Saw from another site that Mitch Wilcox, Trent Irwin, and Tanner Hudson will be restricted free agents this offseason. I doubt any of them are tendered by the team as they can probably be re-signed as unrestricted free agents for less than the tenders would cost. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Saw from another site that Mitch Wilcox, Trent Irwin, and Tanner Hudson will be restricted free agents this offseason. I doubt any of them are tendered by the team as they can probably be re-signed as unrestricted free agents for less than the tenders would cost. 

Confused on Irwin and Hudson. One site has them both restricted another has them both UFAs. I assume if RFAs they both will be tendered and Wilcox will not. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Hudson Irwin and Wilcox won't command much if re-signed.

Wilcox may be released.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Confused on Irwin and Hudson. One site has them both restricted another has them both UFAs. I assume if RFAs they both will be tendered and Wilcox will not. 

I'd be surprised if they were tendered, though the Bengals once tendered Josh Tupou. It was the highest pay of his career. There are different levels of tender but it would probably cost at least a couple mil each to have the rights for Hudson and Irwin. Maybe they are worried about Callahan poaching them or something but I think both could be resigned cheaper than that. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I'd be surprised if they were tendered, though the Bengals once tendered Josh Tupou. It was the highest pay of his career. There are different levels of tender but it would probably cost at least a couple mil each to have the rights for Hudson and Irwin. Maybe they are worried about Callahan poaching them or something but I think both could be resigned cheaper than that. 

I guess I didn't realize they had gotten so high

Type Amount
First Round $6,822,000
Second Round $4,890,000
Right of First Refusal $2,985,000

I could see us doing the Hudson Tender. But I will agree with you on Irwin. They like him but we might be better off if he leaves. 

• Upvote 1

Sure, he wasn't asked to do much blocking. I could see Callahan go for him but Hudson bounced around the league for quite a while. I doubt there's a big market for him.

Last year was a deep one in the draft for TEs. This year isn't as deep but lots of teams picked someone last season. 

• Upvote 1

Wilkins or Jones would be great additions for Bengals. Madubuike too if he reaches the market. We can afford a $25+ mil addition for 2024 if we're not extending Tee, and especially if we trade him instead of keeping him around. 

29 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Wilkins or Jones would be great additions for Bengals. Madubuike too if he reaches the market. We can afford a $25+ mil addition for 2024 if we're not extending Tee, and especially if we trade him instead of keeping him around. 

I dont think Madubukie is going to hit the market, but I'm surprised they think Wilkins is, if he does, go get him.

Wilkins agent is - Mulugheta. More guaranteed money than the Bengals are going to shell out. If they won’t guarantee year two for Tee, they aren’t doing it for Wilkins.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JC said:

Wilkins agent is - Mulugheta. More guaranteed money than the Bengals are going to shell out. If they won’t guarantee year two for Tee, they aren’t doing it for Wilkins.

Is there a way to find all the guys he reps and just take him off our lists?

• Upvote 1

This is where I landed today

McCarron 24 Campbell 25
Mixon 25 Miller 25
Williams 24 Fant 27
Irwin 24 Nijman 26
Hudson 24 Haack 25
Sample 24 Tart 27
Wilcox 24 Lawson 25
Ford 24 Edmunds 25
Scharping 24 Yiadom 26

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Dehner's piece in The Athletic showing what the Bengals look for in free agents over the last 4 years. 

Basically, they want younger, ascending players who don't break the bank. So we'll spread the money around and not take a shot at a Chris Jones type player.

https://theathletic.com/5319978/2024/03/06/bengals-2024-free-agent-targets/

I would say our 3 biggest needs on the roster right now are RT, DT, TE and a back up CB.

Going by what they do in FA, I think the most likely candidate is Onwenu at RT, Sample at TE. There isn't really a young ascending DT or CB that I can tell. Which is why I think they look to the draft for those.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

So we'll spread the money around and not take a shot at a Chris Jones type player.

... Orlando Brown Jr. - a player also from the Chiefs is the outlier to that strategy though. Chris Jones could be as well. 

17 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

If they made a big splash in FA right away and went after a top guy who is that?

I see really 2 options

RT-Onwenu

TE-Fant

Maybe Barkley?

Cushenberry is interesting

Honestly, Fant doesn’t do it for me. His pro career has been meh. He’s got raw talent but really hasn’t ever put it together, and I’m doubtful as to whether he ever will. 

Between FA and the draft, I would focus on finding interior DL help, a vet that can be Riley Reiff-like at RT to pair with a developmental rookie, and then looking to re-sign Hudson and Sample at TE. I would bolster RB with someone like Zack Moss, and find a vet slot guy on offense. They need CB depth, too, unless they move Dax there … and a punter to compete with Robbins. 

in FA, I expect they will be aggressive in bolstering the DT and T positions, and if they cut Mixon (personally, I don’t think it happens), RB… and maybe the DB room, too. Geno Smith is another guy… strictly a safety but he came on this past year. He’s an instinctive guy who can find the football. 

• Upvote 1

The plan and the players

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_oGEDBZnU6LESfPLyD8apeXSKI-OJ4Z8IWYd7YcnAsM/edit?usp=sharing

QB-Nothing, maybe bring back McCarron after his Battlehawks tenure

RB-Cut Mixon but likely bring him back. Lots of names on the list. I'd obviously love Barkley but not at his price. 

I assume they will cut Mixon and then feel out the market. If I am honest I can be talked into anyone but Mattison. 

Group A: Henry-Pollard-Barkley-Swift-Jacobs

Group B: Moss

Group C Gibson

Group D Dillon-Singletary-Foreman-Edwards-Mattison-Ekeler

WR-I'd sign a vet for the slot. The draft is deep but I think you can get a good deal on a slot guy

Three layers here: 

Long term starter

Darnell Mooney

Flyer with high upside

Paris Campbell

Veteran on league minimum

Jamal Agnew

Deonte Harty

Scotty Miller

Braxton Berrios

Tight End

Long term Starter with upside

Fant

Short term starter 2-3 years settles the position

Henry

Everett

1 year starter where you could easily draft a TE early still

Jonnu Smith-A pretty good fit with range to stretch the field still

Logan Thomas-Played QB for Taylor

Hayden Hurst

Young flyer who would be starting for first time. 

Parkinson

OL

Center if you wanted to upgrade....I don't

James-Raiders

Cushenberry-Ex Burrow C

Biadasz-Cowboys

Tackles

Starters where maybe you don't draft one early

Onwenu

Eluemonor

Shorter term Starters

Nijman

Fant

Wynn

Fleming

Flyer on a starter who could be long-term but is probably a bust

Becton

Nose Tackles-1 in FA, I want Reader back but don't expect it

Davis

Tart

Jenkins-Raiders

Jones-Bears

Defensive Tackles-Would be nice to get one in FA

Jones-Bills

Roach-Saints

Rankins-Texas

Joseph-Day-49ers

Kinlaw-49ers

Autry-Titans

Safeties and Corners-Too many to name. You want a fringe starter who is a veteran at both spots. They will probably wait until after the first few days and see what happens when the dust settles. 

I love Alohi Gillman. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2