Burrow: "Bengals are built to beat the Chiefs"

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

But are they built to beat the AFC North? 

Yeah, the Bengals got bullied pretty bad by the teams in our division. That's why I'm all in on prioritizing linemen in this draft. Starts up front.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The question I guess is: Can a team be built for the track meet of Kansas City and the tractor haul of Baltimore / Cleveland? Or do you have to choose and perfect one or the other.

Plus, does it matter if the Bengals go 3-3 in the AFC North, but ultimately beat the Texans and Chiefs in the playoffs to make the Super Bowl? Winning the division is of course the goal, but that can still be done while .500 in the division. 

• Upvote 1

As tough as it is in the AFC North, I feel like .500 is pretty good and would take that almost every year.

A good barometer to use is:

Win your home games (8-9 wins dep on conf rotation)

Win half your away games (~4 wins)

Losing a home game puts you in a hole in the away game category.

12 to 13 wins will put you in a good spot as far as conf seeding (maybe even #1 w/ bye).

• Like 1

I think you have to focus on your division first, if you can't win those games you are putting yourself behind the 8 ball and have to become dependent on those teams losing to other teams.

In this division it all comes down to stop the run and rush the passer. We can get to the QB, stopping the run is a problem as of late.

Of course protecting Joe too, but that's a thing outside of the division too.

• Upvote 1

Eh, Baltimore seems to fall on their face in the playoffs, even when they win the AFCN. 

Winning a Super Bowl means beating the Chiefs to get there. That's why I'm not necessarily locked in on a RT. Bowers or Q Mitchell would add a lot of value in 2024. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

The question I guess is: Can a team be built for the track meet of Kansas City and the tractor haul of Baltimore / Cleveland? Or do you have to choose and perfect one or the other.

Plus, does it matter if the Bengals go 3-3 in the AFC North, but ultimately beat the Texans and Chiefs in the playoffs to make the Super Bowl? Winning the division is of course the goal, but that can still be done while .500 in the division. 

Your scenario is a good game plan for the season.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Griever said:

As tough as it is in the AFC North, I feel like .500 is pretty good and would take that almost every year.

A good barometer to use is:

Win your home games (8-9 wins dep on conf rotation)

Win half your away games (~4 wins)

Losing a home game puts you in a hole in the away game category.

12 to 13 wins will put you in a good spot as far as conf seeding (maybe even #1 w/ bye).

I'll be happy to get into the playoffs .

This season is no party..

Understand home seeding once in but 10-7 is good as long as we're in..

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you have to focus on your division first, if you can't win those games you are putting yourself behind the 8 ball and have to become dependent on those teams losing to other teams.

In this division it all comes down to stop the run and rush the passer. We can get to the QB, stopping the run is a problem as of late.

Of course protecting Joe too, but that's a thing outside of the division too.

Rush the Passer..Stop the Rusher.

Today's game.

Stopping is still a concern that

will be rectified by Katy above all.else...

Remember the investment in JB..

She does .,.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I'll be happy to get into the playoffs .

This season is no party..

Understand home seeding once in but 10-7 is good as long as we're in..

We're getting a 4th place schedule. We definitely should make the playoffs unless injury hits us harder than other teams. 

18 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Rush the Passer..Stop the Rusher.

Today's game.

Stopping is still a concern that

will be rectified by Katy above all.else...

Remember the investment in JB..

She does .,.

The NFL is a passing league. Stopping other team's passing games is more important than stopping their running game. It's hard to run the ball down the field and defenses can stunt and run blitz or add another defender to the box against opponents determined to run the ball. It's also harder to overcome penalties by running. 

No doubt it would be easier to stop Henry, Chubb, and Harris/Warren with a strong NT. But even if we have to play a rookie there, we'll be ok. Just getting Nick Scott off the field goes a long way. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2024 at 4:48 PM, sparky151 said:

Eh, Baltimore seems to fall on their face in the playoffs, even when they win the AFCN. 

Winning a Super Bowl means beating the Chiefs to get there. That's why I'm not necessarily locked in on a RT. Bowers or Q Mitchell would add a lot of value in 2024. 

Bottom line is Baltimore is one injury to Lemur away from Palookaville.

Same for Kansas City and Mahones.

I honestly do now wish ill, harm or injury on anyone but

they're overdue.  Just sayin'

And every one of us here knows how that affects a team.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Bottom line is Baltimore is one injury to Lemur away from Palookaville.

Same for Kansas City and Mahones.

I honestly do now wish ill, harm or injury on anyone but

they're overdue.  Just sayin'

And every one of us here knows how that affects a team.

Lamar has been injury prone the last few years. Mahomes is heavily protected by the officials. Their line, especially the tackles are allowed to hold or move early to a greater extent than other team's lines are. Remember Collinsworth referring to Jawaan Taylor as the slot receiver because of how far off the line he was when he took his stance?

2 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

It has been interesting this offseason to see how interior OL and DL got paid some big bucks. Far more than say CB’s. Given that, I really think the smart play is to invest more draft capital towards the two lines. 

Yeah, guards were definitely winners this free agency period. Some pretty crazy overpays. My view is that was a byproduct of a shortage of good O-linemen combined with a big jump in cap space. So teams spent it quickly in chunks to protect their QBs. 

• Upvote 1