"One of the best players I've had the privilege of playing with. I've endorsed him when I've been asked," Karras said. "He's a premier player. He knows what it takes to win. He's a super athlete to be so big and move like that. He's very strong. A guy who has played a lot football. Seventh-round draft pick. Made his way up in this league. It's always good to see an old friend again. A guy that you've done it with. It's exciting for me. And we're going into the draft with a full line"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

If Brown is such an obvious upgrade over Becton, who didn't want to play here...why did the Bengals not target Brown from the beginning of FA, like why waste time on a lesser player like Becton?

Is it purely because of the Frank Pollack connection, because if so that is a huge waste of time and misstep? This idea that Pollack was going to rehab Becton's career is hilarious because he hasn't been able to develop one decent starter out of the 7 draft picks the Bengals have used on the offensive line in the past 5 years. These are talented players who have all the tools to be successful but Pollack has only managed to get one to start, and he's the worst player on the offensive line, a legit liability that should be replaced. 

The Bengals wasted a whole week on Becton when they should have been targeting Brown from the beginning, but better late than never...I guess...let's hope they get a deal done with Brown. 

Who effing cares.They got it done.Move on.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I think this puts Murphy/Newton/Powers-Johnson as obvious picks @18. We will draft a WR of course because Bengals. Great signing tho, will be nice to not see Burrow run for his life everytime he drops back to pass.

• Upvote 2

Even if they take an OT at 18 (Mims, Latham etc) they aren't beating out Tent Brown in training camp, or the regular season likely. 

The only way they still see the field is if there's an injury. So it would most likely be a redshirt year for them. Which is ideally what you want on good teams.

This likely plays into the idea of taking a Murphy, DeJean, or Bowers instead, who could see snaps week 1. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

And, this time of year especially after the first week flurry, it is all about the coin/length of deal/guarantees. These guys—and especially their agents—no long care about “playing with Joe”. As long as the moolah is right, they couldn’t care less about the team. If it happens to be a contending one, icing on the cake. But neither Brown or Becton is demanding “I have to be here!”

To your point, the guys who say that come off like used car salesmen trying to sell you a lemon...i.e. La'El Collins getting a Bengals tattoo and talking all this stuff about being a bodyguard when he knew he was banged up and couldn't play well...he was trying to win over the fanbase and provide cover for when he got on the field it was obvious he's a liability.

It's a business and these guys are independent contractors, so maximizing their earning potential is paramount. 

• Upvote 1

I love this signing. At least they aren't going in to the draft thinking they have to go RT in the first... I mean they still could draft a tackle there but they don't have to. I think they have had a really good first week of free agency   

• Upvote 2