Week 1 Notes

Off topic, but somewhat relevent to the topic since it's about Week 1, but according to Bengals.com,  it looks like Pacman got one of those "Captain" badges on jersey via his teammates,  first time in his career he was voted a captain.

Pac, Big Whit, the Red Rifle, Peko, and Vinny Rey have them this year.  Surprisingly Michael Johnson (former #93, currently #90) also got the Captain badge as well,  though honestly I fail to see why he got it and someone like Geno, Carlos, or AJ Green don't have them...

Just an opinion.

Here's the link :http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hits-Lewis-nearly-all-hands-on-deck-Teammates-give-nod-to-Jones-Dawson-unclaimed/77d022e1-398a-4cac-9d20-5556036e24d4

9 minutes ago, JC said:

Jets having major issues at RT. Carlos might just be pulling an Antwan Odom Sunday.

I saw that they will rotating RT's on Sunday, that's never a good sign. Fitzpatrick can be rattled if pressure is applied, hopefully we will be able to get to him early and often.

I'm concerned our RT as well, Cedric barely played in the preseason this year after missing last year's with another injury. I saw him in practice and he was inconsistent at times, I remember one play where Carlos literally lifted him off his feet and put him on his butt. With little to no preseason experience, his injury history, and inconsistent play he could be a liability vs. the Jets dominate defensive line. It will definitely be something to watch going into the game on Sunday. 

28 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I'm concerned our RT as well, Cedric barely played in the preseason this year after missing last year's with another injury. I saw him in practice and he was inconsistent at times, I remember one play where Carlos literally lifted him off his feet and put him on his butt. With little to no preseason experience, his injury history, and inconsistent play he could be a liability vs. the Jets dominate defensive line. It will definitely be something to watch going into the game on Sunday. 

Yeah...but, safe to say: Carlos Dunlap > Leonard Williams, right?

Good thing about tough lines on both sides of the ball is that they get to stay strong and sharp by competing each day in practice.

1 minute ago, thezerawkid said:

Yeah...but, safe to say: Carlos Dunlap > Leonard Williams, right?

Good thing about tough lines on both sides of the ball is that they get to stay strong and sharp by competing each day in practice.

Leonard Williams is pretty good, top 10 pick with plenty of talent around him...it's going to be a battle for sure.

On 9/6/2016 at 1:04 PM, High School Harry said:

Margus gets his first sack of the year.  Well, if he's active.

I hope you are right, but curious as to why you are such a big fan of this guy...he's a bust.  He has athletic ability but if you every watch him play he's so disappointing. He has no hustle or aggression to his game, he's just out there most of the time. In his 4th year he hasn't shown much progress, unless he has a breakout season I can't see him being back with the Bengals. 

7 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I hope you are right, but curious as to why you are such a big fan of this guy...he's a bust.  He has athletic ability but if you every watch him play he's so disappointing. He has no hustle or aggression to his game, he's just out there most of the time. In his 4th year he hasn't shown much progress, unless he has a breakout season I can't see him being back with the Bengals. 

+1 for not responding with some sort of comment about stupidity or being an idiot because you question or disagree with my comments.  Not everyone goes lockstep with every comment on the board.  Doing so should only invite further conversation in the thread.  

My sack comment was slightly tongue in cheek.

Stiff, slow, plodder, stands straight etc. but his strength makes him someone who must be accounted for allowing others to make plays.  Tired of seeing more highly touted players whiff, dive on their face or celebrate after making a tackle eight yards down the field they (or someone) should have made five yards sooner.

The fact that he wasn't cut, as I too expected, says the Bengals see something in him that we Joe Baggadounts in the stands doesn't.  They sure grew tired of Dawson's act and cut him before Hunt.  Last year of his contract and I will be surprised if it is renewed unless the breakout year happens.

Enigma and underachiever even underdog and one of the board whipping boys.  I simply would really like to see him succeed or get some degree of credit.

44 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I could see them involving Burkhead more than usual. They need to find his niche. Or maybe not because he is playing Peermans role now. 

I am thinking out loud now. Carry on

I've felt since day 1 that Burkhead needs to be used in our offense more. He's got skills that others don't have that can help the O. He proved he can hang in the NFL during the Colts playoff game and he had almost no threats around him. Give him the protection that guys like AJ Green provide him and he could probably get some extremely favorable mismatches to exploit.

They love to put guys in motion. They could go with a 2 RB set with Gio and Rex and put 1 or both in motion and really give Dalton some reads and some favorable matchups of some shitty LB on one of our RBs. Both are good receivers and route runners. The one package this team seems to refuse to use that would cause matchup nightmares is 2 RB sets.

34 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I've felt since day 1 that Burkhead needs to be used in our offense more. He's got skills that others don't have that can help the O. He proved he can hang in the NFL during the Colts playoff game and he had almost no threats around him. Give him the protection that guys like AJ Green provide him and he could probably get some extremely favorable mismatches to exploit.

They love to put guys in motion. They could go with a 2 RB set with Gio and Rex and put 1 or both in motion and really give Dalton some reads and some favorable matchups of some shitty LB on one of our RBs. Both are good receivers and route runners. The one package this team seems to refuse to use that would cause matchup nightmares is 2 RB sets.

There is a lot of variability now with Hewitt, Burkhead and I believe Tyler Boyd played from the backfield at times in Pitt. 

Archived