Random 2024 Bengals related stuff

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Watching a ZimWhodey vs Joe Goodberry discussion and this guys name got brought up, someone to keep an eye on.

…and I’m sure Ja’Marr would be more than happy to let him have jersey # 1.  🥷

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Hot off the presses

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/26/bengals-dish-50m-contract-key-free-agent-leonard-williams-idea/

B/R suggests Bengals dish $50M contract to key free agent

The Cincinnati Bengals feel like a team about to make another big splash in free agency.

After all, while boasting droves of cap space after the Tee Higgins franchise tag, the Bengals have a host of needs to address.

Chief among those is the defensive line, so it’s fitting that Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport suggests the Bengals go and get their best team fit, Leonard Williams:

Leonard Williams isn’t the best defensive tackle hitting the market in 2024. He’s just the best interior lineman with a real shot at leaving—Chris Jones of the Chiefs, Justin Madubuike of the Ravens and Christian Wilkins of the Dolphins will probably be extended and/or tagged by their current teams.

The projected contract on that deal? Three years and $50.5 million, with $36.5 million registered as guaranteed.

Williams, a former top-10 pick, just put up four sacks over 10 games in Seattle and has that interior pass-rush burst the Cincinnati defense needs.

What’s especially important for the Bengals to find is versatility and depth in addition to pass-rush ability. DJ Reader is a free agent and injured, leaving B.J. Hill as the most productive interior player. Williams, even at that price tag, would be a big upgrade.

******ummmmm... no

Ummm why?

I thought the team wanted to grab a run defender and interior rusher?

He can provide both.

They don't come cheap.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

too pricy.

He's easily affordable. But if we're going to pay big money for a DT, he needs to provide good pass rush as well as run stopping. Seattle had a poor defense last year which didn't much improve after their offseason spending binge and trade for Williams. I'd rather get Madubuike or Wilkins. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He's easily affordable. But if we're going to pay big money for a DT, he needs to provide good pass rush as well as run stopping. Seattle had a poor defense last year which didn't much improve after their offseason spending binge and trade for Williams. I'd rather get Madubuike or Wilkins. 

I have a feeling Madubuike and Wilkins are both going to get tagged. I think the best plan based on the most likely scenarios is try to see where Reader is at and resign him, then look to the draft for another long term NT 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I have a feeling Madubuike and Wilkins are both going to get tagged. I think the best plan based on the most likely scenarios is try to see where Reader is at and resign him, then look to the draft for another long term NT 

OK but who do they get to actually start when Reader isn't healthy yet and the rookie NT plays like a rookie NT?

This notion that they draft a RT & NT in the first 2 rounds and everything's golden is pure fantasy.  They'll be lucky to draft a quality day one starter at either position.

There's no way around the fact that they can't have the 5th most cap space at the end of this offseason and still expect to return to the SB.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

OK but who do they get to actually start when Reader isn't healthy yet and the rookie NT plays like a rookie NT?

This notion that they draft a RT & NT in the first 2 rounds and everything's golden is pure fantasy.  They'll be lucky to draft a quality day one starter at either position.

There's no way around the fact that they can't have the 5th most cap space at the end of this offseason and still expect to return to the SB.

I dont know what to tell you. This FA class for NT and RT isn't that great, at least with RT you can get a bridge guy, but there really isn't even a bridge NT that I can see. Should they have waited this long to find a Reader replacement after Shelvin failed to be that? No they should not have, but they did and now we are at a you have to build the team you can. 

I'm not opposed to spending money but I also don't want to overpay for guys either, you have to spend money on the right players and I don't know that there is a NT that we can find. That means a rookie might start, that's the reality.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont know what to tell you. This FA class for NT and RT isn't that great, at least with RT you can get a bridge guy, but there really isn't even a bridge NT that I can see. Should they have waited this long to find a Reader replacement after Shelvin failed to be that? No they should not have, but they did and now we are at a you have to build the team you can. 

I'm not opposed to spending money but I also don't want to overpay for guys either, you have to spend money on the right players and I don't know that there is a NT that we can find. That means a rookie might start, that's the reality.

What's overpaying mean exactly?  This team has a SB window and the market is what it is..  Maybe that means paying more than they want for a NT; oh well.  There's a need and there's whoever is available.  I'm sure they don't want to pay big bucks for an average player, but that's the price of not planning ahead. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe that means paying more than they want for a NT

What NT is it that they’re supposed to overpay for exactly? There is no one hitting the FA market that’s even remotely close to being in the same league as DJ Reader. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

What's overpaying mean exactly?  This team has a SB window and the market is what it is..  Maybe that means paying more than they want for a NT; oh well.  There's a need and there's whoever is available.  I'm sure they don't want to pay big bucks for an average player, but that's the price of not planning ahead. 

Overpaying means giving money to guys like Nick Scott. 

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Madulbulie will be more expensive and Wilkns will re-sign imo.

Shame if they pass on Williams 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spicoli said:

What NT is it that they’re supposed to overpay for exactly? There is no one hitting the FA market that’s even remotely close to being in the same league as DJ Reader. 

Of course there's not but the hope is the draft pick eventually lives up to that.  All they need from a FA is to not be a liability while that draft pick gets up to speed.  Seems obvious that a rookie is probably not going to hit the ground running as an every-down starter in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1