Is Rudi That Bad...Or Is The Oline Sandbagging Him?

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='586214' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:48 PM'][b]Kenny is just much much better than Rudi.

Rudi is slow, small, has no jukes, pussyfoots, and SUCKS !

I hope I never see him run the ball again in stripes.

The Worst RB in the league. [/b][/quote]

I would think that you would subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the O-Line sandbagging it. :ninja:

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='586218' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:51 PM']I would think that you would subscribe to the conspiracy theory of the O-Line sandbagging it. :ninja:[/quote]

[b]Nah .. no conspiracy this time ... ^_^

Rudi just plain sucks. No way to sugarcoat it ... he is horrendous ... awful ... an embarassment to every peewee kid who ever held a football. [/b]

[quote name='Bunghole' post='585002' date='Nov 4 2007, 07:29 PM']When we came back against the Jets, I noticed very clearly how much fun the OLINE seemed to be having blocking for Kenny, picking him up after tackles, hugging him after the TD's, etc...
Rudi has been getting nary a helmet slap for anything he's done...but then again, Rudi hasn't done anything either.
I am wondering if in fact Rudi is not only done and sucks, but if in fact the oline "tries harder" for Kenny than for Rudi due to some kind of resentment towards Rudi for whatever reason.[/quote]
You know why the oline was happy that afternoon? We ran the damn ball. And continued to run the damn ball.

How would you rather spend 3 hours of your afternoon? Knocking another guy on his ass run blocking, or getting pounded by the opposing d-line in pass protection? I guarantee you there is not one olineman on this team that would not prefer to run it twice as often as we throw it.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='586098' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:50 AM']With the way he's been playing, what the hell would we get for him?

Ohalete and a used condom?[/quote]
That is some funny shit right there. Wish I'd caught that last night when I was in a shittier mood...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='586328' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:17 PM']I think everyone is missing the fact that there are no holes when rudi gets it.[/quote]
I'm rewatching the game (already got the torrent) and so far about half the time there are holes and Rudi is not hitting them, he's dancing.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='586347' date='Nov 5 2007, 08:59 AM']I'm rewatching the game (already got the torrent) and so far about half the time there are holes and Rudi is not hitting them, he's dancing.[/quote]

yea he did dance his first 1-2 carries, but most the time he didn't even get time to dance.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='586353' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:06 PM']yea he did dance his first 1-2 carries, but most the time he didn't even get time to dance.[/quote]
fwiw, here's what I'm seeing...

As we all know, the guy has no speed. He cannot get to the edge. Here's the problem, the D knows it too, and when Rudi is in the game, they are coming downhill at him from the snap, because there is NO fear that he will change direction and leave them in his wake as he busts it to the outside. There is a LB coming through the hole almost instantly. Every down is a goal line drill for the D. They have no fear.

But, there are holes. The O-line is opening them up.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='586371' date='Nov 5 2007, 10:26 AM']fwiw, here's what I'm seeing...

As we all know, the guy has no speed. He cannot get to the edge. Here's the problem, the D knows it too, and when Rudi is in the game, they are coming downhill at him from the snap, because there is NO fear that he will change direction and leave them in his wake as he busts it to the outside. There is a LB coming through the hole almost instantly. Every down is a goal line drill for the D. They have no fear.

But, there are holes. The O-line is opening them up.[/quote]

That is what I saw as well. This is what I posted last night.....

[quote name='Phatcat' post='586071' date='Nov 4 2007, 09:26 PM']Just a little different take on your point. I think defenses know Rudi has no lateral speed so they attack the line of scrimmage when he is in, knowing there is absolutely NO risk of him bouncing it outside. Conversely, when Watson is playing they are more conservative because he can bounce it outside and take it inside which gives him more room and it has shown in yards per carry. I really don't think defenses respect Rudi right now and rightfully so. He is a one trick pony.

Rudi needs to take a backseat and backup Watson, until production on the field proves otherwise.[/quote]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='586386' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:41 PM']That is what I saw as well. This is what I posted last night.....[/quote]
damn, I shoulda just used my typical x2 :D

It's a shame he's not getting it done. But I hope they find him a new home next season unless something changes drastically. I'd rather see Dorsey than Rudi at this point. And I never thought I'd be saying that...

[quote][size=5][b]Run game comes to screeching halt [/b][/size]

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Two weeks after rushing for a season-high 177 yards in a win against the New York Jets, the Bengals pulled a 180-degree turnabout in Sunday's 33-21 loss against the Buffalo Bills.

[b]The Bills held the Bengals to just 28 yards on the ground and an average of 1.7 yards per rushing attempt despite entering the game having allowed an average of 127.9 yards per game this season. Rudi Johnson returned from a hamstring injury that had limited him to four carries since Sept. 23 and gained 11 yards on nine carries. Kenny Watson had excelled as Johnson's replacement but could do no better against Buffalo's run defense than equaling Johnson's yardage output on four attempts.[/b]

The Bengals' longest run of the game was a 7-yard scramble by quarterback Carson Palmer.

"They just came off of the ball better than us and made plays," said Johnson, who was held to one yard or less on six of his nine carries. "That was all game long. We never really established anything."

Johnson started at running back Sunday even though Watson had been announced as the starter prior to kickoff. He said his hamstring was sore after the game but that it didn't hamper him during the game and that the soreness was expected.

Watson didn't get any carries in the first half but his 43-yard gain on a screen pass from Carson Palmer helped set up the Bengals first touchdown, a 15-yard pass from Palmer to receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Watson finally took his first handoff with 7:00 left in the third quarter when he picked up a first down with a 3-yard run on second-and-1.

Watson led the Bengals with seven receptions for 90 yards.

[b]ROUGH DAY -[/b] It wasn't a good day for Bengals cornerback Johnathan Joseph. Bills wide receiver Lee Evans had the ninth 100-yard day of his career, much of it at Joseph's expense. Evans had nine catches for 165 yards and one touchdown. Evans accounted for 65 of the 75 yards the Bills picked up on their opening drive, including the final eight yards when he caught a touchdown pass from quarterback J.P. Losman.

"They had the perfect call for the defense we were in on that play," said Joseph. "I had no (safety) help and they ran a corner route."

Joseph would not go so far as to say it was his worst performance in two seasons with the Bengals but last year's No. 1 draft choice has struggled for much of this season. He suffered a broken foot during June's mini-camp and has not played as consistently as he did last season when he led the team with 19 pass breakups.

[b]HALFTIME LEAD -[/b] The Bengals led 14-13 at halftime, the first time they had led going into the locker room since the season-opener against Baltimore when they were ahead of the Ravens, 12-10. The Bengals had trailed at halftime by at least 10 points in each of their last four games, rallying for a victory just once. That came against the New York Jets, who fell to 1-7 with a 23-20 overtime loss Sunday against Washington.

[b]HOLT'S RETURN -[/b] Glenn Holt's 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the second quarter gave the Bengals a 14-10 lead. It was the first kickoff return for a touchdown for the Bengals since Brandon Bennett's 94-yard score at Baltimore on Nov. 10, 2002.

It was the second touchdown of this season for Holt, and the second time his score felt hollow because of a loss. Holt caught a touchdown pass at Cleveland on Sept. 16 in the Bengals' 51-45 loss to the Browns.

"It's a good thing to happen but when you lose it means less," said Holt.

The Bills had the top-ranked kickoff coverage unit coming into the game but Holt averaged 35.2 yards on five returns. He also had a 39-yard return in the fourth quarter.

[b]INJURY REPORT -[/b] Holt left the field late in the fourth quarter with a wrist injury. ... Tight end Reggie Kelly injured a knee after making a catch and being bent back awkwardly upon being tackled. He left the post-game locker room under his own power but was limping heavily. ... Safety Herana-Daze Jones left the game in the first half with a knee injury.

[b]SKYLER SITS -[/b] Punt returner Skyler Green was on the inactive list Sunday, replaced by Antonio Chatman. Green had average 4.2 yards per return in the first seven games on nine attempts. The change did little to improve the Bengals' anemic performance in the special teams area; Chatman was forced to call fair catches on both of his attempts. Green has called for 10 fair catches this season.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071105/SPT03/711050314/1022/RSS0302"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...14/1022/RSS0302[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]No running game[/b][/size]

Rudi Johnson made his return from a hamstring injury but gained only 11 yards on nine carries.

"They just came off the ball on defense," Johnson said. "They fired off and they made plays.

"Whatever we tried to do, they found a way to stop it. We never really established anything."

Kenny Watson didn't have much more success. He had only 11 yards on four carries.

Asked about the Bills' frequent use of eight defenders near the line of scrimmage, Watson replied, "It looked like it was 12 men up there."[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/bengals/stories/2007/11/05/bengals_second1105.ART0_ART_11-05-07_C5_058CJMV.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/benga...MV.html?sid=101[/url]

[quote name='SF2' post='586486' date='Nov 5 2007, 11:27 AM']Rudi is being hit with reality. Too many carries the last 3 seasons for a power runner. The hits catch up to even the best runners.

Won't call him washed up yet but history is a bad indicator.[/quote]
This is where I'm leaning as well. Rudi had been so productive for the first 4 years of his starting RB career here that it's hard to believe that he's run into a wall already. Literally AND figuratively.
Ah well, time stops for no man.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='586214' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:48 PM'][b]Kenny is just much much better than Rudi.

Rudi is slow, small, has no jukes, pussyfoots, and SUCKS !

I hope I never see him run the ball again in stripes.

The Worst RB in the league. [/b][/quote]

you dont actually know anything about football at all do you?

drugs alcohol and outlandish is pretty much it.

Rudi losing a step... well, to me, he never really had one.

Don't get me wrong - I like the guy, and I was really pleased when they picked him up in the draft. He dominated in the SEC in that one year at Auburn ... I always thought he could be a guy who could churn out some yardage.... and he's done that. At his best, he was a guy who followed his blockers well, ran every hard, didn't dance around/hit the hole and ran downhill, and was great at getting yards after contact by breaking tackles and twisting, spinning, and leaning for extra yardage. But now, his style has changed... and even though he tries to bounce it outside (which seems more frequent these days), he just doesn't have the speed and elusiveness needed.

He's always been a pretty good blocker, and his hands, while never a strong point, have improved. I think he's got something left in the tank, but IMO, he's just not what he was. I still think he can produce, but for my money, he's not the feature back any more. Later in a game when you need a guy to help control the clock, etc. -- yes, I can see him. At that point, defenses are tired, and that's where Rudi shines as a guy who will move the chains for you.

I see his career going the way of Stephen Davis - a fellow Auburn RB who started slow, had some great years, then slowed down (and lost it) pretty quickly. Rudi's had 4 very good years, and I think if used properly, he can still be productive... Using him less could prolong his career, and if used more judiciously, he could help the team, too. Whether he's willing to accept that role is the question, so it should be an interesting off-season.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='586644' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:34 PM']drugs alcohol and outlandish[/quote]

[b]Even on drugs and alcohol ... I still would never make the outlandish statement that Rudi DOESN'T SUCK !

He's terrible ... and 95 % of all Bengals fans know it. A few can't face it though. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='586674' date='Nov 5 2007, 12:52 PM'][b]Even on drugs and alcohol ... I still would never make the outlandish statement that Rudi DOESN'T SUCK !

He's terrible ... and 95 % of all Bengals fans know it. A few can't face it though. [/b][/quote]

Never underestimate the power and seduction of self-delusion

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='586674' date='Nov 5 2007, 01:52 PM'][b]Even on drugs and alcohol ... I still would never make the outlandish statement that Rudi DOESN'T SUCK !

He's terrible ... and 95 % of all Bengals fans know it. A few can't face it though. [/b][/quote]

broke most of dillons records... what a slacker...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='586708' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:32 PM'][u]broke[/u] most of dillons records...[/quote]

[b]past tense ... + that was based solely off having large numbers of carries. His yds per carry has never really been good ... and of recent is abyssmal.

And what the hell did Dillon ever bring to Cincy ? 3-13 years, bitching, and free worn jockstraps & pads to the kid sitting in aisle 3. :rolleyes:

I don't care if Rudi used to be Walter Payton ... because right now he is the 5th ranked RB on the Bengals ... behind Chris Perry who can't even run without dislocating his nutsack. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='586713' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:36 PM'][b]past tense ... + that was based solely off having large numbers of carries. His yds per carry has never really been good ... and of recent is abyssmal.

And what the hell did Dillon ever bring to Cincy ? 3-13 years, bitching, and free worn jockstraps & pads to the kid sitting in aisle 3. :rolleyes:

I don't care if Rudi used to be Walter Payton ... because right now he is the 5th ranked RB on the Bengals ... behind Chris Perry who can't even run without dislocating his nutsack. [/b][/quote]

he has a career 4.1 average, and averaged 4.5 4.0 and 4.3 until last year at 3.8, with the make shift o line we had,and his bad back... this year is no differnt than last, he also has 9,12,12,12 td's his starting years and that half year 03...

not many facets of the team havent sucked this year.... kind of a lame arguement...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='586719' date='Nov 5 2007, 02:39 PM']he has a career 4.1 average, and averaged 4.5 4.0 and 4.3 until last year at 3.8, with the make shift o line we had,and his bad back... this year is no differnt than last, he also has 9,12,12,12 td's his starting years and that half year 03...

not many facets of the team havent sucked this year.... kind of a lame arguement...[/quote]

4221 yards on 1040 carries over the last three years is a whole bunch of hard yards. 4.06 yards a carry.

I think we need to accept that 5441 yards is a great career in the NFL and Rudi's might be coming to an end soon.

Earl Campbell was one of the best power runners ever. His first 3 season were incredible but he carried the ball a ton. His third season he averaged 5.2 yards a carry but had 373 carries. He went downhill after than. Still had 2 more good seasons but Bum Phillips ran him into the ground.

Never did pass 10000 yards and he is considered one of the best.

Rudi may be close to done. It happens.

[quote name='SF2' post='586920' date='Nov 5 2007, 05:23 PM']4221 yards on 1040 carries over the last three years is a whole bunch of hard yards. 4.06 yards a carry.

I think we need to accept that 5441 yards is a great career in the NFL and Rudi's might be coming to an end soon.

Earl Campbell was one of the best power runners ever. His first 3 season were incredible but he carried the ball a ton. His third season he averaged 5.2 yards a carry but had 373 carries. He went downhill after than. Still had 2 more good seasons but Bum Phillips ran him into the ground.

Never did pass 10000 yards and he is considered one of the best.

Rudi may be close to done. It happens.[/quote]
And Earl Campbell can barely walk now. Uses a walker, I think.
My point was to try to glean whether it's all on Rudi, or if there is some kind of animosity towards him because it seems like a different unit out there with Kenny, and it isn't just because Kenny is faster.

Archived