REDS SIGN CORDERO!!!

USN Bengal

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3124583"]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3124583[/url]

Source: Reds, closer Cordero have preliminary agreement
By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: November 23, 2007, 5:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Cincinnati Reds have reached preliminary agreement on a four-year, $46 million contract with closer Francisco Cordero, a baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com.

Francisco Cordero

Relief Pitcher
Milwaukee Brewers

2007 Season Stats GM W L BB K ERA
66 0 4 18 86 2.98

The deal, which includes a club option for a fifth year, is subject to Cordero passing a physical exam. The agreement was first reported by Foxsports.com.

Cordero, 32, has 177 career saves in nine seasons with Detroit, Texas and Milwaukee. He ranked second in the National League with 44 saves last season in Milwaukee and made the National League All-Star team.

The Brewers and Houston Astros were also pursuing Cordero before he signed with Cincinnati.

Cordero is the third prominent reliever to sign as a free agent this offseason. Mariano Rivera will return to the New York Yankees on a three-year, $45 million contract, and Scott Linebrink has agreed to a four-year, $19 million deal with the Chicago White Sox pending a physical exam.

In addition, the Philadelphia Phillies acquired closer Brad Lidge from the Houston Astros as part of a five-player trade.

Cordero helps upgrade a Cincinnati bullpen that went 23-31 last season and posted a National League-worst 5.10 ERA. David Weathers led the Reds with 33 saves, but has been a setup man for most of his major league career.

Jerry Crasnick covers Major League Baseball for ESPN Insider.

Awesome news. With a decent bullpen this team would have won 10-20 more games last year.

The team still needs work, but this is a hellova bug step in the right direction.

One thing I dont understand is the rumors that the Reds would be shopping Josh Hamilton. Thats kinda fucked up, he and Phillips were really the only bright spots on this team last year (and the NEED to lock up Phillips long term ASAP)

[quote name='big_dish' post='598074' date='Nov 24 2007, 01:20 PM']Awesome news. With a decent bullpen this team would have won 10-20 more games last year.

The team still needs work, but this is a hellova bug step in the right direction.

One thing I dont understand is the rumors that the Reds would be shopping Josh Hamilton. Thats kinda fucked up, he and Phillips were really the only bright spots on this team last year (and the NEED to lock up Phillips long term ASAP)[/quote]

Hamilton is a sentimental favorite with us fans, but he's really a boom or bust kind of a proposition. Maybe they're thinking that an established pitcher is a safer bet, although not as high of a potential ceiling. Sort of "a bird in the hand".

I think the fact that they're really high on Jay Bruce makes Hamilton a little more expendable too. I'd hate to trade Hamilton, but I can understand the thinking.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='598138' date='Nov 24 2007, 05:45 PM']Hamilton is a sentimental favorite with us fans, but he's really a boom or bust kind of a proposition. Maybe they're thinking that an established pitcher is a safer bet, although not as high of a potential ceiling. Sort of "a bird in the hand".

I think the fact that they're really high on Jay Bruce makes Hamilton a little more expendable too. I'd hate to trade Hamilton, but I can understand the thinking.[/quote]

Being high on Bruce should make Dunn or Griffey(eventually) expendable, not their best position (hamilton) player not named Phillips.

By the way I think we are 1 solid starting pitcher away from being a damn good team.

Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, (the one solid pitcher I mentioned above), and whoever wins out between Cueto, Livingston, and all those guys)

Setup men of burton, bray, weathers closer cordero

This is the lineup I would go with, even though I doubt they will bat Hamilton 4th.

1. Keppinger
2. Phillips
3. Griffey
4. Hamilton
5. Votto/Cantu
6. Dunn
7. EE
8. Ross/Valentin

With Jay bruce, hatterberg, and hopper on the bench.

Personally I think thats a pretty good team.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='598139' date='Nov 24 2007, 05:47 PM']Being high on Bruce should make Dunn or Griffey(eventually) expendable, not their best position (hamilton) player not named Phillips.[/quote]

I agree, although I'm in favor of keeping Dunn. We're basically stuck with Griffey it seems. <_<

I'm fine with being "stuck" with a HOFer who still puts up great numbers and plays great defense and will hit the 600th Home Run of his career next season. Ken Griffy Jr. is not the reason this team wasn't good last season.

Freel, on the other hand, could be the dumbest move Krivsky ever made. What the fuck was he smoking he decided to pay that completely below average, injury prone utility player $3,000,000.00?

As for the Cordero signing, I really can't see anything I don't like about it. 177 careers saves, no significant injury history or arm problems, it hurts a Central Division team while improving easily the weakest part of our team, upper 90's fastball, great slider, 3.2 something career era. Its phenominal.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='598143' date='Nov 24 2007, 05:56 PM']By the way I think we are 1 solid starting pitcher away from being a damn good team.

Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, (the one solid pitcher I mentioned above), and whoever wins out between Cueto, Livingston, and all those guys)

Setup men of burton, bray, weathers closer cordero

This is the lineup I would go with, even though I doubt they will bat Hamilton 4th.

1. Keppinger
2. Phillips
3. Griffey
4. Hamilton
5. Votto/Cantu
6. Dunn
7. EE
8. Ross/Valentin

With Jay bruce, hatterberg, and hopper on the bench.

Personally I think thats a pretty good team.[/quote]

When votto was drafted he was a catcher, so i say put him back there and move dunn to first with hamilton, bruce and griffey in the outfield... think about that lineup

1. keppinger
2. hamilton
3. griffey
4. phillips
5. bruce
6. dunn
7. votto
8. EE

:bowdown: :wub:

[quote name='Riptide' post='598165' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:42 PM']When votto was drafted he was a catcher, so i say put him back there and move dunn to first with hamilton, bruce and griffey in the outfield... think about that lineup

1. keppinger
2. hamilton
3. griffey
4. phillips
5. bruce
6. dunn
7. votto
8. EE

:bowdown: :wub:[/quote]

Now that would just be sick, but it will never happen

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='598150' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:33 PM']I'm fine with being "stuck" with a HOFer who still puts up great numbers and plays great defense and will hit the 600th Home Run of his career next season. Ken Griffy Jr. is not the reason this team wasn't good last season.

Fre[b]el, on the other hand, could be the dumbest move Krivsky ever made. What the fuck was he smoking he decided to pay that completely below average, injury prone utility player $3,000,000.00?[/b]

As for the Cordero signing, I really can't see anything I don't like about it. 177 careers saves, no significant injury history or arm problems, it hurts a Central Division team while improving easily the weakest part of our team, upper 90's fastball, great slider, 3.2 something career era. Its phenominal.[/quote]

that is the 2nd dumbest move. the dumbest move was resigning coffey.

[quote name='big_dish' post='598074' date='Nov 24 2007, 01:20 PM']Awesome news. With a decent bullpen this team would have won 10-20 more games last year.

One thing I dont understand is the rumors that the Reds would be shopping Josh Hamilton. Thats kinda fucked up, he and Phillips were really the only bright spots on this team last year (and the NEED to lock up Phillips long term ASAP)[/quote]

1) I don't remember the thread I put it in, but I stated Hamilton is the one player that should be dealt. His own admission is that he will always have chronic injuries and I just don't see the value in keeping a player who believes that. He's a great talent, but packaged with the right players (I'd say a Hamilton, Freel, maybe even a Bailey or Maloney) could net us a number 1 or number 2 pitcher that is young and proven. Hamilton could be the best athlete in the MLB for years to come, but I think I'd much rather take my chances with a proven front end of the rotation guy (which is lacking for the reds) over losing Hamiltons offense (which isn't lacking)

2) Philips is still cheap for the Reds and it doesn't make much sense to pay him when we have him locked up cheap. He'll get his pay day either next season or the season after

Archived