[b]Can anyone answer this question. I believe that Marvin Lewis was one of the best defensive coordinators that the NFL has ever seen before becoming a Head Coach. Lovie Smith was a good not great defensive coordinator with the Rams before becoming the Bears head coach. Why then do the Bears have a defense that is a lot better than ours? I just cannot figure out why we cannot have a better defense with Marvin making decisions. [/b]

Guest sigfox77
With the exception of Deltha and M. Williams I would say the Bears have a lot more talent. Even though it has been mentioned already they have great blitz schemes while ours seem to be slow and timid.

Smith was a great defensive cooridnator.

He just didn't have the players that Marvin had in Baltimore.

When you take a great coordinator and give him great players, you get the 2000 Ravens defense.

Lovie Smith might have been able to do the same thing Marvin did.

Anyway, their stars are on defense, and they have an offense that lends itself to making a defense look good.

Our offense is on and off the field with 3 or 7 points in 2 minutes or less. Their's grinds it out with a ground game keeping their defense fresh and off the field. This is the first year the Bears have had any quick strikes on offense.

If we had an Urlacher or Tommie Harris our defense would be a lot better.

There aren't many players more dominant in this league than Urlacher. The only guys we have that are that dominant are all on offense. Palmer and Chad Johnson.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='357206' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:58 AM'][b]Can anyone answer this question. I believe that Marvin Lewis was one of the best defensive coordinators that the NFL has ever seen before becoming a Head Coach. Lovie Smith was a good not great defensive coordinator with the Rams before becoming the Bears head coach. Why then do the Bears have a defense that is a lot better than ours? I just cannot figure out why we cannot have a better defense with Marvin making decisions. [/b][/quote]

Dude,

take a chill pill.

The Bears already had key defensive players in place before Smith arrived there,
(Mike Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, etc)

His arrival just made them better.

When Marvin came here, he had to make chicken salad out of chicken shit as far as
the defense is concerned, and it's still a work in progress.

But considering Marvin has an overall better record than Lovie, beat him head to head,
and has the same amount of playoff appereances and division titles Lovie has, I'll take
Marvin any day of the week.

[quote name='sneaky' post='357220' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:10 AM']Dude,

take a chill pill.

The Bears already had key defensive players in place before Smith arrived there,
(Mike Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, etc)

His arrival just made them better.

When Marvin came here, he had to make chicken salad out of chicken shit as far as
the defense is concerned, and it's still a work in progress.

But considering Marvin has an overall better record than Lovie, beat him head to head,
and has the same amount of playoff appereances and division titles Lovie has, I'll take
Marvin any day of the week.
[b][/quote]
I never said that I would take Lovie over Marvin.. I would not take anyone over Marvin with the exception of Bellichick but Marvin will be a better coach than him also in due time. Bellichick was a failure in nis first head coacing stint with the Browns..Marvin never has failed and will never fail as Bengals Coach. He has done a phenomenal job. I just cannot stand to see our defense get run through like swiss cheese..We need to improve but with all due respect we do have some key injuries. I think pollack would have been great this year..Hopefully he'll return next year...same for Odell[/b]

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='357206' date='Oct 2 2006, 10:58 AM'][b]Can anyone answer this question. I believe that Marvin Lewis was one of the best defensive coordinators that the NFL has ever seen before becoming a Head Coach. Lovie Smith was a good not great defensive coordinator with the Rams before becoming the Bears head coach. Why then do the Bears have a defense that is a lot better than ours? I just cannot figure out why we cannot have a better defense with Marvin making decisions. [/b][/quote]

well.. take out urlacher, another starting LB. a starting safety.. and we will see how good that defense is.

Yeah he just has the big playmakers already there so it was easy to mold their defense from being a good defense to a really good defense. So if we draft and get some of those big playmaker guys and get a better blitz scheme we will be fine. Madieu being here and DJ and when Pollack retruns our defense is ok....get a scheme we can be great.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Agent Orange' post='357276' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:59 AM']It's the players on the field that make the difference.[/quote]

not quite. New England is proof that you can plug about any player into the right scheme.

Guest oldschooler
The Bengals have 3 ...count them 3 players left on the Defensvie side of the ball from 2002.

KK, Justin Smith and Brian Simmons.

That`s a VERY high turnover rate of players.
Plus they were without their 1st and 2nd round picks from last year.
Plus they were without their starting Safety. Plus they were without
their key backup to their 1st round pick from last year and had a
Caleb Miller starting in his place.

You don`t just come in, gut a Defense, lose key players that you`re counting on to rebuild that defense,
and play like one of the best Defenses in the game. I don`t give a fuck WHO your coach is.

Guest Coy Bacon
The Bears organization has always prized defensive players. They have a defensive mentality and don't let themselves get as badly stocked on that side of the ball as the Bengals have. Marvin Lewis has been trying to do a major overhaul on a budget. It's like tuning a piano. If you let it get too badly out of tune, you can't tune it back up to where it is supposed to be right away. On the other hand, the Bears have tended to neglect their offense.

Scheme can't be an excuse, Marvin has handed picked two coordinators already.

Players can't be an excuse he's had a number of defensive picks from the first 4 rounds of the draft. He has also acquired some talent via trades and FAs.

This is 2006 not 2003. There has been 4 offseasons to correct the defense and despite producing a bunch of TOs (good thing), they still can't get off the field and consistently stop opponents from scoring (bad things).

No excuses for Marvin his defense and the methods of building that defense should be questioned.

To make the problem even worse, it's not like they require a top 10 unit in order to win. Get us a top 15 unit with TOs and decent run defense and they'd be pretty tough.

Start with a middle linebacker named Urlacher.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='357206' date='Oct 2 2006, 02:58 PM'][b]Can anyone answer this question. I believe that Marvin Lewis was one of the best defensive coordinators that the NFL has ever seen before becoming a Head Coach. Lovie Smith was a good not great defensive coordinator with the Rams before becoming the Bears head coach. Why then do the Bears have a defense that is a lot better than ours? I just cannot figure out why we cannot have a better defense with Marvin making decisions. [/b][/quote]

Scouting and ownership

1st, New England is not full of a bunch of scrubs, they are full of a bunch of talented no-namers because of their high turnover right.

Don't confuse them plugging players into their scheme and having a great defense with them plugging scrubs into their scheme and having a great defense.

Furthermore

We have the injury bug right now on defense, and we played a team that matchup way better on offense with our defense. Give us a healthy defense and an average offense and this defense is in the top half.

Marvin Lewis has had the time to manifest his defense. The talent is there. It's a matter of getting it all healthy and making it click. The players will mature.

Chuck Bresnahan is overrated. I'd love someone who is more creative. A blitzer. Blitzing may not be the best defense, but I like it.

COY, Great piano analogy. Because we all know what that's like! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img]

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='357701' date='Oct 2 2006, 11:00 PM']The Bears organization has always prized defensive players. They have a defensive mentality and don't let themselves get as badly stocked on that side of the ball as the Bengals have. Marvin Lewis has been trying to do a major overhaul on a budget. It's like tuning a piano. If you let it get too badly out of tune, you can't tune it back up to where it is supposed to be right away. On the other hand, the Bears have tended to neglect their offense.[/quote]

Well said, Coy.

But that's kinda off as well, because Mike Brown is known for throwing money at players with promise, whether good or bad.

And if you think about it, most of the well known Bengals players of the past are on the offensive side of the ball, like Iccky, Boomer, Kenny Anderson, James Brooks, and Cris Collinsworth. The only ones that I can remeber on defense are fulcher, Krumrie, and Ken Riley.

I had never heard of Coy Bacon until I did a little research on the name.

The Bengals have always been offensively oriented. We are where the West Coast offense was born, as well as the play-fake, and the No-Huddle.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='358239' date='Oct 3 2006, 09:28 PM']1st, New England is not full of a bunch of scrubs, they are full of a bunch of talented no-namers because of their high turnover right.

Don't confuse them plugging players into their scheme and having a great defense with them plugging scrubs into their scheme and having a great defense.

Furthermore

We have the injury bug right now on defense, and we played a team that matchup way better on offense with our defense. Give us a healthy defense and an average offense and this defense is in the top half.

Marvin Lewis has had the time to manifest his defense. The talent is there. It's a matter of getting it all healthy and making it click. The players will mature.

[b]Chuck Bresnahan is overrated.[/b] I'd love someone who is more creative. A blitzer. Blitzing may not be the best defense, but I like it.

COY, Great piano analogy. Because we all know what that's like! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img][/quote]

I soooo agree with this, I wanted Jim Bates, but that ship didnt sail.

well just to throw some salt on the wound...

we had a great MLB and a decent OLB here but he let Spikes go and Simmons is here.

Maybe spikes didn't want to be here but if he franchised and asked him to stay 1 more year I think he would of seen what marvin was doing and would of stayed.

So i do kind of wonder where Marvins ability to draft defensive talent is minus Madieu williams.

Guest Claptonrocks
Is it so fucking hard to draft a first day defensive tackle?
Lewis is hell bent on getting a "steal" in the later rounds on one.
Note to Lewis....it doenst seem to be working dude!

Archived