Zac Taylor thinks this season made him a better coach

Greg Wilson
Sun, Jan 14, 2024, 7:44 PM CST·1 min read

3c019176798e77b50ab7998188f1d470

Cincinnati Bengals‘ head coach Zac Taylor has had a winning record in three straight seasons, but in a conversation with Bengals.com reporter Geoff Hobson, he said he thinks going through this season made him a better coach and playcaller.

“You learn through these experiences you’re in,” Taylor said, via Hobson. “Every year is a little unique and we certainly faced some adversity like all teams do, and I certainly feel that I’ll be an improved head coach going forward and I’m excited to help the team improve as well.”

The Bengals faced adversity when starting quarterback Joe Burrow was dealing with an injury early in the season and started 1-3, but even more so when he was knocked out for the rest of the year and needed surgery.

Jake Browning took over, and he and Taylor led Cincinnati to a winning record in the best division in the NFL, playing a first-place schedule.

Taylor said it was tough for him to say whether this season was the best he has done as a coach, but he did say that the experiences and the things he learned will help him as a coach in the future.

“I certainly feel like we played a lot of really good teams this year that posed those challenges and you had to make sure you communicated really well as a staff to put our team in a good position and have a chance to win the game,” he said. “I know that we worked really hard at it, and we always put our best plan forward. And I think there are a lot of things that we can take to really help our offense next year.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/zac-taylor-thinks-season-made-014432998.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
Greg Wilson
Sun, Jan 14, 2024, 7:44 PM CST·1 min read

3c019176798e77b50ab7998188f1d470

Cincinnati Bengals‘ head coach Zac Taylor has had a winning record in three straight seasons, but in a conversation with Bengals.com reporter Geoff Hobson, he said he thinks going through this season made him a better coach and playcaller.

“You learn through these experiences you’re in,” Taylor said, via Hobson. “Every year is a little unique and we certainly faced some adversity like all teams do, and I certainly feel that I’ll be an improved head coach going forward and I’m excited to help the team improve as well.”

The Bengals faced adversity when starting quarterback Joe Burrow was dealing with an injury early in the season and started 1-3, but even more so when he was knocked out for the rest of the year and needed surgery.

Jake Browning took over, and he and Taylor led Cincinnati to a winning record in the best division in the NFL, playing a first-place schedule.

Taylor said it was tough for him to say whether this season was the best he has done as a coach, but he did say that the experiences and the things he learned will help him as a coach in the future.

“I certainly feel like we played a lot of really good teams this year that posed those challenges and you had to make sure you communicated really well as a staff to put our team in a good position and have a chance to win the game,” he said. “I know that we worked really hard at it, and we always put our best plan forward. And I think there are a lot of things that we can take to really help our offense next year.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/zac-taylor-thinks-season-made-014432998.html

What's he supposed to say?

I became worse?..😎

He did a fine job with what he had.

• Upvote 1

i think once again he showed he will not change his idea for an offense scheme to fit the players available.. 

so hopefully he learned that dont work ,

hopefully he learned sitting the  starting offense for the whole preseason, still doesnt work ...

and

hopefully he learned that building a defense to defend the pass ,  doesnt work if you never have the fucking lead because your dipshit offensive ideas dont work against the teams in the division you are playing.. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, stryker57 said:

actually i think we showed we are more then just a joe burrow team,  but zack cant get out of his own way.   

design/adjust  your scheme around your players,

do not try to make players work in your scheme, 

Who does this?  Teams get players that fit their scheme.  That's not on Taylor. 

Abandoning the run all the time is on Taylor. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 3:37 PM, High School Harry said:

What if the quarterback is checking out of them before the snap?

Asking for a friend.

Then the OC and Taylor need to have a talk with the QB.  The balance of run/pass with the Bengals is an issue.  As stated before, when the Bengals run plays under center they have been much more effective. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Then the OC and Taylor need to have a talk with the QB.  The balance of run/pass with the Bengals is an issue.  As stated before, when the Bengals run plays under center they have been much more effective. 

How does Taylor not see this.?

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

I am sure he does but Joe has the keys at the moment so he needs to have the discussion with JB. 

I've heard some former coaches say JB is smarter than them seeing the field.

Is he also stubborn about what he likes as opposed to Taylor ?

Who's the real playcaller here?

• Upvote 2

Zac likely realizes he only still has a job because of Burrow and he's also the reason he got an extension and financial security for life.

So there is perhaps a degree of deference paid when it comes to what Burrow wants to do. Like Zac can suggest something, but doesn't feel comfortable ordering it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Who dares to call out JBs decisions on play calling?

Anyone?.

Does JB call more audibles than 

Any other QB?

Like to find a stat on that..

I wonder about this too.  Maybe Joe Sheisty's tired of getting hit because Joe Smiley won't block for him & he doesn't trust the OL either?  Can't ask the guy to carry them then tell him he's doing too much.  He has faith in the WR's and obviously himself.  The other half of the offense, not so much.

• Upvote 2

Didn’t the Bengals just go 9-8 playing the hardest schedule in the NFL with a backup QB for over half the season? 

The players love the guy. They play their dicks off for him each and every week. 

Since when doesn’t that count for something? 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Didn’t the Bengals just go 9-8 playing the hardest schedule in the NFL with a backup QB for over half the season? 

The players love the guy. They play their dicks off for him each and every week. 

Since when doesn’t that count for something? 

My only real complaint is that it sometimes seems like they'd benefit from an OC.  Ideally a HC is macro & seeing the big picture, to me it looks like calling plays distracts him from that, it demands too much of his attention. I'd rather have a guy for that & let Taylor do what he does best. It's not like he can't still send in a play whenever he wants but it wouldn't be his full time responsibility.

Maybe an OC could make better use of the roster & get on the same page with JB so he's not checking out of plays all the time.

29 minutes ago, spicoli said:

We’ll see what happens post Callahan. It’ll be interesting to see who they replace him with. Guessing it’ll be Pitcher. Maybe Van Pelt if Pitcher get poached first. 

If Pitcher has the opportunity to call plays elsewhere or be an OC in name only for the Bengals I couldn't blame him for leaving.  I guess whatever Callahan did was enough to get him HC consideration though so maybe it's more about team success & poaching anyone you can from a winning program.