Mike Martz fired from Lions

Any interest? He turned Kitna into a 4,000 yard man. Imagine what he might do for Carson.

Of course he may be gunning for a HC spot, and if he is signed as an OC it would likely be ephemeral. Still, though...

(Per PFT)

[left] [b][font="Georgia"][size=3][color="#b40707"][/color][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[quote][left][b][font="Georgia"][size=3][color="#b40707"]POSTED 11:56 a.m. EST, January 2, 2008[/color][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[left] [b][font="Georgia"][size=3]MARTZ NO MORE IN MOTOWN[/size][/font][/b][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3]As first reported in this space last week (well, there goes the New Year's resolution to stop tooting our own horn), the Lions have fired offensive coordinator Mike Martz.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3]The first word of it came, as far as we can tell, via ESPN2's [i]First Take[/i].[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3]Martz spent two years in the position, and it was widely believed that he was hoping to parlay one successful season into another shot at a head-coaching gig.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3]We'd also heard that Martz has been trolling for offensive coordinator positions in other cities. And we continue to hear that rumors Martz will replace Jim Hostler in San Fran is nothing more than a figment of agent Bob Lamont's imagination.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3]Though Martz was expected to be replaced by receivers coach Kippy Brown, the job reportedly will go to offensive line coach Jim Colletto.[/size][/font][/left]
[left] [font="Georgia"][size=3][b][i]UPDATE: [/i][/b]The story comes from [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3177253"]Chris Mortensen of ESPN[/url]. Mort also reports that Brown has been promoted to assistant head coach/passing games coordinator. He also will be the running backs coach.[/size][/font][/left][/quote][left][font="Georgia"][size="3"][/size][/font][/left]

[quote name='Actium' post='617449' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:49 PM']Any interest? He turned Kitna into a 4,000 yard man. Imagine what he might do for Carson.

Of course he may be gunning for a HC spot, and if he is signed as an OC it would likely be ephemeral. Still, though...

(Per PFT)

[left] [b][font="Georgia"][size=3][color="#b40707"][/color][/size][/font][/b][/left]
[left][font="Georgia"][size="3"][/size][/font][/left][/quote]
[b]HE'S GOING TO TAKE THE 49ERS JOB[/b]

[quote name='T-Dub' post='617463' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:10 PM']No thanks, we've already got our pass-wacky "genius" OC.. still remember Martz in STL kicking a FG in the play-offs to go to OT, and losing.[/quote]

Sorry but I dont get the part about kicking a fg to go to OT...i dont remember the situation but why wouldnt he kick a fg to go to overtime? Are you saying he should have taken a risk and tried to go for it in regulation...once again I dont know the situation so that might be why im confused.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='617468' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:21 PM']Yes.[/quote]

What was the situation? Was it like going for it on 4th and 5 from the 25 with like 20 seconds left or was it like going for it on first and goal from the 5 with like 15 seconds left and no timeouts?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='617469' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:23 PM']What was the situation? Was it like going for it on 4th and 5 from the 25 with like 20 seconds left or was it like going for it on first and goal from the 5 with like 15 seconds left and no timeouts?[/quote]

I don't remember the exact situation, but there was a clear opportunity to go for the endzone, and Martz instead just let the time tick away. I remember it being a huge slap in the face of Bulger, that he didn't trust him to not fuck it up.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='617467' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:17 PM']Sorry but I dont get the part about kicking a fg to go to OT...i dont remember the situation but why wouldnt he kick a fg to go to overtime? Are you saying he should have taken a risk and tried to go for it in regulation...once again I dont know the situation so that might be why im confused.[/quote]

while I can't recall the EXACT specifics.... it was a situation where there was enough time on the clock for a couple shots at a TD. Instead he ran clock, kicked for the tie... and ended up losing the game in OT to Seattle if I'm not mistaken.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='617471' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:26 PM']I don't remember the exact situation, but there was a clear opportunity to go for the endzone, and Martz instead just let the time tick away. I remember it being a huge slap in the face of Bulger, that he didn't trust him to not fuck it up.[/quote]

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='617472' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:26 PM']while I can't recall the EXACT specifics.... it was a situation where there was enough time on the clock for a couple shots at a TD. Instead he ran clock, kicked for the tie... and ended up losing the game in OT to Seattle if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

Alright that makes sense then...

Martz was handed ateam that had just won the Super Bowl under Vermeil and turned them into losers in just three years.

Plus he will have to go to a dome team or a west coast team where the weather won't take away his passing game. You gotta run the ball to win the AFC North.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' post='617583' date='Jan 2 2008, 06:15 PM']Anyone new is going to be a breath of fresh air for this team at the OC position. Im all for Martz if he and Palmer can work the playbook to put 05 numbers on the scoreboard[/quote]

You guys are trying to get Palmer killed. THat's what happened to Warner and Bulger. Drop him back in a pass happy offense and let the D's tee off on him. It worked the first couple of years until people figured out how to stop it. He's just not that good. THe real question in Detroit is how the recievers coach got promoted? How many did he screw up?

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='617472' date='Jan 2 2008, 03:26 PM']while I can't recall the EXACT specifics.... it was a situation where there was enough time on the clock for a couple shots at a TD. Instead he ran clock, kicked for the tie... and ended up losing the game in OT to Seattle if I'm not mistaken.[/quote]

Yes, plenty of time and chose not to take several attempts at the end zone to score. Lined up to run and kick field goal.

To answer the question -------- I SURE HOPE NOTE, and I doubt he and Marvin could co-exist.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='617647' date='Jan 2 2008, 07:36 PM']You guys are trying to get Palmer killed. THat's what happened to Warner and Bulger. Drop him back in a pass happy offense and let the D's tee off on him. It worked the first couple of years until people figured out how to stop it. He's just not that good. THe real question in Detroit is how the recievers coach got promoted? How many did he screw up?[/quote]

It worked when he had the personnel for it to work. When guys left via FA and guys got old ---------- so did he.

Archived