. Couldn’t process quick enough and started to get careless. Chiefs went to trail 2 man in the second half taking away Jamarr and Tee and we didn’t score. 

I’d love if they could get some real value for him. He’s just not that good that a team is going to value him over the guys that might be available like Fields/Mac/probably even Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

If the assumption is that he's going to get hurt every year they really should not have signed him for $250 million.  Either he is injury prone and it was a huge mistake to extend him or just maybe being sacked an average of almost 3 times per game is part of the equation.

Holy shit suddenly I'm a "Burrow Defender"! That was quick. Yesterday's heroes, eh?

Every QB gets hit in the NFL. You might be able to mitigate somewhat but you’ll never stop it. 

5 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They don't get sacked an average of 3 times a game.  That is, objectively, a lot.

Tom Brady blew out a knee taking a half sack less. You’ll never stop it. And now the kids coming out of college on the OL are getting worse by the year. 

• Upvote 1

Joe had less knockdowns per game than Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes this year. Two guys who objectively have the most resources invested in their trenches.

It’s a matter of luck and circumstance. Pat has had his injuries, Goff has been pretty healthy. Joe might just be more susceptible to this stuff. It’s going to happen in the future. The team would be wise to have a guy in house to hold down the fort if he can make it back for the post season.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JC said:

The Cleveland game was so unserious that he didn’t even play the fourth quarter and got the greatest assist in the world from Tee Higgins and Nick Mullens to pull off the Vikings game. He got destroyed by the Stealers defense twice. Basically looked like a backup. Couldn’t process quick enough and started to get careless. Chiefs went to trail 2 man in the second half taking away Jamarr and Tee and we didn’t score. 

I’d love if they could get some real value for him. He’s just not that good that a team is going to value him over the guys that might be available like Fields/Mac/probably even Zach Wilson. 

Bears dropped a hint that they are keeping Fields

Mac Jones?? I'm gonna have to strongly disagree 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:11 PM, T-Dub said:

These look comfortable and boring, like Jake Browning.

What are the zippers for? Are they big enough to hold a carefully folded commemorative "4th place in the AFCN with a winning record" certificate?

burrow-mens-slippers-1rpSl9.png

image.png.0fbd3bb29f26791e4e3e15e13cf490f1.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2024 at 6:31 PM, JC said:

Joe had less knockdowns per game than Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes this year.

That's because he only played in 10 games :D

before he got hurt...

and lost for the season yet again...

by getting knocked down...

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I thought the Pop Heard ‘Round The World was on the TD pass to Mixon? 

Believe he'd injured it on the play before when his arm collides with the guy Jonah failed to block, but he didn't really notice it until he tried to throw another pass on that TD. .

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Believe he'd injured it on the play before when his arm collides with the guy Jonah failed to block, but he didn't really notice it until he tried to throw another pass on that TD. .

Or, it could have already been hurt all week? 🤔

• Upvote 1