Palmer and the Recievers...

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/[/url]

Roster analysis: Quarterbacks

Beginning today, for the next nine days, I will take a quick look at the Bengals roster by position group and seek reader response to a related question.

Today: Quarterbacks

Starter: Carson Palmer.
Backups: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeff Rowe.

Palmer, in his fourth year as starter, set a single-season franchise record with 4,131 yards, but his touchdowns were down and interceptions up in 2007. His 20 interceptions tied for most in the NFL. Palmer took every snap, fortunately, for the Bengals. They let backup Doug Johnson go after the last preseason game and traded for Fitzpatrick. As long as Palmer is healthy, the Bengals are strong at quarterback and a competitive team.
[b]
It's estimated that 80 percent of the Palmer throws in 2007 that looked errant were indeed the responsibility of receivers running the incorrect route, even by a yard or two. The line protected the quick-thinking Palmer, who rarely holds onto the football too long, with a frachise single-season low 17 sacks. The team's receivers need to regain the route-running discipline that abandoned them too frequently this past season. A consistent run offense also would help.[/b]

Question: Do the Bengals need to shop in the offseason for a more qualified backup than Fitzpatrick?

[quote name='Ben' post='625589' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:32 AM'][url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/[/url]

It's estimated that 80 percent of the Palmer throws in 2007 that looked errant were indeed the responsibility of receivers running the incorrect route, even by a yard or two.[/quote]

damn, we miss you, hue.

That 80% figure doesn't surprise me...But it seems to easy to put it on the loss of Hue Jackson. Those guys were all veterans (including Henry) and they have to take responsibility at this point in their careers. It's sad.

BZ

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625601' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:44 AM']I'll believe the 80% when I see it from a more credible source.[/quote]

It must suck living live not believing a word anyone says, and thinking you're smarter and better than everyone, and would be able to be a writer for a newspaper.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='625613' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:42 AM']It must suck living live not believing a word anyone says, and thinking you're smarter and better than everyone, and would be able to be a writer for a newspaper.[/quote]

it must suck knowing the highlight of your day is trying to act like an internet tough guy.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='625613' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:42 AM']It must suck living live not believing a word anyone says, and thinking you're smarter and better than everyone, and would be able to be a writer for a newspaper.[/quote]

Well the ONLY people who could come up with this number are the Bengal coaches. No one else would know what the routes were supposed to be. So Curnette must have gotten this from someone in the Bengals orginization.

My question is will Chad be pissed about the coaches giving out this type of information?

[quote name='fredtoast' post='625640' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:39 AM']Well the ONLY people who could come up with this number are the Bengal coaches. No one else would know what the routes were supposed to be. So Curnette must have gotten this from someone in the Bengals orginization.

My question is will Chad be pissed about the coaches giving out this type of information?[/quote]

yeah, i'd have to agree with that. curnette wouldn't pull such a figure out of his ass.

[quote name='TheBZ' post='625599' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:42 AM']That 80% figure doesn't surprise me...But it seems to easy to put it on the loss of Hue Jackson. Those guys were all veterans (including Henry) and they have to take responsibility at this point in their careers. It's sad.

BZ[/quote]

oh, i'm not heaping all that on hue's back. i'm just saying their was more crispness to our passing game when he was here. you seldom saw the qb's and wr's scratching their heads, or yelling at each other after incompletions. for whatever reason, shephard didn't have the right communication with his receivers. maybe that should have been addressed in the off season.

If the 80% figure is true (IF) then that is on the coaches not the players. Coaches are the ones who demand these things, practice the hell out of them, and enforce route discipline. If or WRs are walking thru these routes then something should have been done early in the season. They ran good routes in 05 so we know they can. Repitition is the key to running good routes.

Again, thats IF.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625601' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:44 AM']I'll believe the 80% when I see it from a more credible source.[/quote]

Curnutte posted today that

[quote]Postscript: The 80-percent stat attributing those incomplete passes to route-running errors in the quarterbacks installment is an estimate that came from inside the Bengals organization.[/quote]

But with Hobson "The Rumor-Monger" that does't mean much.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625658' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:07 PM']Curnutte posted today that

But with Hobson "The Rumor-Monger" that does't mean much.[/quote]

thanks for the post, that at least gives it credibility than just pulling out some random stat with no backup. Hopefully its not the same source who said we were announcing the new LB coach last Thursday.

[quote name='SF2' post='625656' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:59 AM']If the 80% figure is true (IF) then that is on the coaches not the players. Coaches are the ones who demand these things, practice the hell out of them, and enforce route discipline. If or WRs are walking thru these routes then something should have been done early in the season. They ran good routes in 05 so we know they can. Repitition is the key to running good routes.

Again, thats IF.[/quote]

Using this logic the players are NEVER responsible for ANY mistake.

I think that is going a little too far. At some point you have to hold the players responsible for their play.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625664' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:15 PM']honestly, I think we should hope that it IS carson. If it wasn't, that meant that pretty much our entire WR corp was running wrong routes on a relatively consistent basis. It wasn't just one WR, it 3-4.[/quote]

Also some of the routes must have called for the receiver to run out of bounds or leap 10 feet in the air.

Or maybe those high throws were the 20% that were Carson's fault. I don't know, but it seemed like he was overthrowing high a lot more than that.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='625668' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:17 PM']Also some of the routes must have called for the receiver to run out of bounds or leap 10 feet in the air.

Or maybe those high throws were the 20% that were Carson's fault. I don't know, but it seemed like he was overthrowing high a lot more than that.[/quote]

agreed. IMO it was more because of a jittery carson, not because of the WR's. Not that any of the WR's are blameless. I just find it hard to believe that we had multiple WR's running wrong routes, etc..

And as you said, the overthrown balls.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='625662' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:11 PM']Using this logic the players are NEVER responsible for ANY mistake.

I think that is going a little too far. At some point you have to hold the players responsible for their play.[/quote]

80% is not a mistake, its a trend. I didn't say the players had no responsibility but if the figure is 80% then it is more than just the players.

On the other hand "Source inside the Bengals Organization" includes ball-boys, janitors, secretaries, and I suppose Curnette if hes posting from PBS.

If it was a coaching evaluation, why not say so?

Well, in my opinion Carson may have been a bit off for a number of reasons, I don't doubt he can come back and play well. I worry more about
the line and RB situations than even the Wideout situation. Since our Offense gets 60 pct of the salary, they need to be better than they were last
year, more consistent, and take pressure off the weaker defense.

[quote name='SF2' post='625673' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:23 PM']80% is not a mistake, its a trend. I didn't say the players had no responsibility but if the figure is 80% then it is more than just the players.[/quote]

tabernacle

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625664' date='Jan 22 2008, 12:15 PM']honestly, I think we should hope that it IS carson. If it wasn't, that meant that pretty much our entire WR corp was running wrong routes on a relatively consistent basis. It wasn't just one WR, it 3-4.[/quote]

Hard to believe all the receivers are running wrong routes....
Is Mike Sheppard coaching them or have they tuned him out???

I would imagine its a little bit QB little bit WR and little bit Oline.....add them all up and you get a BIG BIT!
Im not too concerned about any of it.
I think Palmer had an off year by his standards.. same may be true for Chad .
TJ was good but the rest of the wideouts showed me little to nothing......damn injuries didnt help.
The Oline should be better next year...

The defense is more of a concern to me.....

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625744' date='Jan 22 2008, 03:59 PM']Shop Fitzpatrick??? WTF??? The guy is a quality backup with a better arm than shitna and has won games with the Rams.

No we dont need to shop Fitz.[/quote]

We have to sign him before we can shop him anyway. Hes a FA, right?

Archived