Who’s up / Who’s down

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='685374' date='Aug 7 2008, 03:02 PM']lmao. this team is going to use a FB. We will run 2 TE way more htan 3 WR. Our WRs cant block for sure. They will keep a FB around because their favorite running play with Rudi involves a good ass FB. Our coaches arent fucking idiots they arent dumb enough to actually have 0 FBs at any time. JJ is on this team. [b]No fucking way was he ever going to get cut.[/b][/quote]

I'll remember that when he gets cut. I'll store it next to your "Clemons was better than Pennington last year" proclamation. :lol:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='685373' date='Aug 7 2008, 03:01 PM']while I love the sentiment, Bradley is slower than Rudi.[/quote]

How much slower? Now if Rudi has a lingering hamstring injury like he did last season, do you really want to go back to the run into the line for minimal gain gameplan again? See the problem I see with Rudi is that if he is injured it wont be until week 5 until that they realize they need to go in a different direction at Rb. I just think Rudi hurts the offense and they are going to use him a lot this year.

It would be really really tough for this team to cut Jeremi. Regardless of what you may think, going with Coats would be a huge step back. Jeremi knows this system and his blocking assignments very well while Coats is just learning how to play the position. I wish switching was just that easy, but it's not.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='685390' date='Aug 7 2008, 04:58 PM']It would be really really tough for this team to cut Jeremi. Regardless of what you may think, going with Coats would be a huge step back. Jeremi knows this system and his blocking assignments very well while Coats is just learning how to play the position. I wish switching was just that easy, but it's not.[/quote]
While I agree it would be a step back as far as production, I like the message it would send to the young players about being serious about taking care of yourself during the offseason. How many seasons has Johnson showed up out of shape? He needs to be held accountable for not trying to improve IMO. He got a fat contract a couple years ago, and he's been fat ever since.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='685413' date='Aug 7 2008, 06:06 PM'][b]While I agree it would be a step back as far as production,[/b] I like the message it would send to the young players about being serious about taking care of yourself during the offseason. How many seasons has Johnson showed up out of shape? He needs to be held accountable for not trying to improve IMO. He got a fat contract a couple years ago, and he's been fat ever since.[/quote]

Well said and totally agree. There is absolutely no reason to come in as a fatass every offseason. Time to move on IF Coats (and Kelly - don't forget him as he probably played more snaps last year as an H-back than JJ played as a fullback - and yes I pulled that from my ass - but it seemed that way).

And you have to add to the equation what Coats can do from the playcalling/scheme that would be more the fatass JJ could provide. Basically JJ better blocker vs. Coats who will give defensives more to think about. Which is greater? I won't pretend to know but it is not as easy as one would portray when it comes to JJ v. Coats (and Kelly).

For August 8th . . .

[quote][size=3][b]WHO'S ON THE WAY UP / WHO'S ON THE WAY DOWN
On the rise:[/b][/size] It's too bad that Chad Johnson's showmanship, bluster and self-promoting ways turn off some fans. He is a really good football player. Thursday afternoon at practice, a large amount of time was spent on a one-on-one drill with receivers working against defensive backs. Johnson worked exceptionally hard. He dove and tight-rope-walked the sideline and ran hard on deep routes. His ankle looked healthy.

[b]Slipping:[/b] Rookie free-agent receiver Maurice Purify was among the players called out during practice Thursday. He failed to read a defensive play correctly and break off his route when there was a blitz. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski yelled at Purify and then talked to him at length. Purify had big numbers at Nebraska and will get a look in preseason.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080808/SPT02/808080414"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SPT02/808080414[/url]

For today . . .

[quote][b][size=3]Who's on the way up / who's on the way down[/size]
On the rise:[/b] There might not be a steadier, more unassuming player on the Bengals roster than tailback Kenny Watson. For all of the talk of the beefed-up Rudi Johnson and resurrected Chris Perry, the Bengals know they can rely on Watson to be there when needed. He is having another dependable camp, coming off a season when he stepped in and led the team with 763 rushing yards and had 52 receptions - a solid pro.

[b]Slipping:[/b] A day after getting chewed out on the field for not knowing his assignment on a play, defensive end Frostee Rucker - who had been running with the first team at right end in place of the injured Antwan Odom - was replaced on the starting unit by Jonathan Fanene. Even if Odom recovers sooner than later from his sprained foot, the Bengals need Rucker to play well and contribute.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080809/SPT02/808090379"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...SPT02/808090379[/url]

[quote][b][size=5]Who's up / Who's down[/size]

On the rise:[/b] The difference between winning and losing in the NFL can be as simple as staying healthy. One of the reasons the Bengals got off to a terrible start in 2007 was that left tackle Levi Jones was behind physically (knee) when training camp started and he needed time to work himself up to speed. He still ended the season as a third alternate to the Pro Bowl. This year Jones is healthy, which bodes well for the team.

[b]Slipping:[/b] They're not in danger of losing their jobs, of course, but punter Kyle Larson and kicker Shayne Graham had slow starts to the preseason Monday night, Marvin Lewis said. Larson, booming the ball in camp, had a 32-yard punt on his first attempt, followed by 44 and 42. Lewis said Graham had to do better. His first three kickoffs didn't cross the end zone, allowing for decent returns.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080814/SPT02/808140400/1066"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../808140400/1066[/url]

[quote name='MESP' post='687513' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:47 AM']I'd still like hime to kick the ball to the endzone an a regular basis[/quote]

He had 2 touchbacks Monday night. That's more than some kickers get in a season.

[quote name='MESP' post='687513' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:47 AM']I'd still like hime to kick the ball to the endzone an a regular basis[/quote]

This is really overrated. I would rather I well placed kick with great hang-time that gives the coverage team time to 'pen in' the returner...

What good is a kick in the endzone if it's a line drive?

I call bullshit on the Shayne Graham slipping comments.

He made his FGs and had two touchbacks, and kicked the rest at the 5 or better. Give me a ^%$n break.

Ok...I feel better.

Besides...if he kicks em all for touchbacks in friggin preseason (what a waste of leg before the season starts), how will the coverage team get any real work to improve???

Stupid comment

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='687578' date='Aug 14 2008, 01:54 PM']I'd like to see the other kickers' preseason stats.

Man I'm really pissed about that comment. After all the shit that game, that's what we highlight in the slipping column????????[/quote]

Relax Sis... If this is the greatest injustice levied against our players this season by the media I will be a happy man...

Shayne is fine, it will take more than some misguided words on a blog to convince true football fans that Shayne is anything but a golden goose for this team.

I know Lucid. But it's Marvin's comments that annoy me.

As a general rule, coaches really don't understand kickers, or the kicking game (related to just the kicking part). And after Mondays game, I'm surprised those comments were made. Just an overall frustration...goes back to stuff before the Bengals too. I'm just in a mood I guess.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='687590' date='Aug 14 2008, 02:19 PM']I know Lucid. But it's Marvin's comments that annoy me.

As a general rule, coaches really don't understand kickers, or the kicking game (related to just the kicking part). And after Mondays game, I'm surprised those comments were made. Just an overall frustration...goes back to stuff before the Bengals too. I'm just in a mood I guess.[/quote]

Well, as far as Marvin goes, it's hard to know the motivation behind what he said. He (and you) would know Shaynes buttons better than I. Perhaps he is just trying to keep Shayne with his best foot forward.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='687590' date='Aug 14 2008, 01:19 PM']I know Lucid. But it's Marvin's comments that annoy me.

As a general rule, coaches really don't understand kickers, or the kicking game (related to just the kicking part). And after Mondays game, I'm surprised those comments were made. Just an overall frustration...goes back to stuff before the Bengals too. I'm just in a mood I guess.[/quote]

Well it could have been taken out of context as well. A question such as "what do your kickers need to work on?" or What do you need from your special teams?" could have triggered the response. I seriously Doubt that Marvin is too worried about him, as this team has much bigger problems.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='687590' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:19 AM']I know Lucid. But it's Marvin's comments that annoy me.

I thought Marvin was referring to the Mock Game where Shayne missed a couple of FGs, actually when I read that, not the game Monday.

[quote name='Oldcat' post='687668' date='Aug 14 2008, 06:32 PM']I thought Marvin was referring to the Mock Game where Shayne missed a couple of FGs, actually when I read that, not the game Monday.[/quote]

No those comments were from Monday. But whatever. For now, I'll just assume the context was wrong. Media messes that up a lot anyway.

[quote name='BengalSIS' post='687782' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:34 AM']No those comments were from Monday. But whatever. For now, I'll just assume the context was wrong. Media messes that up a lot anyway.[/quote]

So are you like related to Shayne Graham or something?

Should I hesitate before criticizing him?

Having a kicker thats money from 30-45 yards is what every team aspires to have because more points is good. Graham is certainly that. But having a kicker that is clutch = wins. Graham is not that. There is only one guy ahead of him on the all time most accurate kicker list...and he doesn't have a job. He was dropped from his perrenial playoff team because of one thing...he couldn't make the kick when it counted.

Its not even kicks at the end of the game, you know. Its driving for 8 minutes against the Steelers in a tie game and not coming away with points before the half. The guy only misses 3-4 kicks a season but it season that every one would have won us a game.

Theres not a better option out there so there is no point argueing about getting a new kicker but man, ask yourself: if you're kicking for the win in NE, its freezing rain and 15-20 mph winds, your 37 yards out on the left hashmark...do you want Jeff Reed, Matt Stover or Shayne Graham making the kick. My money is on Reed and Stover

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='687786' date='Aug 15 2008, 12:04 PM']So are you like related to Shayne Graham or something?

Having a kicker thats money from 30-45 yards is what every team aspires to have because more points is good. Graham is certainly that. But having a kicker that is clutch = wins. Graham is not that. There is only one guy ahead of him on the all time most accurate kicker list...and he doesn't have a job. He was dropped from his perrenial playoff team because of one thing...he couldn't make the kick when it counted.

Its not even kicks at the end of the game, you know. Its driving for 8 minutes against the Steelers in a tie game and not coming away with points before the half. The guy only misses 3-4 kicks a season but it season that every one would have won us a game.

Theres not a better option out there so there is no point argueing about getting a new kicker but man, ask yourself: if you're kicking for the win in NE, its freezing rain and 15-20 mph winds, your 37 yards out on the left hashmark...do you want Jeff Reed, Matt Stover or Shayne Graham making the kick. My money is on Reed and Stover[/quote]

He's too young to make that kind of judgement.. Basically he's fucked up badly one time (you can't count any miss in a game where that turned out to be the margin of defeat, I'm talking about "walk-off kicks"). The other miss was a bad snap.

You gotta cut the guy a little slack.. Reed and Stover had almost 20 years in the league. I am quite certain if you go back through their carreers you will find at least a couple misses in critical situations.

And Vanderjagt was let go because he had a HUGE alcohol problem... If it were just that he missed clutch kicks he would still be playing with someone in the NFL.. You don't go from most accurate kicker in history to NFL washout just because you missed a few critical kicks. Showing up drunk/sick to games will do it though.

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='687786' date='Aug 15 2008, 11:04 AM']So are you like related to Shayne Graham or something?

Theres not a better option out there so there is no point argueing about getting a new kicker but man, ask yourself: if you're kicking for the win in NE, its freezing rain and 15-20 mph winds, your 37 yards out on the left hashmark...do you want Jeff Reed, Matt Stover or Shayne Graham making the kick. My money is on Reed and Stover[/quote]

HA...you are funny. I like you.

He IS clutch. I guess the season he was 3-3 on game winners doesn't count because he missed ONE kick (arguably stolen by the wind) in a season where the whole team fucked up.

You don't make the % of kicks he has made in his career without making a lot of very important (aka clutch) kicks. Like the 40+ yarder last season in the 4th quarter against....someone..can't remember, to keep the lead such that they needed a TD instead of FG to win the game.

And he's been clutch since high school when he made game winning kicks in freakin cold mountain winds to put his team in the state finals for the first time in years.

One particularly nice "clutch" kick from VT can be seen here. Carry on...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm3nfLFTmaU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm3nfLFTmaU...feature=related[/url]

He's missed a FG against BAL every year since 2004, and atleast 1 against PIT each year since 2005 on top of not kicking the team into the playoffs in 06.

Obviously a team can overcome a missed FG in the second qtr...but you guys are kidding yourself if you don't think missed FGs can change the outcome of a game where momentum is paramount. Every loss we've had to Shitsburgh in the ML era we have been in the game unitl 1 singular point where the momentum is gone and the team is deflated...be it a 3rd and 8 conversion on the ground where Parker breaks 3 tackles, or Big Jen scrambling to pick up a first on 4th down, or Graham missing a FG after a big drive. I don't trust him. He's great until we need him, then he's just average.

Bold prediction: Graham is playin elsewhere next year.

Archived