CB Jack Ikegwuonu Blows Out Knee - Stuck in Draft

Jason

Link: [url="http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2008/01/24/ikegwuono-blow-out-knee-won-t-play-in-08.aspx"]http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/...play-in-08.aspx[/url]

[quote][b][size=4]Ikegwuonu blows out knee, won't play in '08[/size][/b]
By Bob McGinn
Thursday, Jan 24 2008, 02:31 PM
Green Bay - Jack Ikegwuonu, the former University of Wisconsin cornerback, blew out his knee Tuesday in a training exercise and won't play football in 2008.

Ikegwuonu suffered tears of both his anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments as well as damage to his kneecap, according to a source close to the situation, and will need reconstructive knee surgery.

He was working out at Perfect Competition, a training facility in Davie, Fla., when the incident occurred.

Ikegwuonu, who earlier in the month decided to leave UW a year early, was pulling a sled designed to improve his speed when the injury occurred. He exploded out of a start, planted his leg and the knee buckled.

The injury will all but eliminate Ikegwuonu's chances of being selected April 26-27 in the National Football League draft. It's possible a team might take him in a late round and bring along for 2009.

"He's screwed now," an executive in personnel for an NFL team said. "He wasn't going to be that high of a pick, anyway. Fourth round.

"I blame the agent for talking the kid into coming out. Stupid. Because he wasn't a first-day player."

Ikegwuonu signed with agent Drew Rosenhaus on Jan. 5 and declared for the draft before the Jan. 15 deadline. Players had until Jan. 19 to change their minds and regain their collegiate eligibility.

At Wisconsin, Ikegwuonu intercepted six passes in three seasons. He made the All-Big Ten team as a junior in 2007.

Ikegwuonu was regarded by some scouts as a solid prospect on the basis of size and speed but was downgraded because of his performance this season.

"You've got to play, too," the scout said.[/quote]

Spend a lte pick on him, let him learn the defense, and in 09 when Deltha is gone, we have a cheap, skilled, young replacement.

What do you think?

[quote name='Jason' post='626700' date='Jan 25 2008, 07:45 AM']Link: [url="http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2008/01/24/ikegwuono-blow-out-knee-won-t-play-in-08.aspx"]http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/...play-in-08.aspx[/url]

Spend a lte pick on him, let him learn the defense, and in 09 when Deltha is gone, we have a cheap, skilled, young replacement.

What do you think?[/quote]

not a bad idea. I was thinking we take a CB in the mid rounds anyway to groom behind Deltha, this would allow us to use a lower pick. He does have a red flag for burglarly, but I think he's stayed clean the last 2 years.

I don't know that he has the money, but honestly I'd go back and get my degree, rehab, and enter the draft next year.

I'd risk a 6th on him for sure.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='626731' date='Jan 25 2008, 10:35 AM']I really liked him going into the draft. Late 1st-2nd round prospect. I could see a 5th-6th round pick on him, he certainly has a ton of potential.[/quote]

You sure? The article says this guy was graded to the 4th round - "He wasn't going to be that high of a pick, anyway. Fourth round. I blame the agent for talking the kid into coming out. Stupid. Because he wasn't a first-day player." And that was before he was coming off reconstructive surgery for two ligaments.

He now may have a criminal record. Like Akili I thought he was a late first early second. He is all over the board on draft sites.

Talk about an unfortunate series of events. If blowing out a knee wasn't enough, Jack Ikegwuonu is now being charged with stealing an XBOX. How dumb can you be? Why would you risk your draft stock for an XBOX? An XBOX 360 I can understand, but an ordinary XBOX? Talk about being stupid.

Ikegwuonu has declared for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Ikegwuonu is definitely coming into his own - in back-to-back weeks, he shut down James Hardy and Mario Manningham.

Once concern - I guess Wisconsin boosters don't pay their players; Ikegwuonu was charged with breaking into an apartment and stealing an XBox 360 (he couldn't find anything more expensive?)

He impressed me when I'd seen him play, but as others have indicated, he's had some off-field stuff. Plus, that's a very serious knee injury - not just ACL, but also MCL and partial patella. This, for a position where change of direction skills are critical, as Vol mentioned.

I'd keep an eye on him through his rehab, but I wouldn't draft him, personally.

Ikegweonu had major damage done to his knee....he can rehab but Im thinking it may be a long time to get back the burst and speed he had if ever....
Add to the fact that he still has to stand trial for burglary that he and his twin brother alledgedly did (broke into an apartment and stole an Xbox)....thats alot of baggage on a guy that was inconsistent
for Wisconsin this year...
Id pass on him and use the pick for someone in the sixth or seventh round that can help on special teams while developing .....

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='627325' date='Jan 27 2008, 03:57 AM']Ikegweonu had major damage done to his knee....he can rehab but Im thinking it may be a long time to get back the burst and speed he had if ever....
Add to the fact that he still has to stand trial for burglary that he and his twin brother alledgedly did (broke into an apartment and stole an Xbox)....thats alot of baggage on a guy that was inconsistent
for Wisconsin this year...
Id pass on him and use the pick for someone in the sixth or seventh round that can help on special teams while developing .....[/quote]

I agree. I think he was a pretty good player, but not anything really special to start with. If you are going to spend a draft pick on somebody with a serious injury that will keep him out for a year and also threatens his career long term and who has character concerns, the potential payoff better be really, really high and I just don't see that with Ikegwounu.

If he would have stayed for his senior season he would have been for sure a top 15 pick, and in a battle with Malcom Jenkins for the best corner in the draft. Don't be mistaken, the dude has a world of talent. I doubt we take him though with the character concerns.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='627313' date='Jan 27 2008, 01:08 AM']Sehorn had nearly the same injury in 97, I believe. He never got the speed back and was never the same again.[/quote]

That was 11 years ago, aka the dark ages of knee surgery.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='627414' date='Jan 27 2008, 01:44 PM']If he would have stayed for his senior season he would have been for sure a top 15 pick, and in a battle with Malcom Jenkins for the best corner in the draft. Don't be mistaken, the dude has a world of talent. I doubt we take him though with the character concerns.[/quote]

I very much disagree with you. I've seen him play quite a bit and he is a nice player, but he was never going to be a top 15 pick. He just doesn't have the quickness to be a great NFL corner. He's got a bit of Kiewan Ratliff to his game. Even healthy, he's just a solid nickle or a decent starter in a Cover 2. Add in the character questions and I just don't think he was ever anywhere near the top 15.

[quote name='happyrid' post='627907' date='Jan 28 2008, 11:04 PM']I very much disagree with you. I've seen him play quite a bit and he is a nice player, but he was never going to be a top 15 pick. He just doesn't have the quickness to be a great NFL corner. He's got a bit of Kiewan Ratliff to his game. Even healthy, he's just a solid nickle or a decent starter in a Cover 2. Add in the character questions and I just don't think he was ever anywhere near the top 15.[/quote]
Yeah he was quite highly regarded as a college player. He was pretty raw, but he had all the physical tools. I don't get the Ratliff comparison, it makes me think you have never seen him play. He was pretty physical and had 4.3 speed, definitely not Ratliff.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='627911' date='Jan 28 2008, 11:20 PM']Yeah he was quite highly regarded as a college player. He was pretty raw, but he had all the physical tools. I don't get the Ratliff comparison, it makes me think you have never seen him play. He was pretty physical and had 4.3 speed, definitely not Ratliff.[/quote]

I don't buy the 4.3 speed. I'd bet you he'd be more in the 4.5 range, but there is no way we would ever be able to settle that bet now. Ask any Wisconsin fan and they will tell you that their LB Casillas is faster than Ikegwounu and he's not a 4.3 guy either. Believe me or not, but I've seen the guy play quite a bit and he does not have the speed or change of direction skills to be a star in the NFL, in my opinion.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your opinions, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one. And we'll never really know who was right due to his injury.

Archived